* [Xenomai] Supported PCI Express CANOpen hardware?
@ 2015-06-22 21:55 Wayne Ross
From: Wayne Ross @ 2015-06-22 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

18 Months ago we ported our propietary software/hardware to Linux, leveraging Xenomai's CAN and RS232 driver support with a PCI CAN card using the xeno_can_mem device driver delivering the RT behaviors we need.

We are now looking at using a different hardware vendor that utilizes a "Mini PCI Express" form factor ("the successor of the Mini PCI").

I am trying to validate if the vendor's (Hilscher) interface is supported (a "netX Dual-Port Memory Interface").  I did see a couple 2-year-old emails in the Xenomai archive with PCI_VENDOR_ID_Hilscher, but I see none of that source code made it to 2.6.4.  ./ksrc/drivers/can/README basically indicates support for only the SJA1000 CAN controller.

So I have two questions:
- Is is possible Hilscher's netX interface might be supported for CANOpen?
- Does anyone know if there are *any* supported CANOpen cards in the PCIe Mini family?

Thanks,
    Wayne

* Re: [Xenomai] Supported PCI Express CANOpen hardware?
@ 2015-06-23  5:21 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2015-06-23  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne Ross, xenomai

On 2015-06-22 23:55, Wayne Ross wrote:
> 18 Months ago we ported our propietary software/hardware to Linux, leveraging Xenomai's CAN and RS232 driver support with a PCI CAN card using the xeno_can_mem device driver delivering the RT behaviors we need.
>
> We are now looking at using a different hardware vendor that utilizes a "Mini PCI Express" form factor ("the successor of the Mini PCI").
>
> I am trying to validate if the vendor's (Hilscher) interface is supported (a "netX Dual-Port Memory Interface").  I did see a couple 2-year-old emails in the Xenomai archive with PCI_VENDOR_ID_Hilscher, but I see none of that source code made it to 2.6.4.  ./ksrc/drivers/can/README basically indicates support for only the SJA1000 CAN controller.
>

> So I have two questions:
> - Is is possible Hilscher's netX interface might be supported for CANOpen?
> - Does anyone know if there are *any* supported CANOpen cards in the PCIe Mini family?

Note that CANopen is "just" a software layer on top of regular CAN
hardware - just in case you restricted your hardware search needlessly.
There are mini PCIe cards on the market with SJA1000 controller, e.g. by
PHYTEC - adopting the existing driver is then not very tricky. I assume
you already have the required CANopen bits in your software stack.

Jan