* testpmd logging
@ 2022-11-08 13:02 Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2022-11-08 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aman Singh, Yuying Zhang; +Cc: david.marchand, dev

Hello,

I see testpmd is doing log with EAL entity. Example:
	RTE_LOG(ERR, EAL, "The device: %s has been added!\n"
We could also discuss the log level.

Please can we work on replacing these logs?
We need to choose how to log (printf or registered log entity)
and be consistent.
What do you think?

* RE: testpmd logging
@ 2022-11-08 14:37 ` Honnappa Nagarahalli
From: Honnappa Nagarahalli @ 2022-11-08 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas, Aman Singh, Yuying Zhang
  Cc: david.marchand, dev, Lijuan Tu, Owen Hilyard, Juraj Linkeš, nd, nd

+ Lijuan, Owen, Juraj

DTS uses some of the logs from testpmd to validate the results. I am not sure what all logs are used.

> We need to choose how to log (printf or registered log entity) and be
> consistent.
> What do you think?

* Re: testpmd logging
@ 2022-11-08 16:24   ` Owen Hilyard
From: Owen Hilyard @ 2022-11-08 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Honnappa Nagarahalli
  Cc: thomas, Aman Singh, Yuying Zhang, david.marchand, dev, Lijuan Tu,
	Juraj Linkeš,
	nd

On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 9:37 AM Honnappa Nagarahalli <
Honnappa.Nagarahalli@arm.com> wrote:

> + Lijuan, Owen, Juraj

If we want to revisit logging in testpmd, even though I know I'm invoking a
case of second system syndrome here, I would love to see some form of
structured logging output. Even just writing out records to a CSV file with
proper escaping would work great, or doing a json object per log record as
a backup. JSON might be easier since libjansson is already in DPDK, and we
could disable the json logging flag if libjansson was not present at
compile time.

> DTS uses some of the logs from testpmd to validate the results. I am not
> sure what all logs are used.

The old version of dts (the one with its own repository) is fairly tightly
bound to testpmd's logging.

> We need to choose how to log (printf or registered log entity) and be
> > consistent.
> > What do you think?

Registered log entries are much better in my opinion since they provide a
more machine-friendly format and DTS has to parse testpmd output.

* Re: testpmd logging
@ 2022-11-08 16:40     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-11-08 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Owen Hilyard
  Cc: Honnappa Nagarahalli, thomas, Aman Singh, Yuying Zhang,
	david.marchand, dev, Lijuan Tu, Juraj Linkeš,
	nd

On Tue, 8 Nov 2022 11:24:53 -0500
Owen Hilyard <ohilyard@iol.unh.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 9:37 AM Honnappa Nagarahalli <
> Honnappa.Nagarahalli@arm.com> wrote:
>
> > + Lijuan, Owen, Juraj

My thoughts.
  1. testpmd should use its own log level, not EAL
  2. testpmd could easily have an option "--json" to format output in JSON
  3. testpmd is a mess some logs use RTE_LOG() some go to stdout, some to stderr.

* RE: testpmd logging
@ 2022-11-11  8:26       ` Zhang, Yuying
From: Zhang, Yuying @ 2022-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger, Owen Hilyard
  Cc: Honnappa Nagarahalli, thomas, Singh, Aman Deep, david.marchand,
	dev, Tu, Lijuan, Juraj Linkeš,
	nd

The same as Hemminger. testpmd should refine log functions then.