From: Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>
To: Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com>
Cc: Jailhouse <jailhouse-dev@googlegroups.com>,
	"liang yan" <lyan@suse.com>,
	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@redhat.com>,
	qemu-devel <qemu-devel@nongnu.org>,
	"virtio-comment@lists.oasis-open.org"
	<virtio-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>,
	"Alex Bennée" <alex.bennee@linaro.org>
Subject: Re: [virtio-comment] [RFC] ivshmem v2: Shared memory device specification
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 09:02:09 +0200	[thread overview]

On 23.07.20 08:54, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 06:15:58PM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> On 15.07.20 15:27, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>>> On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 09:58:28AM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>
> Thanks for the responses. It would be great to update the spec with
> these clarifications.

>>> What does relocatable mean in this context?
>>
>> That the guest can decide (via BAR) where the resource should show up in the
>> physical guest address space. We do not want to support this in setups like
>> for static partitioning hypervisors, and then we use that side-channel
>> read-only configuration.
>
> I see. I'm not sure what is vendor-specific about non-relocatable shared
> memory. I guess it could be added to the spec too?

That "vendor-specific" comes from the PCI spec which - to my
understanding - provides us no other means to introduce registers to the
config space that are outside of the PCI spec. I could introduce a name
for the ivshmem vendor cap and use that name here - would that be better?

> In any case, since "relocatable" hasn't been fully defined, I suggest
> making the statement more general:
>
>    If BAR 2 is not present the hypervisor has to implement the Base
>    Address Register in the vendor-specific capability. This can be used
>    for vendor-specific shared memory functionality.

Will integrate this.

Thanks,
Jan

From: Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>
To: Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com>
Cc: "virtio-comment@lists.oasis-open.org"
	<virtio-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>,
	Jailhouse <jailhouse-dev@googlegroups.com>,
	"liang yan" <lyan@suse.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 09:02:09 +0200	[thread overview]

On 23.07.20 08:54, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 06:15:58PM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> On 15.07.20 15:27, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>>> On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 09:58:28AM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>
> Thanks for the responses. It would be great to update the spec with
> these clarifications.

>>> What does relocatable mean in this context?
>>
>> That the guest can decide (via BAR) where the resource should show up in the
>> physical guest address space. We do not want to support this in setups like
>> for static partitioning hypervisors, and then we use that side-channel
>> read-only configuration.
>
> I see. I'm not sure what is vendor-specific about non-relocatable shared
> memory. I guess it could be added to the spec too?

That "vendor-specific" comes from the PCI spec which - to my
understanding - provides us no other means to introduce registers to the
config space that are outside of the PCI spec. I could introduce a name
for the ivshmem vendor cap and use that name here - would that be better?

> In any case, since "relocatable" hasn't been fully defined, I suggest
> making the statement more general:
>
>    If BAR 2 is not present the hypervisor has to implement the Base
>    Address Register in the vendor-specific capability. This can be used
>    for vendor-specific shared memory functionality.

Will integrate this.

Thanks,
Jan

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
before posting.

Subscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
Feedback License: https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf
Committee: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/virtio/