* [Bluez-users] blue-fw not working for USB Belkin F8T001 in Gentoo Linux
@ 2004-01-07 12:31 Alex Holland
From: Alex Holland @ 2004-01-07 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

I'm a Gentoo user, and my kernel and bluetooth modules are all compiled
using the latest Gentoo Sources, 2.4.22-r2.

When I was using 2.4.20-r9, hci_usb wouldn't see my USB bluetooth dongle
until after bluefw had run. Since I upgraded to 2.4.22-r2, my dongle is
detected as part of the standard USB bus scan during boot, although it
brings up a lot of insmod errors. Further on during the boot, bluefw
always fails, saying that my device has timed out. This leaves my
bluetooth device invisible to hciconfig.

Everything works fine if I boot into Windows XP and let the Belkin
software load the firmware, then reboot into Linux without powering
down. I still get the insmod errors, but bluefw brings up no error
messages and all bluetooth things work wonderfully.

I realise this may look more like a Gentoo query than a bluez query, but
there don't seem to be many bluetooth users on the Gentoo forums, so I
thought this might be the best place to ask.

For reference, these are the errors I get during bootup:

  * Mounting proc at /proc...   [ ok ]
hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-2, assigned address 3
usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0xa5c/0x200a) is not claimed by any
active driver.
hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1.1, assigned address 4
input: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [045e:001d] on usb1:4.0
input: USB HID v1.10 Device [045e:001d] on usb1:4.1
BlueZ Core ver 2.4 Copyright (C) 2000,2001 Qualcomm Inc
Written 2000,2001 by Maxim Krasnyansky <maxk@qualcomm.com>
insmod: insmod: a module named bluez already exists
insmod: insmod: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.22-gentoo-r2/kernel/net/bluetooth/bluez.o failed
insmod: insmod: insmod hci_usb failed
insmod: insmod: a module named bluez already exists
insmod: insmod: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.22-gentoo-r2/kernel/net/bluetooth/bluez.o failed
insmod: insmod: insmod hci_usb failed
BlueZ HCI USB driver ver 2.4 Copyright (C) 2000,2001 Qualcomm Inc
Written 2000,2001 by Maxim Krasnyansky <maxk@qualcomm.com>
usb.c: registered new driver hci_usb

Thanks.

Alex Holland

* Re: [Bluez-users] blue-fw not working for USB Belkin F8T001 in Gentoo Linux
@ 2004-01-07 12:50 ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2004-01-07 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alex,

> I'm a Gentoo user, and my kernel and bluetooth modules are all compiled
> using the latest Gentoo Sources, 2.4.22-r2.
>
> When I was using 2.4.20-r9, hci_usb wouldn't see my USB bluetooth dongle
> until after bluefw had run. Since I upgraded to 2.4.22-r2, my dongle is
> detected as part of the standard USB bus scan during boot, although it
> brings up a lot of insmod errors. Further on during the boot, bluefw
> always fails, saying that my device has timed out. This leaves my
> bluetooth device invisible to hciconfig.
>
> Everything works fine if I boot into Windows XP and let the Belkin
> software load the firmware, then reboot into Linux without powering
> down. I still get the insmod errors, but bluefw brings up no error
> messages and all bluetooth things work wonderfully.
>
> I realise this may look more like a Gentoo query than a bluez query, but
> there don't seem to be many bluetooth users on the Gentoo forums, so I
> thought this might be the best place to ask.

I never got the bluefw working fine with my Broadcom based dongles. So I
wrote a kernel driver for loading the firmware. My -mh2 patch for 2.6.0
contains this bcm203x driver, but I haven't one for the 2.4 series.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-users] blue-fw not working for USB Belkin F8T001 in Gentoo Linux
@ 2004-01-07 13:03   ` Alex Holland
From: Alex Holland @ 2004-01-07 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> I never got the bluefw working fine with my Broadcom based dongles. So I
> wrote a kernel driver for loading the firmware. My -mh2 patch for 2.6.0
> contains this bcm203x driver, but I haven't one for the 2.4 series.

Interesting - bluefw appeared to work when I was using the 2.4.20-r9
kernel sources. It would report success, but my bluetooth connection was
very dodgy (see previous mails about instability). However, I don't know
if this was due to the usb extension cable I was using, or the firmware
being loaded incorrectly (possibly the latter, as it worked fine in
Windows even with the cable).

Any plans to backport the -mh2 patch to 2.4? The Gentoo devs would
probably be interested, they're patch crazy :)

In the meantime, I'll just do the XP/Linux reboot trick, I guess.

Alex

* Re: [Bluez-users] blue-fw not working for USB Belkin F8T001 in Gentoo Linux
@ 2004-01-07 14:23   ` Marc Hansen
From: Marc Hansen @ 2004-01-07 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

> I never got the bluefw working fine with my Broadcom based dongles. So I
> wrote a kernel driver for loading the firmware. My -mh2 patch for 2.6.0
> contains this bcm203x driver, but I haven't one for the 2.4 series.
Where are the patches for 2.6.0?
http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/
seems to be wrong!?

Marc

* Re: [Bluez-users] blue-fw not working for USB Belkin F8T001 in Gentoo Linux
@ 2004-01-07 14:49     ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2004-01-07 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Marce,

> Where are the patches for 2.6.0?
> http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/
> seems to be wrong!?

no it is not wrong. The 2.6.0 patches are not listed.

	http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/patch-2.6.0-mh2.gz

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-users] blue-fw not working for USB Belkin F8T001 in Gentoo Linux
@ 2004-01-07 16:12     ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2004-01-07 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alex,

> Any plans to backport the -mh2 patch to 2.4? The Gentoo devs would
> probably be interested, they're patch crazy :)

I have a backport of the driver, but it crashes on 2.4 after unlinking
the URB and I have no time for further investigations.

Regards

Marcel