* Console output stopped working in Mini-OS
@ 2006-09-11 15:19 Melvin Anderson
From: Melvin Anderson @ 2006-09-11 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: Gregor.Milos

Console output has stopped working in mini-os (architecture i386,
changeset 11440:bfd00b317815), although output to the serial line using
the console_io hypercall still works.

Setting XEN_INTERFACE_VERSION to 0x00030201 in the Mini-OS makefile gets
console output working again, although I don't guarantee it doesn't
break other things.

The update from 0x00030201 to 0x00030202 introduced a change in the
event_channel_op hypercall.  The Mini-OS console driver raises an event
to indicate data has been written into the console ring.  Is it possible
that the Mini-OS console driver isn't using the new event channel
hypercall interface correctly?

Regards,

Melvin Anderson.

* Re: Console output stopped working in Mini-OS
@ 2006-09-13  9:44 ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2006-09-13  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Melvin Anderson, xen-devel; +Cc: Gregor.Milos

On 11/9/06 16:19, "Melvin Anderson" <Melvin.Anderson@hp.com> wrote:

> The update from 0x00030201 to 0x00030202 introduced a change in the
> event_channel_op hypercall.  The Mini-OS console driver raises an event
> to indicate data has been written into the console ring.  Is it possible
> that the Mini-OS console driver isn't using the new event channel
> hypercall interface correctly?

Yes. That hypercall now has an ioctl-style interface: event_channel_op(int
cmd, void *arg). Take a look in the Linux sparse tree for examples of the
new usage.

 -- Keir

* Re: Console output stopped working in Mini-OS
@ 2006-09-14  1:43 ` Mark Williamson
From: Mark Williamson @ 2006-09-14  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: Melvin Anderson, Gregor.Milos

> Setting XEN_INTERFACE_VERSION to 0x00030201 in the Mini-OS makefile gets
> console output working again, although I don't guarantee it doesn't
> break other things.
>
> The update from 0x00030201 to 0x00030202 introduced a change in the
> event_channel_op hypercall.  The Mini-OS console driver raises an event
> to indicate data has been written into the console ring.  Is it possible
> that the Mini-OS console driver isn't using the new event channel
> hypercall interface correctly?

I discovered the event channel problem before I read this e-mail and have just
posted a patch to fix it.

For me, console output is still not work properly though, so some more digging
may be required.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!

* Re: Console output stopped working in Mini-OS
@ 2006-09-14  2:08   ` Mark Williamson
From: Mark Williamson @ 2006-09-14  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: Melvin Anderson, Gregor.Milos

Oops, I tell a lie :-)

I missed converting one structure in my original patch.  Fixed that, now
console works fine.  I'm sending the patch in a separate e-mail.

Cheers,
Mark