* Udev, hal and loading of modules
@ 2007-02-06 20:43 Erik Andrén
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Erik Andrén @ 2007-02-06 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

* Re: Udev, hal and loading of modules
@ 2007-02-06 21:45 ` Kay Sievers
From: Kay Sievers @ 2007-02-06 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On 2/6/07, Erik Andrén <erik.andren@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've recently developed an addon for hal enabling backlight on dell
> machines to be controlled via dbus/hal. The catch right now is that the
> "dcdbas" linux kernel module needs to be loaded for the addon to work.
>
> My question is if there is a way for hal to suggest to udev what modules
> to load? Or are there better alternatives, such as udev probing the
> smbios (via dmidecode) and load the module that way?

Udev loads only modules, which are suggested by a MODALIAS value
supplied by the kernel. There is no generic infrastructure in udev to
load any module depending on other properties. Unfortunately, there is
no solution today; it's up to the distro tools to add an entry to some
file to load such modules unconditionally.

Kay

* Re: Udev, hal and loading of modules
@ 2007-02-07  2:38 ` David Zeuthen
From: David Zeuthen @ 2007-02-07  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 22:45 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On 2/6/07, Erik Andrén <erik.andren@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've recently developed an addon for hal enabling backlight on dell
> > machines to be controlled via dbus/hal. The catch right now is that the
> > "dcdbas" linux kernel module needs to be loaded for the addon to work.
> >
> > My question is if there is a way for hal to suggest to udev what modules
> > to load? Or are there better alternatives, such as udev probing the
> > smbios (via dmidecode) and load the module that way?
>
> Udev loads only modules, which are suggested by a MODALIAS value
> supplied by the kernel. There is no generic infrastructure in udev to
> load any module depending on other properties.

Supposedly

 - the kernel could export some node in sysfs describing the system
   (akin to HAL's computer root object); for smbios it would contain
   some DMI data; for other machine types it would contain something
   else (e.g. EFI)

 - modules like dcdbas could suggest a MODALIAS value and we could
   match this on the system node

 - udev would load the driver on matches

How about that?

> Unfortunately, there is
> no solution today; it's up to the distro tools to add an entry to some
> file to load such modules unconditionally.

This sucks and therefore we should change it.

     David

* Re: Udev, hal and loading of modules
@ 2007-02-07 21:35 ` Kay Sievers
From: Kay Sievers @ 2007-02-07 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 21:38 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 22:45 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > On 2/6/07, Erik Andrén <erik.andren@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I've recently developed an addon for hal enabling backlight on dell
> > > machines to be controlled via dbus/hal. The catch right now is that the
> > > "dcdbas" linux kernel module needs to be loaded for the addon to work.
> > >
> > > My question is if there is a way for hal to suggest to udev what modules
> > > to load? Or are there better alternatives, such as udev probing the
> > > smbios (via dmidecode) and load the module that way?

On which property would we match? That it's a Dell Laptop? Or a specific
model?

> > Udev loads only modules, which are suggested by a MODALIAS value
> > supplied by the kernel. There is no generic infrastructure in udev to
> > load any module depending on other properties.
>
> Supposedly
>
>  - the kernel could export some node in sysfs describing the system
>    (akin to HAL's computer root object); for smbios it would contain
>    some DMI data; for other machine types it would contain something
>    else (e.g. EFI)
>
>  - modules like dcdbas could suggest a MODALIAS value and we could
>    match this on the system node
>
>  - udev would load the driver on matches
>
> How about that?

Maybe, if the values in smbios can be used as a wildcard, to match a
modalias contained in the module.
But there once was a try to export smbios properties in /proc, but that
never made it somewhere, because userspace could handle it just fine by
reading /dev/mem ...

> > Unfortunately, there is
> > no solution today; it's up to the distro tools to add an entry to some
> > file to load such modules unconditionally.
>
> This sucks and therefore we should change it.

We probably just want a static list, that is composed by some program
that reads smbios values and stores the needed modulelist on disk, to
load modules unconditionally?

I wouldn't mind, to put such a list in /etc/udev/<whatever> and load all
these modules with the udev init-script at every bootup.

Thanks,
Kay