* Better icon for qgit
@ 2007-02-24  1:06 Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2007-02-24  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Costalba; +Cc: git

Hi, Marco!

I see that qgit got its own icon, but I think it's confusing to reuse an
icon used by another project.  I'm attaching what I think would be a
better qgit icon.  I tried to use the same gamma but represent the
unique qgit look.

I understand that only one icon can be used, and it should better be a
16x16 icon to avoid scaling.

I'm copying the git list in case somebody could improve the icon or
suggest something better.

Pavel Roskin

[-- Attachment #2: qgit.xpm --]
[-- Type: image/x-xpixmap, Size: 430 bytes --]

* Re: Better icon for qgit
@ 2007-02-24  6:47 ` Marco Costalba
From: Marco Costalba @ 2007-02-24  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Roskin; +Cc: git, Bernhard Walle

On 2/24/07, Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi, Marco!
>
> I see that qgit got its own icon, but I think it's confusing to reuse an
> icon used by another project.  I'm attaching what I think would be a
> better qgit icon.  I tried to use the same gamma but represent the
> unique qgit look.
>
> I understand that only one icon can be used, and it should better be a
> 16x16 icon to avoid scaling.
>
> I'm copying the git list in case somebody could improve the icon or
> suggest something better.

Hi Pavel,

  it's ok for me to use your icon, I don't know if a 16x16 it's
enough, there is the window title but also application tool bar and
ALT+TAB application chooser where icons are bigger.

In particular your icon does not show well in ALT+TAB app chooser,
while the Bernhard's one does.

I would like to post a new release very soon, now that git-1.5 is out,
to fix a bug due to a change of git-rev-list output format in case of
i18n encoding info in git 1.5 that makes log titles in main view list
completly disappear!! under some cases.

This bug triggers only with git-1.5 and above so I really need to push
a point release.

Thanks
Marco

* Re: Better icon for qgit
@ 2007-02-26  9:43   ` Bernhard Walle
From: Bernhard Walle @ 2007-02-26  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Costalba; +Cc: Pavel Roskin, git

Hello,

* Marco Costalba <mcostalba@gmail.com> [2007-02-24 07:47]:
> On 2/24/07, Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> >I see that qgit got its own icon, but I think it's confusing to reuse an
> >icon used by another project.  I'm attaching what I think would be a
> >better qgit icon.  I tried to use the same gamma but represent the
> >unique qgit look.
> >
> >I understand that only one icon can be used, and it should better be a
> >16x16 icon to avoid scaling.
> >
> >I'm copying the git list in case somebody could improve the icon or
> >suggest something better.
>
> In particular your icon does not show well in ALT+TAB app chooser,
> while the Bernhard's one does.

I don't really care which icon, it just should have an icon because I
look always at the icon in the task switcher so I can better
distinguish qgit from other applications.

Regards,
Bernhard

* Re: Better icon for qgit
@ 2007-02-27  3:51     ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2007-02-27  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernhard Walle; +Cc: Marco Costalba, git

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 10:43 +0100, Bernhard Walle wrote:

> > In particular your icon does not show well in ALT+TAB app chooser,
> > while the Bernhard's one does.

That's probably because I was using circles that don't scale well.  I
could try a bigger icon, but I don't know which size to use to make sure
it looks good at all sizes.

> I don't really care which icon, it just should have an icon because I
> look always at the icon in the task switcher so I can better
> distinguish qgit from other applications.

Then please set up your window manager or design an icon.  Stealing some
other project's icon is not nice.

Marco, I really appreciate that you have reverted that patch.

Pavel Roskin

* Re: Better icon for qgit
@ 2007-02-27  6:57   ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2007-02-27  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Costalba; +Cc: git, Bernhard Walle

On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 07:47 +0100, Marco Costalba wrote:
>   it's ok for me to use your icon, I don't know if a 16x16 it's
> enough, there is the window title but also application tool bar and
> ALT+TAB application chooser where icons are bigger.
>
> In particular your icon does not show well in ALT+TAB app chooser,
> while the Bernhard's one does.

OK, I made another icon of the size 48x48 and ensured that it scales
well to sizes 32x32, 24x24 and 16x16.  I used borders and gradients so
that the colors of the title bars don't hide one of the stripes.  I
replaced black with cyan-blue, since black draws too much attention from
other bars, and gray would look thicker with gray borders.

