* [sata] ALI M5281
@ 2004-09-21  9:51 Shine on this Life That's Burnin' Out
From: Shine on this Life That's Burnin' Out @ 2004-09-21  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

(blatant disregard of FAQ which suggests newsgroups, don't LART me please)

Has anyone been able to wrestle specs out of ALI for this device? It's
starting to become somewhat popular from a number of mobo manufacturers
(like Soyo). =/ It seems to be the 4th most prevalent PCI-bus based
controller after Silicon Image, Highpoint, and Promise. =/

Even some sort of semi-functional code would be nice. (Reminds me of
my attempts to forward-port old korean package for Aralion UltimaRAID
systems. Works in later 2.4's but dies on 2.6 =( )

Was ALI good about specs for their old M15x3 series?

-----
James Sellman -- ISU CoE-CS/ISLUG Linux/VLSI Admin  |"Lum, did you just see
----------------------------------------------------| a hentai rabbit flying
hopeless@islug.org         |   // A4000/604e/60 128M| through the air?"
                           | \X/  A500/20 3M        |   - Miyake Shinobu

* Re: [sata] ALI M5281
@ 2004-09-21 10:03 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2004-09-21 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Maw, 2004-09-21 at 10:51, Shine on this Life That's Burnin' Out
wrote:
> Even some sort of semi-functional code would be nice. (Reminds me of
> my attempts to forward-port old korean package for Aralion UltimaRAID
> systems. Works in later 2.4's but dies on 2.6 =( )

A lot of badly written code (or just old code that didnt know
about the PCI mapping API) does that

> Was ALI good about specs for their old M15x3 series?

Reasonably so, at least when approached by a Linux vendor. I have some
ALi data sheets under NDA for example. I don't know how they view random
individual requests.

Alan

* Re: [sata] ALI M5281
@ 2004-09-21 16:42 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2004-09-21 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shine on this Life That's Burnin' Out; +Cc: linux-kernel

Shine on this Life That's Burnin' Out wrote:
> (blatant disregard of FAQ which suggests newsgroups, don't LART me please)
>
> Has anyone been able to wrestle specs out of ALI for this device? It's
> starting to become somewhat popular from a number of mobo manufacturers
> (like Soyo). =/ It seems to be the 4th most prevalent PCI-bus based
> controller after Silicon Image, Highpoint, and Promise. =/
>
> Even some sort of semi-functional code would be nice. (Reminds me of
> my attempts to forward-port old korean package for Aralion UltimaRAID
> systems. Works in later 2.4's but dies on 2.6 =( )
>
> Was ALI good about specs for their old M15x3 series?

lemme dig through my mail, I think ALi emailed me.

	Jeff