* [Bluez-devel] L2CAP device specific information
@ 2006-09-28  9:18 Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2006-09-28  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-devel

Hi,

with the release of bluez-utils-3.6 and bluez-utils-3.6.1, I added an
additional command to the l2test program to determine the extended
features of the remote L2CAP implementation. This will help us to
identify which devices will support retransmission and flow control
and/or connectionless connections.

# ./l2test -z 00:04:76:*:*:*
Connectionless MTU size is 670
Extended feature mask is not supported

The program must be run as root and can be found in the test directory
of bluez-utils. The switch --enable-test for configure enables its
compilation. There is not need to install it, you can run it from that
directory directly. If it stalls, then this might be a bug in the remote
L2CAP implementation when it doesn't answer to information requests. In
this case you might wanna run hcidump and check what happens.

So please report back information about your devices and I will collect
them and make them public at this location:

	http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/l2cap.html

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-devel] L2CAP device specific information
@ 2006-09-28 13:11 ` Martin Röhricht
From: Martin Röhricht @ 2006-09-28 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Hi Marcel,

Am Donnerstag, den 28.09.2006, 11:18 +0200 schrieb Marcel Holtmann:
> with the release of bluez-utils-3.6 and bluez-utils-3.6.1, I added an
> additional command to the l2test program to determine the extended
> features of the remote L2CAP implementation. This will help us to
> identify which devices will support retransmission and flow control
> and/or connectionless connections.

This sounds pretty nice. It looks like not many devices actually provide
this feature (which is already more than two years old according to the
release of the specification).
Nevertheless during my development time I encountered the Siemens S75
mobile phone to provide the full extended features mask as being
available but refusing any serious attempts during negotiation to
actually make use of it, e.g. sending a 0x0007 in the information
response, but declining any use in configuration responses ...

> # ./l2test -z 00:04:76:*:*:*
> Connectionless MTU size is 670
> Extended feature mask is not supported
>
> The program must be run as root and can be found in the test directory
> of bluez-utils. The switch --enable-test for configure enables its
> compilation. There is not need to install it, you can run it from that
> directory directly. If it stalls, then this might be a bug in the remote
> L2CAP implementation when it doesn't answer to information requests. In
> this case you might wanna run hcidump and check what happens.

In fact from my point of view, information requests have to be answered
according to the specification. If a device (like the mighty mouse?!)
doesn't do so I consider this to be a serious bug in Apple's
implementation. Already the second sentence of section 4.10 (Vol 4 of
the Bluetooth Spec) says:
"L2CAP implementations _shall_ respond to a valid Information Request
with an Information Response."
And it is mandatory to make use of Information Requests to configure and
use Flow Control:
"An L2CAP implementation _shall_ only use optional features or attribute
ranges for which the remote L2CAP entity has indicated support through
an Information Response."

> So please report back information about your devices and I will collect
> them and make them public at this location:
>
> 	http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/l2cap.html

I will do so once I get the time to upgrade to the latest bluez-libs and
bluez-utils. I'd wish to see these latest versions finding their way
into Ubuntu Edgy.
Perhaps anybody has the chance to test Windows Vista of it's current
capability?

Two more things beside that.
First of all---my patch provides support for flow control but lacks any
support for retransmission mode. Supplement this mode should be a lot
easier today starting from the current code base. Perhaps it may even
serve as a student's final year project or something like that.
Further more I will get some help from someone else to go over my patch
and get some code review done. This might help fixing bugs. I am
currently writing up a paper about all my work done during the past
months. I expect this to be done within the next few days. After that I
will try to get a native speaker to look over my report (any interest?).

Bye,
Martin

* Re: [Bluez-devel] L2CAP device specific information
@ 2006-09-28 13:38   ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2006-09-28 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Hi Martin,

> > with the release of bluez-utils-3.6 and bluez-utils-3.6.1, I added an
> > additional command to the l2test program to determine the extended
> > features of the remote L2CAP implementation. This will help us to
> > identify which devices will support retransmission and flow control
> > and/or connectionless connections.
>
> This sounds pretty nice. It looks like not many devices actually provide
> this feature (which is already more than two years old according to the
> release of the specification).

no profile is really making use of it and that is the actual problem.
Even if nobody likes RFCOMM, they still use it as base for a couple of
new profiles.

> Nevertheless during my development time I encountered the Siemens S75
> mobile phone to provide the full extended features mask as being
> available but refusing any serious attempts during negotiation to
> actually make use of it, e.g. sending a 0x0007 in the information
> response, but declining any use in configuration responses ...

It seems that only the Symbian 9.x based devices support the extended
features of L2CAP.

> In fact from my point of view, information requests have to be answered
> according to the specification. If a device (like the mighty mouse?!)
> doesn't do so I consider this to be a serious bug in Apple's
> implementation. Already the second sentence of section 4.10 (Vol 4 of
> the Bluetooth Spec) says:
> "L2CAP implementations _shall_ respond to a valid Information Request
> with an Information Response."
> And it is mandatory to make use of Information Requests to configure and
> use Flow Control:
> "An L2CAP implementation _shall_ only use optional features or attribute
> ranges for which the remote L2CAP entity has indicated support through
> an Information Response."

It was the old wireless mouse from Apple and I can't really complain
since old kernels have the same problem. We had a bug in the kernel that
didn't respond the information requests. The problem is that this got
never caught, because in the qualification process you can say that you
don't support the information request and then they don't check it. Even
if you don't support it, you still have to answer it the a command
rejected response. Neverless I found our bug by pure luck.

> I will do so once I get the time to upgrade to the latest bluez-libs and
> bluez-utils. I'd wish to see these latest versions finding their way
> into Ubuntu Edgy.

I hope that Edgy moves, but according to the release schedule they are
already in beta freeze by now.

> Perhaps anybody has the chance to test Windows Vista of it's current
> capability?

And the Widcomm stack please.

> Two more things beside that.
> First of all---my patch provides support for flow control but lacks any
> support for retransmission mode. Supplement this mode should be a lot
> easier today starting from the current code base. Perhaps it may even
> serve as a student's final year project or something like that.
> Further more I will get some help from someone else to go over my patch
> and get some code review done. This might help fixing bugs. I am
> currently writing up a paper about all my work done during the past
> months. I expect this to be done within the next few days. After that I
> will try to get a native speaker to look over my report (any interest?).

The features mask and the actual implementation might differ in the end,
but to collect the actual offered features is a good start. And if you
have an updated patch, please post it. I also heard some rumors that
your patch might be tested at the next UnPlugFest.

Regards

Marcel