* Re: [oe-commits] org.oe.dev xserver-common 1.13: Re-add calibrate-only-if-ts.patch after merge.
       [not found] <E1HFb2e-0007GK-Jp@linuxtogo.org>
@ 2007-02-19 16:27 ` Florian Boor
From: Florian Boor @ 2007-02-19 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

pfalcon commit schrieb:
> xserver-common 1.13: Re-add calibrate-only-if-ts.patch after merge.

that's a very good idea but I am sure the patch will break calibration on quite
some devices because the device might have a different name. Maybe use
detect-stylus for this purpose.

Greetings

Florian

--
The dream of yesterday                  Florian Boor
is the hope of today                    Tel: +49 271-771091-14

1D78 2D4D 6C53 1CA4 5588  D07B A8E7 940C 25B7 9A76

* Re: [oe-commits] org.oe.dev xserver-common 1.13: Re-add calibrate-only-if-ts.patch after merge.
@ 2007-02-20 20:55   ` Paul Sokolovsky
From: Paul Sokolovsky @ 2007-02-20 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Boor; +Cc: openembedded-devel

Hello Florian,

> pfalcon commit schrieb:
>> xserver-common 1.13: Re-add calibrate-only-if-ts.patch after merge.

> that's a very good idea but I am sure the patch will break calibration on quite
> some devices because the device might have a different name. Maybe use
> detect-stylus for this purpose.

  There was RFC to standardize name of touchscreen device in OE, and
at the beginning of year corresponding changes were made (not by me
;-) ). For all 2.6 devices (which has standardized touchscreen support),
there's a udevd rule which creates symlink from /dev/input/touchscreen0 to
real device. Maintainers of 2.4 devices (which are mostly replaced with 2.6
versions in OE.dev by now) are expected to provide such link by other
means - either create link specific to some device, or use tool like
detect-stylus.

  Such change does good job of clarifying touchscreen detection in system
(you might remember my tries few months ago to implement it cleanly in
Familiar).

  I understand that such a change would be too liberal for GPE mainline
at this time, but OE.dev provides nice staging ground for that, so
let's see how it goes.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml@gmail.com

* Re: [oe-commits] org.oe.dev xserver-common 1.13: Re-add calibrate-only-if-ts.patch after merge.
@ 2007-02-20 22:14     ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2007-02-20 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 22:55 +0200, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> > pfalcon commit schrieb:
> >> xserver-common 1.13: Re-add calibrate-only-if-ts.patch after merge.
>
> > that's a very good idea but I am sure the patch will break calibration on quite
> > some devices because the device might have a different name. Maybe use
> > detect-stylus for this purpose.
>
>   There was RFC to standardize name of touchscreen device in OE, and
> at the beginning of year corresponding changes were made (not by me
> ;-) ). For all 2.6 devices (which has standardized touchscreen support),
> there's a udevd rule which creates symlink from /dev/input/touchscreen0 to
> real device. Maintainers of 2.4 devices (which are mostly replaced with 2.6
> versions in OE.dev by now) are expected to provide such link by other
> means - either create link specific to some device, or use tool like
> detect-stylus.
>
>   Such change does good job of clarifying touchscreen detection in system
> (you might remember my tries few months ago to implement it cleanly in
> Familiar).
>
>   I understand that such a change would be too liberal for GPE mainline
> at this time, but OE.dev provides nice staging ground for that, so
> let's see how it goes.

Since I was the one who pushed some of this, let me clarify my position
at least.

My intention was to standardise all 2.6 kernels using udev to use the
udev rule, use /dev/touchscreen* and therefore remove the need for
detect-stylus and machine specific ts-conf packages. I have no problem
having custom tslib conf files for a 2.4 device which needs to work
differently. I have now changed the defaults to reflect what the
majority of new users will be using though.

As for xserver-common, I'd like to see the standard version of the
scripts remain detect-stylus free as it can work on the majority of
targets supported by OE without that now. If some legacy devices need
it, lets give them a machine specific customised xserver-common like
tslib. OE can handle that kind of thing really easily.

I make no comment about what GPE itself might want, the needs of GPE and
the needs of OE look to be differing but the patch is valid for OE's
needs even if not acceptable "upstream". Issues like this is one reason
poky "forked" those scripts as we knew our needs might not always match
GPEs or OEs.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [oe-commits] org.oe.dev xserver-common 1.13: Re-add calibrate-only-if-ts.patch after merge.
@ 2007-02-21 23:05       ` Florian Boor
From: Florian Boor @ 2007-02-21 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: openembedded-devel

Hi,

Richard Purdie wrote:

> My intention was to standardise all 2.6 kernels using udev to use the
> udev rule, use /dev/touchscreen* and therefore remove the need for
> detect-stylus and machine specific ts-conf packages. I have no problem
> having custom tslib conf files for a 2.4 device which needs to work
> differently. I have now changed the defaults to reflect what the
> majority of new users will be using though.

right, basically a good idea I like as well, but not a hack that is likely
break things.

> As for xserver-common, I'd like to see the standard version of the
> scripts remain detect-stylus free as it can work on the majority of
> targets supported by OE without that now. If some legacy devices need
> it, lets give them a machine specific customised xserver-common like
> tslib. OE can handle that kind of thing really easily.

It should not be necessary to have machine specific versions of that package
which is something we should try to avoid where ever possible.
Just make that patch a little bit more smart... maybe check if TSLIB_TSDEVICE is
set and honor is in this case.

> needs even if not acceptable "upstream". Issues like this is one reason
> poky "forked" those scripts as we knew our needs might not always match

Well... in this case it is that easy to avoid forking, so why wasting
time maintaining a fork?

Greetings

Florian

--

@ 2007-02-22  0:49         ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2007-02-22  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Boor; +Cc: openembedded-devel

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 00:05 +0100, Florian Boor wrote:
> Richard Purdie wrote:
> > As for xserver-common, I'd like to see the standard version of the
> > scripts remain detect-stylus free as it can work on the majority of
> > targets supported by OE without that now. If some legacy devices need
> > it, lets give them a machine specific customised xserver-common like
> > tslib. OE can handle that kind of thing really easily.
>
> It should not be necessary to have machine specific versions of that package
> which is something we should try to avoid where ever possible.
> Just make that patch a little bit more smart... maybe check if TSLIB_TSDEVICE is
> set and honor is in this case.

If it references detect-stylus in the script, it RDEPENDS on
detect-stylus and we have a needless dependency. This is why I'm
suggesting two versions as a lot of devices don't need that dependency.

> > needs even if not acceptable "upstream". Issues like this is one reason
> > poky "forked" those scripts as we knew our needs might not always match
>
> Well... in this case it is that easy to avoid forking, so why wasting
> time maintaining a fork?

I didn't and don't want to spend time having to justify whatever changes
we make in poky in that area to OE/GPE/whoever. I can guarantee I've
already spent more time in this thread than any time I've spent
maintaining that "fork". I say "fork" as I'm not blocking changes
passing to/from poky, I actively encourage it and if I made any
fundamental changes useful to upstream I would pass them on. I just know
we need certain changes in Poky but I know upstream won't like certain
changes and therefore I choose not to sync them. Some of the changes
we're discussing originated in poky which kind of proves my point :-(.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [oe-commits] org.oe.dev xserver-common 1.13: Re-add calibrate-only-if-ts.patch after merge.
@ 2007-02-22  7:23           ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2007-02-22  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel