* Re: [Xenomai-help] Problem of freeze
       [not found] <1506907350.6457971241524133549.JavaMail.root@domain.hid>
@ 2009-05-05 12:04 ` btirefort
From: btirefort @ 2009-05-05 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix, xenomai-help

Hello

Sorry for the delay
I found my problem of freeze, I tell it for information.

My X system (using gnome) is now stable.
The solution : I have desintalled gnome-power-manager

very thanks for your help

Benoit

From: John Yamokoski @ 2009-05-07 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai-help

Greetings,

I have the same freezing problem after compiling/installing/running an
adeos patched kernel on an Ubuntu system. Unfortunately to uninstall
gnome-power-manager I must also uninstall 'ubuntu-desktop'.. which I
am not sure I want to do.

Any ideas? Do I need to switch to a different window manager? Is there
some setting with gnome-power-manager I can set that will avoid the
freezing?

I will also query the ubuntu community. If I hear anything back I will
post it here.

J.D.

@ 2009-05-07 14:48     ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2009-05-07 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Yamokoski; +Cc: xenomai-help

John Yamokoski wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have the same freezing problem after compiling/installing/running an
> adeos patched kernel on an Ubuntu system. Unfortunately to uninstall
> gnome-power-manager I must also uninstall 'ubuntu-desktop'.. which I
> am not sure I want to do.
>
> Any ideas? Do I need to switch to a different window manager? Is there
> some setting with gnome-power-manager I can set that will avoid the
> freezing?
>
> I will also query the ubuntu community. If I hear anything back I will
> post it here.

Ok people. Please all stop thinking that you have the same problem as
Benoit. There are many ways to get freezes, it could be configuration
problems, irq sharing problems, adeos patch problems, drivers problems,
problems in real-time applications (such as infinite loop in a real-time
thread). So, stop jumping quickly to conclusions, do what we are asking
you, and provide feedback on your experiences.

--
                                                 Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Problem of freeze
@ 2009-05-07 13:14               ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2009-05-07 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum; +Cc: xenomai-help, Jan Kiszka

Philippe Gerum wrote:

>> I will.

>> It has happened once during a test (latency I think), but I've also been
>> (next times, after reboot) able to run both of them without any issue.
>>
>> Anyway, as soon as I reboot I'll run all the tests again.
>>
>>> Also, Benoit's problem was not in fact due to xenomai but to gnome power
>>> management.
>> I see... Well, of course, all is possible... I'm using
>> gnome-power-manager too, but while running plain Ubuntu kernel no freeze
>> happens, but... I mean... Who knows?!?!
>
> The point is not about blaming Gnome PM, but we do know for sure that
> power management related drivers may have adverse effects on a
> Xenomai-patched kernel - see the troubleshooting guide. If your kernel
> enable those, and Gnome PM triggers actions on those such as CPU freq
> governors, bad things may happen.
>
> You .config will confirm or not whether this assumption is correct.

The problem could also be that gnome-power-management is trying to use
services from the kernel which are not available because power
management is disabled in kernel configuration.

--
                                                 Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Problem of freeze
@ 2009-05-07 13:03             ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2009-05-07 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raistlin; +Cc: xenomai-help, Jan Kiszka

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 14:47 +0200, Raistlin wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 14:37 +0200, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> > > As usual, please send us /proc/interrupts, /proc/xenomai/irq, your
> > > .config, and the version of the I-pipe patch you use.
> > >
> I will.
>
> > > Run the latency and switchtest tests, and tell us if you have the freeze
> > > with them too.
> >
> It has happened once during a test (latency I think), but I've also been
> (next times, after reboot) able to run both of them without any issue.
>
> Anyway, as soon as I reboot I'll run all the tests again.
>
> > Also, Benoit's problem was not in fact due to xenomai but to gnome power
> > management.
> I see... Well, of course, all is possible... I'm using
> gnome-power-manager too, but while running plain Ubuntu kernel no freeze
> happens, but... I mean... Who knows?!?!

The point is not about blaming Gnome PM, but we do know for sure that
power management related drivers may have adverse effects on a
Xenomai-patched kernel - see the troubleshooting guide. If your kernel
enable those, and Gnome PM triggers actions on those such as CPU freq
governors, bad things may happen.

You .config will confirm or not whether this assumption is correct.

> > This shows that the notion of "freeze" is very vague, and
> > without further information, we can not tell you more.
> I know, and I'm sorry of being able to be more specific since now. :-(
> I'll test it deeper and let you know in detail.
>
> For now, thanks a lot for your support! :-)
>
> Regards,
> Dario

Philippe.

