* Disk label from hotplug sub system
@ 2007-02-15 13:57 Babu, Narendra (GE Healthcare)
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Babu, Narendra (GE Healthcare) @ 2007-02-15 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Hi List,

I am trying to use the hotplug on my system running kernel version 2.4.

To differentiate between number of disks on my system , we have unique
labels for each disk.

Is there any way to get USB disk label from the Hotplug system ???

Thanks,
Narendra Babu H.C.

* Re: Disk label from hotplug sub system
@ 2007-02-15 18:20 ` Kay Sievers
From: Kay Sievers @ 2007-02-15 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On 2/15/07, Babu, Narendra (GE Healthcare) <Narendra.Babu@ge.com> wrote:
> I am trying to use the hotplug on my system running kernel version 2.4.

Good luck. :)

> To differentiate between number of disks on my system , we have unique
> labels for each disk.
>
> Is there any way to get USB disk label from the Hotplug system ???

What do you mean with "usb label"? A property/string of the usb device
itself, or a filesystem label stored on the disk?

Kay

* RE: Disk label from hotplug sub system
@ 2007-02-16  4:38 ` Babu, Narendra (GE Healthcare)
From: Babu, Narendra (GE Healthcare) @ 2007-02-16  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

It is a volume\drive\partition label.
For example on windows I will give a label "Narendra" to a USB hard
disk.
When we connect the same to system running Fedora with hotplug , it
creates a desktop icon with name Narendra.

I would like to know how the user space get this label from hotplug
subsystem.

Thanks,
Narendra

@ 2007-02-16  7:01 ` Kay Sievers
From: Kay Sievers @ 2007-02-16  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 09:56 +0530, Babu, Narendra (GE Healthcare) wrote:
> It is a volume\drive\partition label.
> For example on windows I will give a label "Narendra" to a USB hard
> disk.
> When we connect the same to system running Fedora with hotplug , it
> creates a desktop icon with name Narendra.
>
> I would like to know how the user space get this label from hotplug
> subsystem.

On a system running udev, it's libvolume_id(vol_id), which reads the
filesystem information:
  /lib/udev/vol_id --export /dev/sda6
  ID_FS_USAGE=filesystem
  ID_FS_TYPE=ext3
  ID_FS_VERSION=1.0
  ID_FS_UUIDL97a0bd-e58d-4fb0-9524-a8314619afa5
  ID_FS_LABEL=work

The same library is used by HAL, which provides the
infrastructure/information for the desktop to automatically mount the
volume and name it after the label.

On older boxes you can try to read the label with the program blkid.

Good luck,
Kay