* Where is /sbin/udev?
@ 2006-07-14 16:50 Con Bradley
From: Con Bradley @ 2006-07-14 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

I'm running OpenSUSE 10.1 and have found that the /sbin/udev binary no
longer exists although udev seems to be working properly on this system.
Where is the udev binary now and if it is no longer shipped, how do you
call udev explicitly,

  Con Bradley.

* Re: Where is /sbin/udev?
@ 2006-07-14 17:14 ` Kay Sievers
From: Kay Sievers @ 2006-07-14 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 17:50 +0100, Con Bradley wrote:
> I'm running OpenSUSE 10.1 and have found that the /sbin/udev binary no
> longer exists although udev seems to be working properly on this system.
> Where is the udev binary now and if it is no longer shipped, how do you
> call udev explicitly,

The udev daemon udevd receives all events from the kernel, there is no
longer a binary to call. You can ask the kernel to emit an event for a
specific device by writing "add" to the "uevent" file of the device
in /sys. That way udev has always the same environment to match against
which wasn't the case with the udev binary.

Kay