* problem about boot
@ 2003-10-22 13:28 lky
From: lky @ 2003-10-22 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SELINUX

Hi,I installed 2.6-based SELinux (linux-2.6-2003100110.tgz) on Redhat9.0.But when I reboot with the initrd I got the kernel panic,as below:
Mounting /proc filesystem
Creating block devices
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 19 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed : 2
umount /initrd/proc failed : 2
Freeing unused kernel memory : 232k freed
kernel panic : No init found . Try passing init = option to kernel
The policy has been loaded before this. And I got the same result if I reboot the kernel with it's own initrd. So I think the initrd isn't the reason. Have I wrongly configured the kernel?
Thanks!

* Re: problem about boot
@ 2003-10-22 21:23   ` lky
From: lky @ 2003-10-22 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eamon Walsh; +Cc: SELINUX

> Your kernel must be configured with built-in ext3 support if your root
> partition is ext3.
>
> --Eamon

Right!I had configured the ext3 as a module at first.
Then I configured my kernel again with ext3 built-in the kernel.But when I make modules_install I found the following messages:
depmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.6.0-test6-selinux1/kernel/drivers/atm/eni.ko
depmod:  suni_init
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.6.0-test6-selinux1/kernel/drivers/atm/idt77252.ko
depmod:  suni_init
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.6.0-test6-selinux1/kernel/drivers/atm/iphase.ko
depmod:  suni_init
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.6.0-test6-selinux1/kernel/drivers/atm/nicstar.ko
depmod:  suni_init
depmod:  idt77105_init
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.6.0-test6-selinux1/kernel/drivers/atm/zatm.ko
depmod:  uPD98402_init
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.6.0-test6-selinux1/kernel/drivers/block/paride/aten.ko
depmod:  pi_register
However the installation didn't stop.This time I can reboot with the new kernel. But I found many modules such as my network card and loopback device can't be automatically loaded to work .Why can't I configure them as modules now? I can do that with 2.4 kernels before.
Thanks!

* Re: problem about boot
@ 2003-10-23 17:22 ` Eamon Walsh
From: Eamon Walsh @ 2003-10-23 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lky; +Cc: SELINUX

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh@epoch.ncsc.mil>

* Re: problem about boot
@ 2003-10-23 18:22 ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2003-10-23 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lky; +Cc: SELINUX

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 09:28, lky wrote:
> Hi,I installed 2.6-based SELinux (linux-2.6-2003100110.tgz) on
> Redhat9.0.But when I reboot with the initrd I got the kernel panic,as
> below:

Just FYI, Arjan van de Ven of Red Hat is maintaining kernel source and
binary RPMs for the 2.6 kernel (including SELinux) available under
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5, and Dan Walsh of Red Hat
maintaining source and binary RPMs for the userland components available
under ftp://people.redhat.com/dwalsh/SELinux, along with example
kickstart files and a selUpgrade script to upgrade a Fedora or RHEL3
system to SELinux.  Also, note that if you use Dan's patched init
program (available from his RPMs), you don't have to modify your initrd
for SELinux, and if you use his pam_selinux module, you don't have to
install patched versions of login or sshd, as long as you update their
PAM configurations to use pam_selinux as a session module.  This may
save you some difficulty in installing SELinux.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency

* Re: problem about boot
@ 2003-10-23 23:19     ` Eamon Walsh
From: Eamon Walsh @ 2003-10-23 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lky; +Cc: SELINUX

You need new modutils for the 2.6 kernel.  You can get them from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules
(I'd suggest using the SRPM at the bottom of the list).

You also need to change /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit to make the modules load
automatically.  See the "Modules" section of:
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt

And looking ahead, once you get the 2.6 kernel working, rpm is not going
to work.  To fix that, see the "Regressions" section of the same
document.

--Eamon

@ 2003-10-24 13:38       ` James Morris
From: James Morris @ 2003-10-24 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eamon Walsh; +Cc: lky, SELINUX

On 23 Oct 2003, Eamon Walsh wrote:

> You need new modutils for the 2.6 kernel.  You can get them from
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules
> (I'd suggest using the SRPM at the bottom of the list).
>
> You also need to change /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit to make the modules load
> automatically.  See the "Modules" section of:
> http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
>
> And looking ahead, once you get the 2.6 kernel working, rpm is not going
> to work.  To fix that, see the "Regressions" section of the same
> document.

Another option is to download and install Fedora, as it is set up for 2.6
kernels.

- James
--
James Morris
<jmorris@redhat.com>

* Re: problem about boot
@ 2003-11-14 20:26   ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2003-11-14 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick; +Cc: Richard Herbert Wanner, SELINUX

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 14:47, Nick wrote:
> Why do I have to do this! I understand the mechanics of what is
> happening. I am just unclear as to why the SELinux kernel can't handle
> the label or why it doesn't install as /dev/hdxx or appropriate.

It isn't a kernel issue; it is an initrd issue.  You can boot with
root=LABEL=/ with SELinux if you are using an initrd.

--

@ 2003-11-14 19:47 ` Nick
From: Nick @ 2003-11-14 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Herbert Wanner; +Cc: SELINUX

--
Nick Gray
Senior Network Engineer

* Re: problem about boot
@ 2003-10-23 16:26 Richard Herbert Wanner
From: Richard Herbert Wanner @ 2003-10-23 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lky; +Cc: SELINUX

Just a guess... but did you remember to change the root=LABEL=/ entry
in your bootloader file to root=/dev/hda2 (or whatever the root is on
your system).

Rick