* [Bluez-users] MX900 sometimes catalepsic
@ 2005-01-25 19:38 Charles Bueche
From: Charles Bueche @ 2005-01-25 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

Hi,

[once again with the correct "From:", sorry if it appear twice]

I'm running 2.6.10-gentoo-r4 with patch-2.6.10-mh1.gz. My hardware is a
Logitech MX900 mouse and a Dell Inspiron 8600 with a CSR chip :

hci0:   Type: USB
        BD Address: 00:10:C6:22:54:AF ACL MTU: 192:8  SCO MTU: 64:8
        UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
        RX bytes:113629 acl:7992 sco:0 events:88 errors:0
        TX bytes:1043 acl:24 sco:0 commands:42 errors:0
        Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
        Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
        Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
        Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
        Name: 'laptopcb (0)'
        Class: 0x100100
        Service Classes: Object Transfer
        Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
        HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x235 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x235
        Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

I'm not using the mouse bluetooth dock for any connection (only battery

Often, after unpacking my laptop and MX900 mouse from its bag, the mouse
appear to "hang". The laptop doesn't see it, and I have to open the
mouse battery location and quickly unplug one battery to reset the
mouse. After this treatment, the mouse announce itself and the laptop
sees it and create the devices with udev.

The problem happen about 1/4 of the time when unpacking the laptop, but
in a systematic way after a reboot (eg after upgrading my kernel). I
never boot my laptop under Windows, and I never use the mouse with other
machines. The "connect" button has no effect.

The problem has be present since a long time and several kernels and
bluez patches, maybe since always.

It would only be annoying, but the battery door of my mouse is starting
to present a bad shape after openning it with just about all the tools
that fits it, including cisors.

Any hint welcome.

TIA,
Charles

--
Charles Bueche <charles@bueche.ch>
sand, snow, wave, wind and net -surfer

* Re: [Bluez-users] MX900 sometimes catalepsic
@ 2005-01-26 17:42 ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2005-01-26 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Charles,

> I'm running 2.6.10-gentoo-r4 with patch-2.6.10-mh1.gz. My hardware is a
> Logitech MX900 mouse and a Dell Inspiron 8600 with a CSR chip :
>
> hci0:   Type: USB
>         BD Address: 00:10:C6:22:54:AF ACL MTU: 192:8  SCO MTU: 64:8
>         UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
>         RX bytes:113629 acl:7992 sco:0 events:88 errors:0
>         TX bytes:1043 acl:24 sco:0 commands:42 errors:0
>         Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
>         Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
>         Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
>         Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
>         Name: 'laptopcb (0)'
>         Class: 0x100100
>         Service Classes: Object Transfer
>         Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
>         HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x235 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x235
>         Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
>
> I'm not using the mouse bluetooth dock for any connection (only battery
>
> Often, after unpacking my laptop and MX900 mouse from its bag, the mouse
> appear to "hang". The laptop doesn't see it, and I have to open the
> mouse battery location and quickly unplug one battery to reset the
> mouse. After this treatment, the mouse announce itself and the laptop
> sees it and create the devices with udev.
>
> The problem happen about 1/4 of the time when unpacking the laptop, but
> in a systematic way after a reboot (eg after upgrading my kernel). I
> never boot my laptop under Windows, and I never use the mouse with other
> machines. The "connect" button has no effect.
>
> The problem has be present since a long time and several kernels and
> bluez patches, maybe since always.
>
> It would only be annoying, but the battery door of my mouse is starting
> to present a bad shape after openning it with just about all the tools
> that fits it, including cisors.

I have no idea what the problem is, but I assume that it is because of
the reconnect feature of the mouse. I will always try to reconnect when
you move your bag and after some failed retries it may deadlock itself.

