* ssh/xinetd/getpeercon???
@ 2007-02-14 23:26 Joy Latten
From: Joy Latten @ 2007-02-14 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vyekkirala, redhat-lspp; +Cc: selinux

I have been playing with the ssh-mls which gets called through xinetd
when labeled networking is in use and am confused about what I am
seeing. :-)

My assumption is that when using this feature, the resulting ssh
connection will have single mls level, which is the effective level of
the issuer.

For example, if I am
uid=500(ealuser) gid=500(ealuser) groups=10(wheel),500(ealuser)
context=staff_u:staff_r:staff_t:s3-s9

When I issue ssh -p 222 -l <user> <host>, I expect to see "s3" as my new
mls level in the new ssh connection when I do an "id".

With CIPSO, this happens.
With labeled ipsec, I get "s3-s9".

Debugging xinetd, I noticed that when using CIPSO, getpeercon() returns
"system_u:object_r:unlabeled_t:s3".

When using labeled ipsec, getpeercon() returns
"root:sysadm_r:sysadm_ssh_t:s3-s9".

I always wondered if getpeercon() would someday lift its head and bite,
I just wish it had not been on Valentine's Day. :-)
I am concerned about the mls label being returned.

So, my question is, how is this suppose to work?
Does CIPSO, when given an mls range, like s3-s9, only pass
the effective level through in ip options? If so, is this
what labeled ipsec should be doing? Should we be setting only the
effective level in the SA? If so, that could potentially create
even more SAs. Or should xinetd, when given a range, should only
set the effective level for the new process? I kinda like this
solution best, that is, xinetd setting single effective level. But
I don't know if that is correct resolution?

Regards,
Joy