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Problem of freeze
@ 2009-05-07 12:47           ` Raistlin
From: Raistlin @ 2009-05-07 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai-help, Jan Kiszka

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 14:37 +0200, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> > As usual, please send us /proc/interrupts, /proc/xenomai/irq, your
> > .config, and the version of the I-pipe patch you use.

I will.

> > Run the latency and switchtest tests, and tell us if you have the freeze
> > with them too.

It has happened once during a test (latency I think), but I've also been
(next times, after reboot) able to run both of them without any issue.

Anyway, as soon as I reboot I'll run all the tests again.

> Also, Benoit's problem was not in fact due to xenomai but to gnome power
> management.
I see... Well, of course, all is possible... I'm using
gnome-power-manager too, but while running plain Ubuntu kernel no freeze
happens, but... I mean... Who knows?!?!

> This shows that the notion of "freeze" is very vague, and
> without further information, we can not tell you more.
I know, and I'm sorry of being able to be more specific since now. :-(
I'll test it deeper and let you know in detail.

For now, thanks a lot for your support! :-)

Regards,
Dario

Dario Faggioli, ReTiS Lab, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa  (Italy)

http://blog.linux.it/raistlin / raistlin@domain.hid /
dario.faggioli@domain.hid

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Problem of freeze
@ 2009-05-07 12:37         ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2009-05-07 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raistlin; +Cc: xenomai-help, Jan Kiszka

Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Raistlin wrote:

>> Just to make you know that I'm (still) experimenting exactly the same
>> random freeze on Ubuntu Jaunty, with 2.6.28.9 kernel,
>> adeos-ipipe-2.6.28.9... patch and xenomai-git (but I think that does not
>> matter, since it seems a kernel issue!!)
>>
>>> I see that you are using X-window, so I guess you do not see the
>>> console. Unfortunately, if your hang is due to a kernel oops we do not
>>> have a clue. So, you should try and get the console output on another
>>> machine, using preferably a serial cable, or if not possible the netconsole.
>> I'll try to setup a netconsole environment as soon possible and let you
>> know what I can see in the kernel logs.
>
> As usual, please send us /proc/interrupts, /proc/xenomai/irq, your
> .config, and the version of the I-pipe patch you use.
>
> Run the latency and switchtest tests, and tell us if you have the freeze
> with them too.

Also, Benoit's problem was not in fact due to xenomai but to gnome power
management. This shows that the notion of "freeze" is very vague, and

@ 2009-05-07 12:32       ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2009-05-07 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raistlin; +Cc: xenomai-help, Jan Kiszka

@ 2009-05-07 11:23     ` Raistlin
From: Raistlin @ 2009-05-07 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai-help, Jan Kiszka

@ 2009-04-23 13:30   ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2009-04-23 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: btirefort; +Cc: xenomai-help, Jan Kiszka

       [not found] <1639429240.4084331240493011744.JavaMail.root@domain.hid>
@ 2009-04-23 13:26 ` btirefort
From: btirefort @ 2009-04-23 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix, Jan Kiszka; +Cc: xenomai-help

@ 2009-04-23  8:28   ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2009-04-23  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: btirefort; +Cc: xenomai-help

@ 2009-04-23  7:29   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2009-04-23  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: btirefort; +Cc: xenomai-help

btirefort@domain.hid wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'am rookie in xenomai and i have a problem.
>
> Here my configuration :
>
> Linux base : CentOS v5.3 (with gnome)
> kernel : linux-2.6.28.7
> xenomai : 2.4.7
> processor cpu familly  : 6
>               type : 14 (Intel Core Duo T2500 2Ghz)
> memory : 1 GB
> HDD : SCSI with Adaptec AIC-7892B card
>
> I have installed xenomai with no problem.
> All options of ACPI, APM and CPU frequency scaling are disabled.
>
> All seems to be good, but i have a problem :
>
> Sometimes the system freeze, and i must reset the computer.
> The system freeze sometimes during the connection to gnome (when gnome are enabling my desktop).
> The system freeze also, when i am leaving the scrennsaver after a long period without using (after nigth for example).
> The system freeze all the time when I try to launch netbeans program.
>
> I don't understand why.
>
> Can you help me please ?

Please try adeos-ipipe-2.6.28.9-x86-2.2-07.patch from the Xenomai git
repository, it will probably fix you issue (in any case, feedback would
be very welcome!).

Jan

* [Xenomai-help] Problem of freeze
       [not found] <1061790776.3997201240471367689.JavaMail.root@domain.hid>