* [Bluez-devel] aaaaaargh spam
@ 2007-02-14 23:00 Mike Hodson
From: Mike Hodson @ 2007-02-14 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Is there any way sourceforge can curtail all this bloody spam on the list?

Also, I've been a tad busy but I'll try getting my headset re-paired tonight.

Mike

* Re: [Bluez-devel] aaaaaargh spam
@ 2007-02-14 23:29 ` Thomas Kear
From: Thomas Kear @ 2007-02-14 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Mike Hodson wrote:
> Is there any way sourceforge can curtail all this bloody spam on the list?
>
> Also, I've been a tad busy but I'll try getting my headset re-paired
> tonight.
>
> Mike

Cue the 5th (or so) discussion about this topic in just a few short months.
Usually the direction these threads take is toward list posting being closed
so only list subscribers can post to the list.  Hasn't happened yet though.

--Thomas

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 189 bytes --]

* Re: [Bluez-devel] aaaaaargh spam
@ 2007-02-15  8:24   ` Marcel Holtmann
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2007-02-15  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas.kear, BlueZ development

Hi Thomas,

> > Is there any way sourceforge can curtail all this bloody spam on the list?
>
> Cue the 5th (or so) discussion about this topic in just a few short months.
> Usually the direction these threads take is toward list posting being closed
> so only list subscribers can post to the list.  Hasn't happened yet though.

to make this clear once and for all. Write to the Sourceforge guys and
complain about the spam. I have no way to add spam filters to the
mailing list.

The bluez-users mailing list is now closed for subscribers, but for
bluez-devel this is not an option. This mailing list is listed in the
MAINTAINERS file of the Linux kernel and meant to be an open mailing
list.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-devel] aaaaaargh spam
@ 2007-02-15  9:16     ` Mike Hodson
From: Mike Hodson @ 2007-02-15  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

On 2/15/07, Marcel Holtmann <marcel@holtmann.org> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> to make this clear once and for all. Write to the Sourceforge guys and
> complain about the spam. I have no way to add spam filters to the
> mailing list.

And I did just that, submitted a "excessive spam" support ticket to
their support system. We'll see if anything comes of it ...

And, I'm still planning to re-test my spider with the newest build,
but I've been busy :)

@ 2007-02-15 22:34       ` Kinney Baughman
From: Kinney Baughman @ 2007-02-15 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Mike Hodson wrote:
> On 2/15/07, Marcel Holtmann <marcel@holtmann.org> wrote:
>> Hi Thomas,
>> to make this clear once and for all. Write to the Sourceforge guys and
>> complain about the spam. I have no way to add spam filters to the
>> mailing list.
>>
> And I did just that, submitted a "excessive spam" support ticket to
> their support system. We'll see if anything comes of it ...
>
> And, I'm still planning to re-test my spider with the newest build,
> but I've been busy :)

At the risk of promising more than I can deliver, the list runs on
Mailman.  I run that on my server.  I'll take a look at the code and see
if there's a way to trap on certain patterns in the spam posts that come
through.  I've been deleting them but I'll start saving them and see
what kind of patterns can be discerned.  Maybe we can catch at least
some of what comes through.

--
Kinney

* Re: [Bluez-devel] aaaaaargh spam
@ 2007-02-16  3:51     ` Andrew Kohlsmith
From: Andrew Kohlsmith @ 2007-02-16  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-devel

On Thursday 15 February 2007 3:24 am, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> The bluez-users mailing list is now closed for subscribers, but for
> bluez-devel this is not an option. This mailing list is listed in the
> MAINTAINERS file of the Linux kernel and meant to be an open mailing
> list.

I'm not a mailman expert, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a "confirm your
post if you're a nonsubscriber" option somewhere...

-A.

* Re: [Bluez-devel] aaaaaargh spam
@ 2007-02-16  4:06     ` Kelly Price
From: Kelly Price @ 2007-02-16  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

On 2/15/07, Marcel Holtmann <marcel@holtmann.org> wrote:
> to make this clear once and for all. Write to the Sourceforge guys and
> complain about the spam. I have no way to add spam filters to the
> mailing list.
>
> The bluez-users mailing list is now closed for subscribers, but for
> bluez-devel this is not an option. This mailing list is listed in the
> MAINTAINERS file of the Linux kernel and meant to be an open mailing
> list.

Can't you appoint a moderator for unsubscribed posts, if this is GNU
Mailman?  I'm looking over the software's feature list, and it looks
like that's the best solution at this time if we can't close the list
to subscribers (even though subscribing is free and verified)

--
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
http://strredwolf.furrynet.com

* Re: [Bluez-devel] aaaaaargh spam
@ 2007-02-16  8:31       ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2007-02-16  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Hi Andrew,

> > The bluez-users mailing list is now closed for subscribers, but for
> > bluez-devel this is not an option. This mailing list is listed in the
> > MAINTAINERS file of the Linux kernel and meant to be an open mailing
> > list.
>
> I'm not a mailman expert, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a "confirm your
> post if you're a nonsubscriber" option somewhere...

the whole point is to have this mailing list open, because non-BlueZ
people will forward kernel related stuff. It will stay open.

Regards

Marcel