* Hermes PCI broken on 2.6.20?
@ 2007-02-09  1:28 Deepak Saxena
From: Deepak Saxena @ 2007-02-09  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev, linville

Running both 2.6.20 and 2.6.18, the hermes PCI driver (CONFIG_HERMES_PCI)
gives the following errors. Card is a revision 1 chipset (Dev ID 3873).
Note that when iwconfig is run a few times in a row, the error messages
go away but they might just be getting ratelimited. Anyone else seen
this?

root@10.40.20.173:~# iwconfig
eth0      no wirhermes @ c8810000: Card removed while waiting for command
0x0021 completion.
eless extensionshermes @ c8810000: Card removed while issuing command
0x0021.
.

lo        nhermes @ c8810000: Card removed while issuing command 0x0021.
o wireless extenhermes @ c8810000: Card removed while issuing command
0x0021.
sions.

eth1  hermes @ c8810000: Card removed while issuing command 0x0021.
    no wireless hermes @ c8810000: Card removed while issuing command
0x0011.
hermes @ c8810000: Card removed while issuing command 0x0021.
extensions.

hermes @ c8810000: Card removed while issuing command 0x0021.
hermes @ c8810000: Card removed while issuing command 0x0021.
eth2      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:""  Nickname:"Prism  I"
          Mode:Managed  Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
          RTS thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0  invalid misc:0

tunl0     no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

ip6tnl0   no wireless extensions.

root@10.40.20.173:~# iwconfig eth2 essid qafarm-ap
hermes @ c8810000: Card removed while issuing command 0x0011.
hermes @ c8810000: Card removed while issuing command 0x0021.
root@10.40.20.173:~# iwconfig eth2 essid qafarm-ap
printk: 3 messages suppressed.
hermes @ c8810000: Card removed while issuing command 0x0011.
root@10.40.20.173:~# iwconfig eth2 essid qafarm-ap
root@10.40.20.173:~# ifconfig eth2 10.40.20.200 netmask  255.255.252.0 up
hermes @ c8810000: BAP0 offset timeout: reg=0x8000 id=0xfc01 offset=0x0
eth2: Error -110 setting MAC address
eth2: Error -110 configuring card
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Coeth2: Error -110 setting MAC address
eth2: Error -110 configuring card
nnection timed out
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Connection timed out

--
Deepak Saxena - dsaxena@plexity.net - http://www.plexity.net

The terrorist and the policeman both come from the same basket.
	-- Joseph Conrad, The Secret Agent

* Re: Hermes PCI broken on 2.6.20?
@ 2007-02-09  5:29 ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2007-02-09  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsaxena; +Cc: netdev, linville

Hello!

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 17:28 -0800, Deepak Saxena wrote:
> Running both 2.6.20 and 2.6.18, the hermes PCI driver (CONFIG_HERMES_PCI)
> gives the following errors. Card is a revision 1 chipset (Dev ID 3873).
> Note that when iwconfig is run a few times in a row, the error messages
> go away but they might just be getting ratelimited. Anyone else seen
> this?
>
> root@10.40.20.173:~# iwconfig
> eth0      no wirhermes @ c8810000: Card removed while waiting for command
> 0x0021 completion.
> eless extensionshermes @ c8810000: Card removed while issuing command
> 0x0021.

I don't see any problems with orinoco_pci in Linux 2.6.20.  It looks
more like a hardware problem or some very old firmware.

Just to exclude possible problems with the driver that I cannot
reproduce, please try hostap_pci.  It supports all devices supported by
orinoco_pci.

You may want to send further replies to
orinoco-devel@lists.sourceforge.net where it would be seen by those
actually using the driver.