From: Steve Grubb <sgrubb@redhat.com>
To: linux-audit@redhat.com
Subject: Re: unlimit retries for remote plugin restart
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 10:32:17 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 2:13:39 AM EDT Levin Stanislav wrote:
> Hello All!
>

> I have a question.

So do I. :-)

Which version of the audit package are you using? There were some logging
robustness updates in the 2.8 series.

> Let's assume we have client's audit service and audit gatherer placed on
> a remote host.
>
> Using au-remote plugin client sends logs to remote.
>

> Let's stop (do not start then) remote's audit service and restart
> client's one.

So, if I understand this scenario, you are starting the client side while the
server is down?

> After that overcome max_restarts limit (e.g. default 10) from
> /etc/audisp/audispd.conf by audit's events.
>
> Then start remote's audit service and trigger any audit event on client.
> But audisp-remote process is dead ("plugin /sbin/audisp-remote has
> exceeded max_restarts").
>
> How can i solve this issue without client's audit service
> restart?

Typically, you need to send SIGUSR2 to audisp-remote.

> Is it possible by any settings/configs?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I'll look into it, but please if you could let me know the answer to the
above 2 questions.

-Steve