* [Bluez-devel] Kernel Module
       [not found] <D299A7A94D00F12.54EFE86A2B@broadview.com>
@ 2007-02-25 11:14 ` Yunus Özen
From: Yunus Özen @ 2007-02-25 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Hi,

I want to write a kernel module and use some bluez commands those
included in the kernel.

I will use it some experimental cases.

Is it possible to use bluez commands in kernel modules? If so, how can I
do it?

Regards,
Yunus.

* Re: [Bluez-devel] Kernel Module
@ 2007-02-25 23:49   ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2007-02-25 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Hi Yunus,

> I want to write a kernel module and use some bluez commands those
> included in the kernel.
>
> I will use it some experimental cases.
>
> Is it possible to use bluez commands in kernel modules? If so, how can I
> do it?

of course it is possible, but for what strange reason you might wanna
find yourself writing a kernel module. Explain what you are planning to
do and I might can give you a more detailed answer. I am not psychic.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-devel] Kernel Module
@ 2007-02-26  4:46     ` Yunus Özen
From: Yunus Özen @ 2007-02-26  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'BlueZ development'

Hi,

>> I want to write a kernel module and use some bluez commands those
>> included in the kernel.
>>
>> I will use it some experimental cases.
>>
>> Is it possible to use bluez commands in kernel modules? If so, how can I
>> do it?

>of course it is possible, but for what strange reason you might wanna
>find yourself writing a kernel module. Explain what you are planning to
>do and I might can give you a more detailed answer. I am not psychic.

There is a Project called ULLA (http://ulla.sourceforge.net) and I am
writing a simple bluetooth LLA fot it. ULLA collects link layer information
(802.11x, bluetooth, zigbee etc.) to application layer programmes.

I will take Bd Addrs and user friendly names fo nearby devices and give it
to ULLA Core.

My program will be a kernel module, because I will collect link layer
information. ULLA calls these link layer information collecting modules to
Link Provider (LP).

Thanks,

@ 2007-02-26  9:35       ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2007-02-26  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Hi Yunus,

> >> I want to write a kernel module and use some bluez commands those
> >> included in the kernel.
> >>
> >> I will use it some experimental cases.
> >>
> >> Is it possible to use bluez commands in kernel modules? If so, how can I
> >> do it?
>
> >of course it is possible, but for what strange reason you might wanna
> >find yourself writing a kernel module. Explain what you are planning to
> >do and I might can give you a more detailed answer. I am not psychic.
>
> There is a Project called ULLA (http://ulla.sourceforge.net) and I am
> writing a simple bluetooth LLA fot it. ULLA collects link layer information
> (802.11x, bluetooth, zigbee etc.) to application layer programmes.
>
> I will take Bd Addrs and user friendly names fo nearby devices and give it
> to ULLA Core.
>
> My program will be a kernel module, because I will collect link layer
> information. ULLA calls these link layer information collecting modules to
> Link Provider (LP).

the architecture with the kernel module is totally crap. The data
collection has to be done in userspace and all these information are
provided over D-Bus.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-devel] Kernel Module
@ 2007-02-26 11:03         ` Yunus Özen
From: Yunus Özen @ 2007-02-26 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'BlueZ development'

Hi Marcel,

>> >of course it is possible, but for what strange reason you might wanna
>> >find yourself writing a kernel module. Explain what you are planning to
>> >do and I might can give you a more detailed answer. I am not psychic.
>>
>> There is a Project called ULLA (http://ulla.sourceforge.net) and I am
>> writing a simple bluetooth LLA fot it. ULLA collects link layer
information
>> (802.11x, bluetooth, zigbee etc.) to application layer programmes.
>>
>> I will take Bd Addrs and user friendly names fo nearby devices and give
it
>> to ULLA Core.
>>
>> My program will be a kernel module, because I will collect link layer
>> information. ULLA calls these link layer information collecting modules
>> Link Provider (LP).

>the architecture with the kernel module is totally crap. The data
>collection has to be done in userspace and all these information are
>provided over D-Bus.

We talked about this kernel-module problem with you a couple of weeks ago in
irc #bluez channel. You advice me to work in userspace everytime. My work
contains only some querying functuonality, for example bd address, user
friendly name etc. I do not want the whole bluez functuonality in my
project. I have to do in in kernel-space.

Thanks for helping.

@ 2007-02-26 11:44           ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2007-02-26 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ development

Hi Yunus,

> >> There is a Project called ULLA (http://ulla.sourceforge.net) and I am
> >> writing a simple bluetooth LLA fot it. ULLA collects link layer
> information
> >> (802.11x, bluetooth, zigbee etc.) to application layer programmes.
> >>
> >> I will take Bd Addrs and user friendly names fo nearby devices and give
> it
> >> to ULLA Core.
> >>
> >> My program will be a kernel module, because I will collect link layer
> >> information. ULLA calls these link layer information collecting modules
> >> Link Provider (LP).
>
> >the architecture with the kernel module is totally crap. The data
> >collection has to be done in userspace and all these information are
> >provided over D-Bus.
>
> We talked about this kernel-module problem with you a couple of weeks ago in
> irc #bluez channel. You advice me to work in userspace everytime. My work
> contains only some querying functuonality, for example bd address, user
> friendly name etc. I do not want the whole bluez functuonality in my
> project. I have to do in in kernel-space.

and why does nobody believe me that it is a bad idea to have such stuff
inside the kernel. You have to have the BlueZ userspace part anyway,
because otherwise the adapter is not useful. However feel free to change
the kernel and invent all things again. The D-Bus API actually provides
a prefect interface for your needs. You might wanna run the example
bluetooth-proximity tool to see what I mean. It is only an UI using
D-Bus only.

Regards

Marcel