* unlimit retries for remote plugin restart
@ 2018-04-12  6:13 Levin Stanislav
From: Levin Stanislav @ 2018-04-12  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 739 bytes --]

Hello All!

I have a question.

Let's assume we have client's audit service and audit gatherer placed on
a remote host.

Using au-remote plugin client sends logs to remote.

Let's stop (do not start then) remote's audit service and restart
client's one.

After that overcome max_restarts limit (e.g. default 10) from
/etc/audisp/audispd.conf by audit's events.

Then start remote's audit service and trigger any audit event on client.
But audisp-remote process is dead ("plugin /sbin/audisp-remote has
exceeded max_restarts").

How can i solve this issue without client's audit service
restart? Is it possible by any settings/configs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

* Re: unlimit retries for remote plugin restart
@ 2018-04-12 14:32 ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2018-04-12 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 2:13:39 AM EDT Levin Stanislav wrote:
> Hello All!
>

> I have a question.

So do I. :-)

Which version of the audit package are you using? There were some logging
robustness updates in the 2.8 series.

> Let's assume we have client's audit service and audit gatherer placed on
> a remote host.
>
> Using au-remote plugin client sends logs to remote.
>

> Let's stop (do not start then) remote's audit service and restart
> client's one.

So, if I understand this scenario, you are starting the client side while the
server is down?

> After that overcome max_restarts limit (e.g. default 10) from
> /etc/audisp/audispd.conf by audit's events.
>
> Then start remote's audit service and trigger any audit event on client.
> But audisp-remote process is dead ("plugin /sbin/audisp-remote has
> exceeded max_restarts").
>
> How can i solve this issue without client's audit service
> restart?

Typically, you need to send SIGUSR2 to audisp-remote.

> Is it possible by any settings/configs?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I'll look into it, but please if you could let me know the answer to the
above 2 questions.

-Steve

* Re: unlimit retries for remote plugin restart
@ 2018-06-20 17:55 ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2018-06-20 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 2:13:39 AM EDT Levin Stanislav wrote:
> Let's assume we have client's audit service and audit gatherer placed on
> a remote host.
>
> Using au-remote plugin client sends logs to remote.
>
> Let's stop (do not start then) remote's audit service and restart
> client's one.
>
> After that overcome max_restarts limit (e.g. default 10) from
> /etc/audisp/audispd.conf by audit's events.
>
> Then start remote's audit service and trigger any audit event on client.
> But audisp-remote process is dead ("plugin /sbin/audisp-remote has
> exceeded max_restarts").
>
> How can i solve this issue without client's audit service
> restart? Is it possible by any settings/configs?

Please give audit-2.8.4 a shot. It should solve this problem.

-Steve

* Re: unlimit retries for remote plugin restart
@ 2018-06-26 13:19   ` Levin Stanislav
From: Levin Stanislav @ 2018-06-26 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Grubb, linux-audit