* If you want reiser4 to go into the kernel, you probably need to ask for it
@ 2004-10-23 16:08 Hans Reiser
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Reiser @ 2004-10-23 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ReiserFS List

Just because we are the fastest filesystem does not mean that it will be
easy for us to get in.  Actually, it makes it harder to get in, for
reasons I'd prefer not to state.  This week would be a good time to ask
for reiser4 to be merged in as an experimental fs if you want it.

* Re: If you want reiser4 to go into the kernel, you probably need to ask for it
@ 2004-10-23 16:12 ` brianmas
From: brianmas @ 2004-10-23 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ReiserFS List

Quoting Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com>:

> Just because we are the fastest filesystem does not mean that it will be
> easy for us to get in.  Actually, it makes it harder to get in, for
> reasons I'd prefer not to state.  This week would be a good time to ask
> for reiser4 to be merged in as an experimental fs if you want it.

Hello,
Sorry if this is common knowledge but how do you go about making a request for a
feature in the kernel?

brian

* Re: If you want reiser4 to go into the kernel, you probably need to ask for it
@ 2004-10-23 16:27   ` Hans Reiser
From: Hans Reiser @ 2004-10-23 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brianmas; +Cc: ReiserFS List

brianmas@highstream.net wrote:

>Hello,
>Sorry if this is common knowledge but how do you go about making a request for a
>feature in the kernel?
>
>brian

Look for a thread on the linux-kernel mailing list titled:

Re: 2.6.9-mm1

and join that thread which discusses reiser4 with comments suggesting
reiser4 would be nice to have.

Hans

* Re: If you want reiser4 to go into the kernel, you probably needto ask for it
@ 2004-10-24 14:43 ` Clifford Beshers
From: Clifford Beshers @ 2004-10-24 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Reiser; +Cc: ReiserFS List

I responded.  Meant to do it on Friday but my brother is in town and I
got distracted.

--

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the
addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone

* My Reiser4 benchmark
@ 2004-10-25 13:04 ` Malcolm Agnew
From: Malcolm Agnew @ 2004-10-25 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

I thought my personal benchmark might interest some of you. Attached is a plot
of running a simulation of a commercial wholesale application.

Each iteration in the plot is a complex transaction (i.e. place an order for a
(possibly new) customer). The Y-axis says "transactions / second" but should
really read "single data base action / second", where access is "read",
"write" or "update" a record. The X-axis is one point per1000 iterations.

At the beginning of the simulation there are about 1 MB of data (in 16 files).
At the end of the 200000 iterations there are about 750 MB of data.

Reiser4 is considerably faster than Reiser3. Puzzling is that the advantage
decreases somewhat as the data grows.

Most puzzling is the yellow line "ReiserXXX" which is considerably better than
the line labled "ReiserFS". "ReiserXXX" is, wait for it, "Reiser3" on a 2.6.5
kernel. Is it well known that 2.6.9 is slower than 2.6.5?

Any comments welcome.

Malcolm Agnew

p.s. The data base engine is my own.

* Re: My Reiser4 benchmark
@ 2004-10-25 13:31   ` Vladimir Saveliev
From: Vladimir Saveliev @ 2004-10-25 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: malcolm.agnew; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Hello

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 17:04, Malcolm Agnew wrote:
> I thought my personal benchmark might interest some of you. Attached is a plot
> of running a simulation of a commercial wholesale application.

Hmm, I see nothing attached

> Each iteration in the plot is a complex transaction (i.e. place an order for a
> (possibly new) customer). The Y-axis says "transactions / second" but should
> really read "single data base action / second", where access is "read",
> "write" or "update" a record. The X-axis is one point per1000 iterations.
>
> At the beginning of the simulation there are about 1 MB of data (in 16 files).
> At the end of the 200000 iterations there are about 750 MB of data.

How much RAM is there?

> Reiser4 is considerably faster than Reiser3. Puzzling is that the advantage
> decreases somewhat as the data grows.
>
> Most puzzling is the yellow line "ReiserXXX" which is considerably better than
> the line labled "ReiserFS". "ReiserXXX" is, wait for it, "Reiser3" on a 2.6.5
> kernel. Is it well known that 2.6.9 is slower than 2.6.5?

Would you please test for reiserfs under the same kernel?