* Hardknott support level
@ 2021-08-03 13:40 Fernando Luiz Cola
From: Fernando Luiz Cola @ 2021-08-03 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi, I'm starting a new project using Yocto and we plan to use Stable (Hardknott - 3.3).

We gather this information on:
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/ wiki/Releases ( https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Releases )

How can I verify/follow the when the project will schedule from Stable to LTS?  There is an estimate for the EOL ?

Thank you in advance

* Re: [yocto] Hardknott support level
@ 2021-08-03 13:52 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2021-08-03 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hardknott will not become an LTS version, and will be maintained for 7
months, per https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Stable_Release_and_LTS (all
of it worth reading).

The current plan is that Kirkstone will be the next LTS release (there's an
LTS release every two years).

My recommendation is to start the project using current master (rather than
something already released), periodically rebase on a later master, and
branch off the stable/product branches in sync with upstream LTS releases.
Rebasing from one yocto release to another yocto release is a lot more
painful than rolling master + stable LTS model.

Alex

@ 2021-08-11 18:45   ` Randy MacLeod
From: Randy MacLeod @ 2021-08-11 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2021-08-03 9:52 a.m., Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> Hardknott will not become an LTS version, and will be maintained for 7
> months, per https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Stable_Release_and_LTS
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Stable_Release_and_LTS__;!!AjveYdw8EvQ!NIoKnDSRFq3WDiKuTYy4hTbk0Nk0McU69nTZltOJaEobA7lVri6QJvk6HoQXH-Qq0S1rew$>
> (all of it worth reading).
>
> The current plan is that Kirkstone will be the next LTS release (there's
> an LTS release every two years).
>
> My recommendation is to start the project using current master (rather
> than something already released), periodically rebase on a later master,
> and branch off the stable/product branches in sync with upstream LTS
> releases. Rebasing from one yocto release to another yocto release is a
> lot more painful than rolling master + stable LTS model.
>
> Alex

Or contact one of the companies that support Yocto:

https://www.yoctoproject.org/ecosystem/yocto-project-compatible-product-showcase/

That page is out of date and I'm trying to get it refreshed but it at
least shows which companies are available.

../Randy

--
# Randy MacLeod
# Wind River Linux