* SFU client cannot connect to Linux NFS server on a network without reverse DNS
@ 2007-04-11  9:30 Zhang Weiwu
From: Zhang Weiwu @ 2007-04-11  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nfs

I don't know if I should file a bug for Linux's NFS because basically
(as my understanding) this is a bug of Microsoft's SFU NFS client.
However we all know complain to Microsoft means nothing, thus the email
come to nfs list which is the only list might care about Microsoft's
product's users.

I have Linux NFS server set up on FreeBSD for years and I also tried to
deploy Windows SFU NFS client to access the NFS server, which is okay.
(only anonymous export and anonymous mount)

When we (for some special reason) need to move the NFS service to Linux
we got a problem, SFU NFS client complains "Network Path not Found".

MS kb article suggest this is because my network lack reverse DNS, or
better say, because NFS Client is designed to interconnet UNIX but not
Linux NFS server.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926095

My /etc/export is:

/var/export    0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0(ro,insecure,no_subtree_check,sync)

My situation is:

     I. It's impossible to set up reverse DNS here because the campus
        has been running for years without it and the network
        administrator will not make any change because of my office.
    II. Linux   client to Linux   NFS server works fine without reverse
        DNS, Linux   client to FreeBSD NFS server works fine without
        reverse DNS, Windows client to FreeBSD NFS server works fine
        without reverse DNS, Windows client to Linux NFS server doesn't
        work without reverse DNS. Why?

I hope there is an option in Linux NFS server that can turn off reverse
DNS for Windows NFS Client though I could not find such an option after
read a lot of related documents. I also tried to adjust SFU NFS client
but there are two few options there for me to tweak.

If currently Linux NFS server cannot work with SFU on a etwork without
reverse DNS, can we file a feature request and hope next version this
will be okay?

P.S. switching NFS client is difficult to me because all other NFS
client than Microsoft's product are for a fee. If this cannot be made
working, the only option for us is to switch to samba which means a lot
of changes in the office.

--
Zhang Weiwu
Real Softservice

* [solved] Re: SFU client cannot connect to Linux NFS server on a network without reverse DNS
@ 2007-04-11 14:49 ` Zhang Weiwu
From: Zhang Weiwu @ 2007-04-11 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nfs

In this afternoon after fought this problem for two days the problem is
suddenly gone, now SFU can mount NFS exports from Linux. A bit slow some
times but it works. Don't know why.

--
Zhang Weiwu
Real Softservice