From: Colin Ian King <colin.king@canonical.com>
To: kernel-janitors@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: DR Checker and KINT static checkers
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 17:13:46 +0000	[thread overview]

>>> https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/usenixsecurity17/sec17-machiry.pdf
>>> https://github.com/ucsb-seclab/dr_checker/
>>>
>>> The other tool that's quite interesting is KINT which looks for integer
>>> overflows.  It's a bit of a pain because you have to annotate some
>>> kernel functions to make it work.  The PDF and source code are here:
>>>
>>> http://css.csail.mit.edu/kint/
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> dan carpenter
>>>

>> Funnily enough, I tried Dr Checker out earlier this week.  One has to
>> make it do a fake build of the kernel to gather information on how to
>> build the specific kernel config (e.g. how it was compiled and the gcc
>> build flags) and then this gets parsed by DR-Checker.  Unfortunately it
>> seems that it only supported arm architecture builds and it could not
>> handle the gcc output for a modern x86 amd64 gcc (gcc 7.2). I kind of
>> gave up after a couple of hours trying to make it work.  I suspect more
>> patient developers may figure out how to make it work. I may go back and
>> revisit this when I have some free time.
>
> You could ask the authors.  They may be happy to have some feedback.
>
> julia

I've requested assistance from Aravind Machiry and he will help me with
x86 checking once he's finished a paper, so I expect to report back with
my results sometime at the end of the month if all goes well. Keep you
posted.

Colin

From: Colin Ian King <colin.king@canonical.com>
To: Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@lip6.fr>