* SELinux and LFS
@ 2007-02-14 17:38 Vincenzo Ciaglia
From: Vincenzo Ciaglia @ 2007-02-14 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SELinux

Hi, after some weeks i decided to come back at work on SELinux.
I'm still writing you about SELinux support problem on an LFS-based
distribution.

So, here is what i have done so far:

1) Kernel Configuration

I built the kernel with these options:

# CONFIG_KEYS is not set
CONFIG_SECURITY=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_NETWORK=y
# CONFIG_SECURITY_NETWORK_XFRM is not set
CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y
# CONFIG_SECURITY_ROOTPLUG is not set
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_BOOTPARAM=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_BOOTPARAM_VALUE=1
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_DISABLE=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_DEVELOP=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_AVC_STATS=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_CHECKREQPROT_VALUE=1
# CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_ENABLE_SECMARK_DEFAULT is not set
# CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_POLICYDB_VERSION_MAX is not set

Of course with Ext[23] extended attributes, NET && INET, NETWORK_SECMARK
and AUDIT support.

2) I have built and installed the SELinux userland packages
(checkpolicy,libselinux, policycoreutils, policy) from:

svn co
https://selinux.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/selinux/branches/stable/1_0/

3) I unpacked the latest refpolicy according to:
http://oss.tresys.com/projects/refpolicy/wiki/UseRefpolicy

4) I still haven't patched packages like coreutils and sons.

5) I have created the /selinux mountpoint directory and added the
following lines in fstab:

none                   /selinux  selinuxfs defaults         0    0

6) So i added this line to my "lilo.conf":

        append="enforcing=0"

7) Finally i tried to boot with the new kernel (2.6.20) and after the
reboot the result is:

# sestatus
SELinux status:                 disabled
#
#############################

Of course i can't go ahead from the point 5 to 11 of the official README
in "selinux-doc".

I don't know if i really forgot something or if i skip something while
i'm configuring SELinux because this is my really first experience with
selinux configuration. What am i missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--
Vincenzo Ciaglia, <vin(at)netwosix(dot)org>
Linux Netwosix, <http://www.netwosix.org>

* SELinux and LFS
@ 2003-05-07 16:02 Nick Gray
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nick Gray @ 2003-05-07 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

All,

I introduced myself several months back. I work on a MLS project for the
ONI. We have been evaluating SELinux for awhile. A couple of months ago
I raise a question, within our group, about the viability of using
RedHat as a base for a secure system. I believe that certification of a
system based on a (almost any) distribution would be rather difficult to
achieve. This coupled with the fact that a Redhat server that was under
scrutiny here at the lab, continued to contact Redhat via HTTPS despite
my efforts to remove the software responsible. I actually found circular
dependencies in the packages.

This led me to the question, Does anyone remember when we used to build
this things from scratch. In answer to that question, I found a web site
which I have been playing with for the last couple of weeks called
appropriately enough "Linux from Scratch" so far I have been able to use
LFS as the starting point for a CDROM based Linux gateway/firewall.I
started a build of SELinux on a LFS system, but had several problems
including discovering what I believe are a couple bugs in the code.I
have put it aside for the moment to work on a couple of other things,
but I will return to this when I get the chance.

I am interested in whether anyone on the list has used this as the
starting point for SELinux and what the results where.

In the next day or so I will post the problem I found in the makefile.
Perhaps it is either a known issue or doesn't come up on Redhat based
systems. In a separate post I will address a problem I found in string.h
(as soon as I get a chance to figure out what the problem is)

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Redhat. I'm just not sure
that I could keep a straight face when placing this in front of the
accreditors.

Any comments/discussion would be appreciated

Nick Gray
Senior Network Engineer
Bruzenak Inc.