* Video mirroring with radeon mobility 9600
@ 2003-10-28 22:59 Ken Offer
From: Ken Offer @ 2003-10-28 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppcdev

Hi all,

Anyone out there had any luck getting video mirroring to work on the
2003 15" PowerBook?

My modified 2.4 kernel won't mirror.
I've tried the latest radeon driver from the 2.6 kernel and I can't get
it to work either.

The yaconf boot parameters I used under the 2.6 were:

	append="hdc=ide-scsi video=radeonfb:dfp,mirror"

I hooked up a flat-screen monitor to the laptop via a digital-to-vga
cable.  When mirroring is suppose to come on, I get something which
looks like Open-Firmware text on the other monitor.

I've tried modifying m3mirror to access the radeon driver.  It appears
to turn the lcd and crt displays on and off, but it still doesn't
mirror.  I'm still stuck with the OpenFirmware display.

I'm thinking something must be different about mirroring in the
mobility chips which isn't accounted for in the radeon driver.

| Ken Offer                               Office: 512-835-3859 |
| Email: koffer@arlut.utexas.edu             Fax: 512-835-3259 |
| Applied Research Laboratories, University of Texas at Austin |

* Re: Video mirroring with radeon mobility 9600
@ 2003-10-28 23:25 ` mutex
From: mutex @ 2003-10-28 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Offer; +Cc: linuxppcdev

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 04:59:49PM -0600 or thereabouts, Ken Offer wrote:

> Anyone out there had any luck getting video mirroring to work on the
> 2003 15" PowerBook?

i have a 9000 and i have gotten mirroring working in X only.  BenH can
respond more in depth... but what I have found is that you:

1) plug in the external video
2) modify X config to have an alternate resolution, that is what is
required by the external source
3) start X with modified X config, and it 'just works'

this worked for me.. i can post my config file somewhere if you like.

> My modified 2.4 kernel won't mirror.
> I've tried the latest radeon driver from the 2.6 kernel and I can't get
> it to work either.
>
> The yaconf boot parameters I used under the 2.6 were:
>
> 	append="hdc=ide-scsi video=radeonfb:dfp,mirror"

my experience is that the mirror option just plain doesn't work.

> I hooked up a flat-screen monitor to the laptop via a digital-to-vga
> cable.  When mirroring is suppose to come on, I get something which
> looks like Open-Firmware text on the other monitor.
>
> I've tried modifying m3mirror to access the radeon driver.  It appears
> to turn the lcd and crt displays on and off, but it still doesn't
> mirror.  I'm still stuck with the OpenFirmware display.

iirc m3mirror is for r128 chips.

* Re: Video mirroring with radeon mobility 9600
@ 2003-10-29  0:22 ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2003-10-29  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Offer; +Cc: linuxppcdev

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 09:59, Ken Offer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone out there had any luck getting video mirroring to work on the
> 2003 15" PowerBook?
>
> My modified 2.4 kernel won't mirror.
> I've tried the latest radeon driver from the 2.6 kernel and I can't get
> it to work either.

The whole mirroring thing must be re-implemented differently. It's
on my todolist, though not done yet

Ben.

* Re: Video mirroring with radeon mobility 9600
@ 2003-10-29 20:19   ` Ken Offer
From: Ken Offer @ 2003-10-29 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt; +Cc: linuxppcdev

On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 06:22  PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
wrote:

> The whole mirroring thing must be re-implemented differently. It's
> on my todolist, though not done yet
>
> Ben.

Hi Ben,

I'd like to try to get mirroring working.  Unfortunately, I don't have
technical documentation on the Radeon 9600 Mobility chipset.  Is there
a document somewhere on-line I can consult?

The "ATI Radeon display support" page when I do a "make menuconfig" in
the 2.6 kernel source refers to this page:

	http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products/pc/radeon32/index.html

Unfortunately its a broken link.

I've been hunting around on www.ati.com.  I can find tons of product
descriptions, product announcements, application demo code and
pre-built drivers.  Unfortunately that doesn't help when you need to
know what bit in what hardware register to twiddle. :)

@ 2003-10-30  1:39     ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2003-10-30  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Offer; +Cc: linuxppcdev

> I've been hunting around on www.ati.com.  I can find tons of product
> descriptions, product announcements, application demo code and
> pre-built drivers.  Unfortunately that doesn't help when you need to
> know what bit in what hardware register to twiddle. :)

Specs won't help you much I'm sure ;)

Look at the XFree source. But I'm in the process of implementing this
in my new radeonfb

Ben.