* Zabbix plugin for ceph-mgr
@ 2017-06-27  6:46 Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2017-06-27  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi,

After looking at the documentation [0] on how to write a plugin for ceph-mgr I've been playing with the idea to create a Zabbix [1] plugin for ceph-mgr.

Before I start writing one I'd like to check if I'm thinking in the right direction.

Zabbix supports Items and Triggers. Triggers are based on Items's values. A Item could be from the type 'Trapper' where a application can simply send key=value pairs, for example:

my.host.name ceph.health HEALTH_OK
my.host.name ceph.osd.up 499
my.host.name ceph.osd.in 498

A simple ceph-mgr module could do:

def serve(self):
  while True:
    send_data_to_zabbix()
    time.sleep(60)

Now, would that be a sane plugin for ceph-mgr or is this something you shouldn't put in the mgr? To me it seems like a good place since it already has all the data present.

Wido

[0]: http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/mgr/plugins/
[1]: http://www.zabbix.com/

* Re: Zabbix plugin for ceph-mgr
@ 2017-06-27  9:57   ` Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2017-06-27  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Spray; +Cc: ceph-devel

> Op 27 juni 2017 om 11:42 schreef John Spray <jspray@redhat.com>:
>

> On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 7:57 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@42on.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After looking at the documentation [0] on how to write a plugin for ceph-mgr I've been playing with the idea to create a Zabbix [1] plugin for ceph-mgr.
> >
> > Before I start writing one I'd like to check if I'm thinking in the right direction.
> >
> > Zabbix supports Items and Triggers. Triggers are based on Items's values. A Item could be from the type 'Trapper' where a application can simply send key=value pairs, for example:
> >
> > my.host.name ceph.health HEALTH_OK
> > my.host.name ceph.osd.up 499
> > my.host.name ceph.osd.in 498
> >
> > A simple ceph-mgr module could do:
> >
> > def serve(self):
> >   while True:
> >     send_data_to_zabbix()
> >     time.sleep(60)
> >
> > Now, would that be a sane plugin for ceph-mgr or is this something you shouldn't put in the mgr? To me it seems like a good place since it already has all the data present.
>
> This is absolutely a sane thing to put in the mgr (and include in the
> main ceph tree) -- go for it!

Ok, good! I'll take a stab at it and also include a Zabbix template (XML) so users can easily adopt it.

Sorry for posting this message a couple of times. Spamfilters were fighting me, greylisting and such, but suddenly the messages came through. My apologies!

Wido

@ 2017-06-27  9:42 ` John Spray
From: John Spray @ 2017-06-27  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wido den Hollander; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 7:57 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@42on.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After looking at the documentation [0] on how to write a plugin for ceph-mgr I've been playing with the idea to create a Zabbix [1] plugin for ceph-mgr.
>
> Before I start writing one I'd like to check if I'm thinking in the right direction.
>
> Zabbix supports Items and Triggers. Triggers are based on Items's values. A Item could be from the type 'Trapper' where a application can simply send key=value pairs, for example:
>
> my.host.name ceph.health HEALTH_OK
> my.host.name ceph.osd.up 499
> my.host.name ceph.osd.in 498
>
> A simple ceph-mgr module could do:
>
> def serve(self):
>   while True:
>     send_data_to_zabbix()
>     time.sleep(60)
>
> Now, would that be a sane plugin for ceph-mgr or is this something you shouldn't put in the mgr? To me it seems like a good place since it already has all the data present.

This is absolutely a sane thing to put in the mgr (and include in the
main ceph tree) -- go for it!

John

> Wido
>
> [0]: http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/mgr/plugins/