* How does iptables 'make' pick which modules to compile?
@ 2007-02-07 11:54 Andrew Beverley
From: Andrew Beverley @ 2007-02-07 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel

Hi,

I'm trying to get iptables 1.3.7 to compile with kernel 2.6.17.4

Some of the modules are not even attempted to be made, so I was wondering what
it is in the make cycle that decides which modules it should try and build?

I get "Making dependencies: please wait...", each module is then compiled but
some are missed out. Is this because the make does not think it has all the
headers needed to compile them?

I had a similar problem with 1.3.6 and fixed this by adding a KERNEL_DIR
environment variable to make; however, this does not seem to help this time.

Many thanks,

Andy Beverley

* Re: How does iptables 'make' pick which modules to compile?
@ 2007-02-07 15:29 ` Amin Azez
From: Amin Azez @ 2007-02-07 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Beverley; +Cc: netfilter-devel

* Andrew Beverley wrote, On 07/02/07 11:54:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get iptables 1.3.7 to compile with kernel 2.6.17.4
>
> Some of the modules are not even attempted to be made, so I was wondering what
> it is in the make cycle that decides which modules it should try and build?
>
> I get "Making dependencies: please wait...", each module is then compiled but
> some are missed out. Is this because the make does not think it has all the
> headers needed to compile them?
>
> I had a similar problem with 1.3.6 and fixed this by adding a KERNEL_DIR
> environment variable to make; however, this does not seem to help this time.

Look for .files (files beginning with a . ) in the extension directory.
These test files signal that a module can be build, by returning with a
0 (normal) exit code.

Sam

* Re: How does iptables 'make' pick which modules to compile?
@ 2007-02-07 16:13   ` Andrew Beverley
From: Andrew Beverley @ 2007-02-07 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Azez; +Cc: Blake Covarrubias, netfilter-devel

> > I'm trying to get iptables 1.3.7 to compile with kernel 2.6.17.4
> >
> > Some of the modules are not even attempted to be made, so I was wondering what
> > it is in the make cycle that decides which modules it should try and build?
> >
> > I get "Making dependencies: please wait...", each module is then compiled but
> > some are missed out. Is this because the make does not think it has all the
> > headers needed to compile them?
> >
> > I had a similar problem with 1.3.6 and fixed this by adding a KERNEL_DIR
> > environment variable to make; however, this does not seem to help this time.
> >

> Look for .files (files beginning with a . ) in the extension directory.
> These test files signal that a module can be build, by returning with a
> 0 (normal) exit code.

Brilliant, I see exactly what you mean. The modules are not compiling
because (I guess) my kernel is not patched for those particular ones.

I still have a problem though for which I will start a separate thread.

Thanks,

Andy Beverley