From: "J. Nerius" <jnerius@gmail.com>
To: Michael Gale <michael.gale@utilitran.com>
Cc: netfilter@lists.netfilter.org
Subject: Re: bandwidth monitoring
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:54:23 -0600	[thread overview]

Hello,

My concern was for the amount of resources NTOP would end up using with
the currently volume of traffic we have going through any one link.

Basically, there will be at least 3000 hosts totaling around 25 megabits
of traffic at any given time. In my experience with ntop for short-term
monitoring, I found that in these circumstances, the process size and
cpu utilization were quite high.

I've been using bandwidthd to collect data and then just rsyncing that
data to a different server that actually graphs the data. I'd like to
use ntop for it's detailed tracking capabilities, but given the resource
utilization issues I've seen in the past, am not sure how feasible this
would be.

How many hosts and how much traffic is currently going through your
setup? It's very possible that I may just need to tweak settings
somewhere to improve performance.

J.N.