I'm attaching the PNG and the XCF (the GIMP format) in case if somebody
wants to make improvements.

I also tried another idea - making the word "qgit" look like a revision
tree.  I don't think the result very good as is, but I'm sending it too
in case somebody can improve it.

Pavel Roskin

[-- Attachment #2: qgit48c.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 1002 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: qgit48c.xcf --]
[-- Type: image/x-xcf, Size: 5758 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: qgit48w.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 1047 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #5: qgit48w.xcf --]
[-- Type: image/x-xcf, Size: 9639 bytes --]

* Re: Better icon for qgit
@ 2007-02-27  9:34       ` Bernhard Walle
From: Bernhard Walle @ 2007-02-27  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Roskin; +Cc: Marco Costalba, git

* Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org> [2007-02-27 04:51]:

> Then please set up your window manager or design an icon.  Stealing some
> other project's icon is not nice.

I considered as icon for git in general, not for webgit specifically.

Regards,
Bernhard

* Re: Better icon for qgit
@ 2007-02-27  9:35     ` Bernhard Walle
From: Bernhard Walle @ 2007-02-27  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Roskin; +Cc: Marco Costalba, git

* Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org> [2007-02-27 07:57]:
> On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 07:47 +0100, Marco Costalba wrote:
> >   it's ok for me to use your icon, I don't know if a 16x16 it's
> > enough, there is the window title but also application tool bar and
> > ALT+TAB application chooser where icons are bigger.
> >
> > In particular your icon does not show well in ALT+TAB app chooser,
> > while the Bernhard's one does.
>
> OK, I made another icon of the size 48x48 and ensured that it scales
> well to sizes 32x32, 24x24 and 16x16.  I used borders and gradients so
> that the colors of the title bars don't hide one of the stripes.  I
> replaced black with cyan-blue, since black draws too much attention from
> other bars, and gray would look thicker with gray borders.

I like the first icon. :)

Regards,
Bernhard

* Re: Better icon for qgit
@ 2007-02-28  0:18       ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2007-02-28  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernhard Walle; +Cc: Marco Costalba, git

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 10:35 +0100, Bernhard Walle wrote:
> * Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org> [2007-02-27 07:57]:
> > On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 07:47 +0100, Marco Costalba wrote:
> > >   it's ok for me to use your icon, I don't know if a 16x16 it's
> > > enough, there is the window title but also application tool bar and
> > > ALT+TAB application chooser where icons are bigger.
> > >
> > > In particular your icon does not show well in ALT+TAB app chooser,
> > > while the Bernhard's one does.
> >
> > OK, I made another icon of the size 48x48 and ensured that it scales
> > well to sizes 32x32, 24x24 and 16x16.  I used borders and gradients so
> > that the colors of the title bars don't hide one of the stripes.  I
> > replaced black with cyan-blue, since black draws too much attention from
> > other bars, and gray would look thicker with gray borders.
>
> I like the first icon. :)

Thanks.  So I'm ditching the "text" edition.  Here's the next iteration:

* The gradients are improved to be noticeable along the lines, not just
in the squares.
* Saturation is reduced to make the icon easier on the eye.
* The actual qgit colors are used (black, red, green).  Blue is avoided
as it may be hard to distinguish on the title bar.
* The top and left borders are made white to improve 3D effect and
counteract apparent widening of the black line on white background.

Pavel Roskin

[-- Attachment #2: qgit48d.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 1074 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: qgit48d.xcf --]
[-- Type: image/x-xcf, Size: 11664 bytes --]

* Re: Better icon for qgit
@ 2007-02-28  7:26         ` Marco Costalba
From: Marco Costalba @ 2007-02-28  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Roskin; +Cc: Bernhard Walle, git

On 2/28/07, Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org> wrote:

> * The gradients are improved to be noticeable along the lines, not just
> in the squares.
> * Saturation is reduced to make the icon easier on the eye.
> * The actual qgit colors are used (black, red, green).  Blue is avoided
> as it may be hard to distinguish on the title bar.
> * The top and left borders are made white to improve 3D effect and
> counteract apparent widening of the black line on white background.

Thanks Pavel,

  I have applied and pushed your very nice icon to both qgit and qgit4

Marco