On the other hand there is maybe a small race when you shutdown the
machine and disconnect every device. May a "hciconfig hci0 noscan"
before calling "hidd -K" will help.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-users] MX900 sometimes catalepsic
@ 2005-02-07 10:21   ` Charles Bueche
From: Charles Bueche @ 2005-02-07 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users; +Cc: puggy, bryan, puggy

Hi all,

sorry for the long time before answering, I wanted to be sure the
problem is really fixed.

Apart from the good remarks about the MX900 design error (lack of a
power-switch), the best suggestion came from Marcel :

Doing this :

	/usr/sbin/hciconfig hci0 noscan
	/usr/bin/hidd --killall

at shutdown time avoids the problem, not a single mouse deadlock anymore
since one week.

Thanks for you suggestions. I shall update my MX900 web page rsn.

Charles

On mer, 2005-01-26 at 18:42 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> > I'm running 2.6.10-gentoo-r4 with patch-2.6.10-mh1.gz. My hardware is a
> > Logitech MX900 mouse and a Dell Inspiron 8600 with a CSR chip :
> >
> > hci0:   Type: USB
> >         BD Address: 00:10:C6:22:54:AF ACL MTU: 192:8  SCO MTU: 64:8
> >         UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
> >         RX bytes:113629 acl:7992 sco:0 events:88 errors:0
> >         TX bytes:1043 acl:24 sco:0 commands:42 errors:0
> >         Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
> >         Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
> >         Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
> >         Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
> >         Name: 'laptopcb (0)'
> >         Class: 0x100100
> >         Service Classes: Object Transfer
> >         Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
> >         HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x235 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x235
> >         Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
> >
> > I'm not using the mouse bluetooth dock for any connection (only battery
> >
> > Often, after unpacking my laptop and MX900 mouse from its bag, the mouse
> > appear to "hang". The laptop doesn't see it, and I have to open the
> > mouse battery location and quickly unplug one battery to reset the
> > mouse. After this treatment, the mouse announce itself and the laptop
> > sees it and create the devices with udev.
> >
> > The problem happen about 1/4 of the time when unpacking the laptop, but
> > in a systematic way after a reboot (eg after upgrading my kernel). I
> > never boot my laptop under Windows, and I never use the mouse with other
> > machines. The "connect" button has no effect.
> >
> > The problem has be present since a long time and several kernels and
> > bluez patches, maybe since always.
> >
> > It would only be annoying, but the battery door of my mouse is starting
> > to present a bad shape after openning it with just about all the tools
> > that fits it, including cisors.
>
> I have no idea what the problem is, but I assume that it is because of
> the reconnect feature of the mouse. I will always try to reconnect when
> you move your bag and after some failed retries it may deadlock itself.
>
> On the other hand there is maybe a small race when you shutdown the
> machine and disconnect every device. May a "hciconfig hci0 noscan"
> before calling "hidd -K" will help.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Charles Bueche <bueche@netnea.com>
www.netnea.com : your best source for ultra-geeks !

* Re: [Bluez-users] MX900 sometimes catalepsic
@ 2005-02-07 10:36     ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2005-02-07 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Charles,

> sorry for the long time before answering, I wanted to be sure the
> problem is really fixed.
>
> Apart from the good remarks about the MX900 design error (lack of a
> power-switch), the best suggestion came from Marcel :
>
> Doing this :
>
> 	/usr/sbin/hciconfig hci0 noscan
> 	/usr/bin/hidd --killall
>
> at shutdown time avoids the problem, not a single mouse deadlock anymore
> since one week.
>
> Thanks for you suggestions. I shall update my MX900 web page rsn.

if this works, then this should be inside the Bluetooth init scripts or
inside the hidd with a special option like --shutdown or so.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-users] MX900 sometimes catalepsic
@ 2005-01-28 16:30       ` puggy
From: puggy @ 2005-01-28 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

It's a real shame really as the logitech mice like the mx500 and mx900 are
really, really nice. The off switch issue on the mx900 is the only gripe I
have.

Puggy

@ 2005-01-27 18:10     ` Bryan Forbes
From: Bryan Forbes @ 2005-01-27 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)