* [SPDK] Bluestore device’s device selector for Samsung NVMe
@ 2019-01-14 14:12 Yanko Davila
From: Yanko Davila @ 2019-01-14 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hello

My name is Yanko Davila, I´m new to ceph so please pardon my ignorance.
I have a question about Bluestore and SPDK.

I´m currently running ceph version:

ceph version 12.2.10 (177915764b752804194937482a39e95e0ca3de94) luminous
(stable)

on Debian:

Linux <hostname> 4.9.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.110-3+deb9u4
(2018-08-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Distributor ID:    Debian
Release:    9.5
Codename:    stretch

I´m trying to add an NVMe osd using bluestore but I´m struggling to find
the device selector for that NVMe. So far I´ve been  able to compile
spdk and succesfully run the setup.sh script. I can also succesfully run
the identify example which leads me to think that spdk is working as
expected.

When I read the online manual (
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/bluestore-config-ref/#spdk-usage
) it gives an example for an Intel PCIe SSD:

<quote>

For example, users can find the device selector of an Intel PCIe SSD with:

$ lspci -mm -n -D -d 8086:0953

<quote />

When I try the same command adjusting for my Samsung SSD it returns
nothing or the return is just blank here is what I tried:

$ lspci -mm -n -D -d 144d:a801

Assuming that I gave you enough information. Can anyone spot what I´m
doing wrong? Does spdk only works on Intel SSDs ? Any comment is highly
appreciated. Thank You for your time.

Yanko.

* Re: [SPDK] Bluestore device’s device selector for Samsung NVMe
@ 2019-01-15  5:03 Yang, Ziye
From: Yang, Ziye @ 2019-01-15  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hi  Yanko,

You need to bind the NVMe driver in UIO or VFIO first. If you want to bind to it to uio, make sure that you disable iommu in grub during the boot, and you need to have uio_pci_generic in loaded kernel module.  Currently, setup.sh in SPDK first tries to bind VFIO first then UIO, you can just slightly modify your script and bind to uio first.  In my platform, I used uio to bind NVMe SSD device.

To make sure that you can enable  Ceph + SPDK,  you can do the following work first after you bind your NVMe SSD device to uio driver.

0: Make sure that the hugepages are allocated via scripts/setup.sh
1: use examples/nvme/identify/identify in SPDK folder to find the  sn of the NVMe device. This is used to find the NVMe SSDs.
2  Use vstart.sh (The single machine model) to test enable Ceph + SPDK, e.g.,  you can use the following commands:

MON=3 OSD=1 MDS=1 MGR=1 RGW=1 ../src/vstart.sh -n -x -l -b

You need to modify vstart.sh to generate the ceph.conf

The following contents should be put in the configuration of [osd] part
bluestore_block_db_path = ""
bluestore_block_db_size = 0
bluestore_block_db_create = false
bluestore_block_wal_path = ""
bluestore_block_wal_size = 0
bluestore_block_wal_create = false
bluestore_spdk_mem = 2048    #allocate 2048 pages, you can change it.
bluestore_block_path = spdk:55cd2e404be053be   # This should be your SN.

3  For the cluster configuration, You need to follow the configuration described in step 2. Currently only bluestore can use SPDK user space NVMe driver.

Best Regards
Ziye Yang

From: Tushar Gohad @ 2019-01-15  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk