* Who know latest Linux/MIPS ABI ?
@ 2007-02-15  1:46 ` 김민찬
From: 김민찬 @ 2007-02-15  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

I want to know ELF format well in MIPS architecture.
But in case of elf spec document on net, it had explained about i386. so I
can't find specific sections about MIPS ELF. For example, Sections
(.MIPS.stubs, .jcr, .pdr ) and so on.

There is a MIPS ABI document in linux-mips.org. But it is very obsolete. As
I know, any vendor don't use obsolete system V ABI. Currently, Is any ABI
using o32 or n32 and so on.

I hope I get a latest MIPS ABI and ELF Spec on Linux/MIPS.
Who know where I get it?

Thanks in advance.

From: 김민찬 @ 2007-02-15  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

I want to know ELF format well in MIPS architecture.
But in case of elf spec document on net, it had explained about i386. so I
can't find specific sections about MIPS ELF. For example, Sections
(.MIPS.stubs, .jcr, .pdr ) and so on.

There is a MIPS ABI document in linux-mips.org. But it is very obsolete. As
I know, any vendor don't use obsolete system V ABI. Currently, Is any ABI
using o32 or n32 and so on.

I hope I get a latest MIPS ABI and ELF Spec on Linux/MIPS.
Who know where I get it?

Thanks in advance.

* Re: Who know latest Linux/MIPS ABI ?
  (?)
@ 2007-02-15 12:34 ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2007-02-15 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: barrioskmc; +Cc: linux-mips

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 10:46:39AM +0900, ������ wrote:

> I want to know ELF format well in MIPS architecture.
> But in case of elf spec document on net, it had explained about i386. so I
> can't find specific sections about MIPS ELF. For example, Sections
> (.MIPS.stubs, .jcr, .pdr ) and so on.
>
> There is a MIPS ABI document in linux-mips.org. But it is very obsolete. As
> I know, any vendor don't use obsolete system V ABI. Currently, Is any ABI
> using o32 or n32 and so on.
>
> I hope I get a latest MIPS ABI and ELF Spec on Linux/MIPS.
> Who know where I get it?

The documentation situation is a bit mess.  The SysV gABI and MIPS psABI
document the ABI ELF flavour which actually is only a subset of what
Linux/MIPS actually uses.  For the extensions you can probably find
individual papers and postings scattered over the net.

  Ralf

@ 2007-02-16 18:50 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2007-02-16 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 김민찬; +Cc: linux-mips

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 10:46 +0900, 김민찬 wrote:
> I hope I get a latest MIPS ABI and ELF Spec on Linux/MIPS.
> Who know where I get it?

There is some documentation available from SGI.  Try
  http://docs.sgi.com
You start by searching for ABI, but there may also be other docs you
want to look at.  There may also be relevant documentation available
from MIPS.  Try them also.
  http://www.mips.com
and then hunt around for documentation.

You can find good info on calling conventions in these places, but you
aren't going to find good info on low level stuff like object file
formats.  For that, you will probably need to read code.  You have two
basic choices here.
1) Buy an SGI Irix5 and/or Irix6 machine, and start reading header files
in /usr/include.  Irix5 has ECOFF and ELF o32 support.  Irix6 has ELF
o32, n32, and n64 support.
2) Start reading the MIPS bfd support in GNU binutils.

jcr is a gcc feature for java.  Something like "java class record".  It
should be safe to ignore it unless you are using java.  This isn't MIPS
specific.

pdr is procedure descriptor record.  It is a left over from the SGI
Irix5 ECOFF days, which SGI carried forward into their ELF
implementation, and which was copied by the GNU and linux tools.

For MIPS.stubs, that one I didn't know, I had to look it up.  The bfd
comments say it is for dynamic linking, so that function pointer
comparisons work correctly for functions defined in shared libraries.
--
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.specifix.com

* Re: Who know latest Linux/MIPS ABI ?
@ 2007-02-16 19:01   ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2007-02-16 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 김민찬; +Cc: linux-mips

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 10:50 -0800, Jim Wilson wrote:
> 1) Buy an SGI Irix5 and/or Irix6 machine, and start reading header files
> in /usr/include.  Irix5 has ECOFF and ELF o32 support.  Irix6 has ELF
> o32, n32, and n64 support.

If you are desperate enough to try this, make sure the machine has a
compiler.  Some of the header files you need may be part of the compiler
package, and I don't recall if the compiler comes standard with Irix.
It might be an extra package.
--

@ 2007-02-16 20:27     ` regan
From: regan @ 2007-02-16 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: 김민찬, linux-mips

Hi,

I am just joining this list.

MIPS Pro compiler does not come free of charge.
My initial quote from SGI was in the area of $3,000..!

I have the latest compiler 7.4.4 i can have a look, when I get home.

Regan

@ 2007-02-16 22:31       ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2007-02-16 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: regan; +Cc: 김민찬, linux-mips

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 07:27 +1100, regan wrote:
> MIPS Pro compiler does not come free of charge.
> My initial quote from SGI was in the area of $3,000..!

GNU Binutils is free though, and one of the options here.
--

@ 2007-02-16 23:35         ` Thiemo Seufer
From: Thiemo Seufer @ 2007-02-16 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: regan, ?????????, linux-mips

Jim Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 07:27 +1100, regan wrote:
> > MIPS Pro compiler does not come free of charge.
> > My initial quote from SGI was in the area of $3,000..!
>
> GNU Binutils is free though, and one of the options here.

It also is, sadly, the _only_ reasonably complete and up-to-date
"specification" of the Linux/MIPS ABIs.

Thiemo