* Re: firewall protocols
@ 2005-04-07 18:35 ` Vernon A. Fort
From: Vernon A. Fort @ 2005-04-07 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Ted Gervais wrote:

> I have just discovered that people are not able to telnet to my system
> and I have been told that it is not because I don't have the necessary
> ports open but rather the problem is because of protocols??
>
> I have no idea what this means and am wondering if someone could
> explain.  If it is needed I can supply a copy of my firewall  but was
> wondering first if anyone has heard of this.

you should be able to list the open port from the iptables command:
iptables -L -nv
and
telnet localhost to see if telnet if running

from the iptables, you should see port 23 open from the ip address
needing access.  you should also be able to telnet to the localhost.

Vernon

* firewall protocols
@ 2005-04-07 19:27 Ted Gervais
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ted Gervais @ 2005-04-07 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

I have just discovered that people are not able to telnet to my system and
I have been told that it is not because I don't have the necessary ports
open but rather the problem is because of protocols??

I have no idea what this means and am wondering if someone could
explain.  If it is needed I can supply a copy of my firewall  but was
wondering first if anyone has heard of this.

---
Ted Gervais,
Coldbrook, Nova Scotia, Canada

* Re: firewall protocols
@ 2005-04-07 20:14   ` R. DuFresne
From: R. DuFresne @ 2005-04-07 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vernon A. Fort; +Cc: netfilter

* Re: firewall protocols
@ 2005-04-07 22:13     ` Alexander Samad
From: Alexander Samad @ 2005-04-07 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 04:14:08PM -0400, R. DuFresne wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Vernon A. Fort wrote:
>
> >Ted Gervais wrote:
> >
> >>I have just discovered that people are not able to telnet to my system
> >>and I have been told that it is not because I don't have the necessary
> >>ports open but rather the problem is because of protocols??
> >>
> >>I have no idea what this means and am wondering if someone could explain.
> >>If it is needed I can supply a copy of my firewall  but was wondering
> >>first if anyone has heard of this.
> >
> >you should be able to list the open port from the iptables command:
> >iptables -L -nv
> >and
> >telnet localhost to see if telnet if running
> >
> >from the iptables, you should see port 23 open from the ip address needing
> >access.  you should also be able to telnet to the localhost.
> >

> Which might tell him if the ports open, but not if there's anything really
> listening on the port.  gre telnet /etc/inetd.conf is a better starting
> point, since he claims is rulebase allows telnet already, this so7unds
> like the ports open but there's nothing listening.  If he see this
> response;
>
> #telnet stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd
>
> He needs to vi /etc/inetd.conf to enable telnet <and with tcpd for other
> sec reasons>  the kill -HUP inetd and also then make sure his
> /etc/hosts.allow is setup to allow telnet, especially if he has a
> populated /etc/hosts.deny.

can always try a netstat -pane | grep 23 to see what is using/listening
on port 23

> Thanks,
>
> Ron DuFresne
> - --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>         admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
>                         http://sysinfo.com
> Key fingerprint = 9401 4B13 B918 164C 647A  E838 B2DF AFCC 94B0 6629
>
> ...We waste time looking for the perfect lover
> instead of creating the perfect love.
>
>                 -Tom Robbins <Still Life With Woodpecker>

* Re: firewall protocols
@ 2005-04-07 22:30 ` Cedric Blancher
From: Cedric Blancher @ 2005-04-07 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Gervais; +Cc: netfilter

Le jeudi 07 avril 2005 à 16:27 -0300, Ted Gervais a écrit :
> I have just discovered that people are not able to telnet to my system and
> I have been told that it is not because I don't have the necessary ports
> open but rather the problem is because of protocols??

Do you have IPv6 support ? It's a quite common issue with people using
an IPv6 connection not to configure their firewall for this protocol
using ip6tables. Then, they're firewalled for IPv4, but all naked
towards IPv6.

It can be something else, so I think you should post your ruleset.

--
http://sid.rstack.org/
PGP KeyID: 157E98EE FingerPrint: FA62226DA9E72FA8AECAA240008B480E157E98EE
>> Hi! I'm your friendly neighbourhood signature virus.
>> Copy me to your signature file and help me spread!

* Re: firewall protocols
@ 2005-04-07 23:29       ` R. DuFresne
From: R. DuFresne @ 2005-04-07 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Samad; +Cc: netfilter

* Re: firewall protocols
@ 2005-04-08  0:33         ` Alexander Samad
From: Alexander Samad @ 2005-04-08  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:29:24PM -0400, R. DuFresne wrote:

* Re: firewall protocols
@ 2005-04-11 10:45 ` Nick Drage
From: Nick Drage @ 2005-04-11 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 04:27:51PM -0300, Ted Gervais wrote:
> I have just discovered that people are not able to telnet to my system and
> I have been told that it is not because I don't have the necessary ports
> open but rather the problem is because of protocols??
>
> I have no idea what this means and am wondering if someone could
> explain.  If it is needed I can supply a copy of my firewall  but was
> wondering first if anyone has heard of this.

To be honest I think you need to go back to whoever made this remark and
ask them quite what they mean, while following up the suggestions made
elsewhere in the thread.  "protocol" could cover a pretty wide range of
things here, ipv6, tcp, or telnet itself; so their diagnosis needs to be
rather more precise.

--
If you always do what you've always done,
you'll always get what you've always got.