* Tried to install Vista for Class Virtualization Use -- Failure
@ 2007-02-09 20:11 Iain Kyte
       [not found] ` <635499.64416.qm-KffyWOtZx0mA/QwVtaZbd3CJp6faPEW9@public.gmane.org>
From: Iain Kyte @ 2007-02-09 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Failed to get Windows Vista to install on KVM-13.

Tried the following combinations:

kvm  and no-kvm -- Blue Screen of Death
no-acpi (kvm or no-kvm) -- Can only install if BIOS supports ACPI error.

I have taken screen shots of both situations if people are interested.  Just
have not posted to this message to keep our Mail Queues and boxes uncluttered.

I could help with debugging and development testing of Vista.

Iain

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/

* Re: Tried to install Vista for Class Virtualization Use -- Failure
       [not found] ` <635499.64416.qm-KffyWOtZx0mA/QwVtaZbd3CJp6faPEW9@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-02-09 20:19   ` Lonnie Mendez
From: Lonnie Mendez @ 2007-02-09 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 12:11 -0800, Iain Kyte wrote:
> Failed to get Windows Vista to install on KVM-13.
>
> Tried the following combinations:
>
> kvm  and no-kvm -- Blue Screen of Death
> no-acpi (kvm or no-kvm) -- Can only install if BIOS supports ACPI error.
>
> I have taken screen shots of both situations if people are interested.  Just
> have not posted to this message to keep our Mail Queues and boxes uncluttered.
>

> I could help with debugging and development testing of Vista.

The ACPI implementation in qemu is v1.0.  Vista wants at least ACPI 2.0.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-11/msg00255.html

  qemu 0.9.0 moves the ACPI tables into the bochs bios where they belong
- should be just a matter of updating these tables and other misc code.

  Although IIRC ACPI doesn't work very well with KVM/KQEMU at the moment
for other reasons.

* Re: Tried to install Vista for Class Virtualization Use-- Failure
@ 2007-02-09 22:38     ` Dor Laor
From: Dor Laor @ 2007-02-09 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lonnie Mendez, kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

>> Failed to get Windows Vista to install on KVM-13.
>>
>> Tried the following combinations:
>>
>> kvm  and no-kvm -- Blue Screen of Death
>> no-acpi (kvm or no-kvm) -- Can only install if BIOS supports ACPI
error.

>> I have taken screen shots of both situations if people are
interested.
>Just
>> have not posted to this message to keep our Mail Queues and boxes
>uncluttered.
>>

>> I could help with debugging and development testing of Vista.
>
>The ACPI implementation in qemu is v1.0.  Vista wants at least ACPI
2.0.

>http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-11/msg00255.html
>
>  qemu 0.9.0 moves the ACPI tables into the bochs bios where they
belong
>- should be just a matter of updating these tables and other misc code.
>
>  Although IIRC ACPI doesn't work very well with KVM/KQEMU at the
moment
>for other reasons.

- Since KVM-12 it is possible to install windows without the -no-acpi
flag.
- We will soon upgrade our Qemu from 0.82 toward 0.9 so hopefully vista
will soon be energized by KVM.
- I managed to install the vista beta version. (I know the release is
problematic even to qemu head).

>Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services,
security?
>Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job
>easier.
>Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache
Geronimo