* cpu_setup_6xx.S:19:22: ppc_defs.h: No such file or directory
@ 2004-01-13 20:29 Matthew S. McClintock
From: Matthew S. McClintock @ 2004-01-13 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev

I have a problem with the kernel build. It seems completely random in
occurrence, however I'm sure something has to be causing it.The error is
as follows:

cpu_setup_6xx.S:19:22: ppc_defs.h: No such file or directory

And the kernel build can not complete. Sometimes running a make dep and
continuing again with a make uImage will correct the problem but not
always. Does anyone have any idea why sometimes this file does not get
built correctly and other times it does?

--
Matthew S. McClintock <mattsm@arlut.utexas.edu>

* Re: cpu_setup_6xx.S:19:22: ppc_defs.h: No such file or directory
@ 2004-01-14  0:16 ` Christian
From: Christian @ 2004-01-14  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew S. McClintock, linuxppc-dev

Matthew S. McClintock wrote:
| I have a problem with the kernel build. It seems completely random in
| occurrence, however I'm sure something has to be causing it.The error is
| as follows:
|
| cpu_setup_6xx.S:19:22: ppc_defs.h: No such file or directory
|
| And the kernel build can not complete. Sometimes running a make dep and
| continuing again with a make uImage will correct the problem but not
| always. Does anyone have any idea why sometimes this file does not get
| built correctly and other times it does?

filesystem / memory corruption, even slightly overclocking the cpu, too
old / too new compiler or binutils.
when the error occurs, can you actually stat ppc_defs.h ?

Christian.
- --
BOFH excuse #200:

The monitor needs another box of pixels.

* Re: cpu_setup_6xx.S:19:22: ppc_defs.h: No such file or directory
@ 2004-01-14 17:36   ` Matthew S. McClintock
From: Matthew S. McClintock @ 2004-01-14 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

The file does not even get created. I can copy it over from another
linux tree that worked before and put it in the current linux tree and
everything works. It always craps out on that one file, would that still
indicate some sort of hardware problem?

Matthew

@ 2004-01-15  1:54     ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2004-01-15  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew S. McClintock; +Cc: Christian, linuxppc-dev list

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 04:36, Matthew S. McClintock wrote:
> The file does not even get created. I can copy it over from another
> linux tree that worked before and put it in the current linux tree and
> everything works. It always craps out on that one file, would that still
> indicate some sort of hardware problem?

That is WRONG

That file has to be created as part of the kernel build process, the
offsets in there are different depending on various things like
kernel version, compiler version, kernel config options, just copying
it from another kernel may result into interesting random kernel
behaviour...

If it's not created for you, then something is wrong in your build
process, or you source tree contains crap or whatever. It definitely
works fine with the upstream sources.

Ben.

* Re: cpu_setup_6xx.S:19:22: ppc_defs.h: No such file or directory
@ 2004-01-15 17:16       ` Matthew S. McClintock
From: Matthew S. McClintock @ 2004-01-15 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt; +Cc: Christian, linuxppc-dev list

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 19:54, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> That is WRONG
>
> That file has to be created as part of the kernel build process, the
> offsets in there are different depending on various things like
> kernel version, compiler version, kernel config options, just copying
> it from another kernel may result into interesting random kernel
> behaviour...
>
> If it's not created for you, then something is wrong in your build
> process, or you source tree contains crap or whatever. It definitely
> works fine with the upstream sources.

Well it is from the same kernel tree and same config, I just copy it
because sometimes the current tree does not make that file correctly. I
don't know what else to do, does anyone have any idea why my tree is not
building this file every time correctly in the first place?

Thanks,
Matthew

--

@ 2004-01-15 19:25         ` Hollis Blanchard
From: Hollis Blanchard @ 2004-01-15 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew S. McClintock, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
  Cc: Christian, linuxppc-dev list

On Thursday 15 January 2004 17:16, Matthew S. McClintock wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 19:54, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >
> > If it's not created for you, then something is wrong in your build
> > process, or you source tree contains crap or whatever. It definitely
> > works fine with the upstream sources.
>
> Well it is from the same kernel tree and same config, I just copy it
> because sometimes the current tree does not make that file correctly. I
> don't know what else to do, does anyone have any idea why my tree is not
> building this file every time correctly in the first place?

Just a guess, but I don't think 2.4 trees work perfectly with parallel builds
(make -jN). It could be that one build needs ppc_defs.h before the other has
created it yet.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center

* Re: cpu_setup_6xx.S:19:22: ppc_defs.h: No such file or directory
@ 2004-01-15 19:54           ` linas
From: linas @ 2004-01-15 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hollis Blanchard
  Cc: Matthew S. McClintock, Benjamin Herrenschmidt, Christian,
	linuxppc-dev list

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 07:25:23PM +0000, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

> Just a guess, but I don't think 2.4 trees work perfectly with parallel builds
> (make -jN). It could be that one build needs ppc_defs.h before the other has
> created it yet.

I'll chime in and say that I've seen something like this, if not this
problem exactly.  I was a big user of make -j and I remember that
when the problem showed up, it was real hard to make go away.
Oh, and always at the most inopportune moment ...

--linas

* Re: cpu_setup_6xx.S:19:22: ppc_defs.h: No such file or directory
@ 2004-01-15 20:20           ` Matthew S. McClintock
From: Matthew S. McClintock @ 2004-01-15 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hollis Blanchard; +Cc: Benjamin Herrenschmidt, Christian, linuxppc-dev list

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 13:25, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> Just a guess, but I don't think 2.4 trees work perfectly with parallel builds
> (make -jN). It could be that one build needs ppc_defs.h before the other has
> created it yet.

This appears to be the problem. I am compiling this kernel on a dual cpu
machine and I suppose make takes the liberty of running in -j2 mode.
Running make with the -j1 option fixes the problem.

Thanks everyone for the help

--
Matthew S. McClintock <mattsm@arlut.utexas.edu>