* Move linux-omap list over to vger?
@ 2007-11-15  2:15 Tony Lindgren
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2007-11-15  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap-open-source

Hi all,

There's been some discussion going on at LKML on how some people don't
like subscriber only lists as they get bounces for their comments and
some bug reports can get lost. As a result, Dave Miller has been creating
some new lists on vger.kernel.org. [1][2]

I could see us benefiting from swithing over to use
linux-omap@vger.kernel.org as we're starting to get more and more
patches and comments via LKML. Current subscriber only policy will
make people not CC our list, which makes it harder to keep track
of the patches.

Spam should not be a problem on vger like LKML already shows, and
the infrastructure is already there so it would be an easy switchover.

Are people OK with this move in general?

If everybody is OK with this move, I'll email Dave Miller and ask him
to set up the linux-omap@vger.kernel.org for us.

Regards,

Tony

PS The current setup has served us well, so big thanks to TI for
hosting it!

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/11/13/531
[2] http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/11/14/89

* Re: Move linux-omap list over to vger?
@ 2007-11-15  6:32 ` Trilok Soni
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Trilok Soni @ 2007-11-15  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren; +Cc: linux-omap-open-source

Hi Tony,

On Nov 15, 2007 7:45 AM, Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There's been some discussion going on at LKML on how some people don't
> like subscriber only lists as they get bounces for their comments and
> some bug reports can get lost. As a result, Dave Miller has been creating
> some new lists on vger.kernel.org. [1][2]
>
> I could see us benefiting from swithing over to use
> linux-omap@vger.kernel.org as we're starting to get more and more
> patches and comments via LKML. Current subscriber only policy will
> make people not CC our list, which makes it harder to keep track
> of the patches.
>
> Spam should not be a problem on vger like LKML already shows, and
> the infrastructure is already there so it would be an easy switchover.
>
> Are people OK with this move in general?

I am OK for this move. More code, patch review comments and visibility of omap
list will be good for OMAP series in general.

> PS The current setup has served us well, so big thanks to TI for
> hosting it!

Thanks to Steve Johnson and others at TI.

--
--Trilok Soni

* Re: Move linux-omap list over to vger?
@ 2007-11-15 13:50 ` Felipe Balbi
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2007-11-15 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren; +Cc: linux-omap-open-source

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:15:56 -0800, Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There's been some discussion going on at LKML on how some people don't
> like subscriber only lists as they get bounces for their comments and
> some bug reports can get lost. As a result, Dave Miller has been creating
> some new lists on vger.kernel.org. [1][2]
>
> I could see us benefiting from swithing over to use
> linux-omap@vger.kernel.org as we're starting to get more and more
> patches and comments via LKML. Current subscriber only policy will
> make people not CC our list, which makes it harder to keep track
> of the patches.
>
> Spam should not be a problem on vger like LKML already shows, and
> the infrastructure is already there so it would be an easy switchover.
>
> Are people OK with this move in general?
>
> If everybody is OK with this move, I'll email Dave Miller and ask him
> to set up the linux-omap@vger.kernel.org for us.

I'd like it... Moving to vger would also make it easier to setup my messy
procmail rules :-p

> Regards,
>
> Tony
>
> PS The current setup has served us well, so big thanks to TI for
> hosting it!
>
> [1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/11/13/531
> [2] http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/11/14/89
Best Regards,

Felipe Balbi
http://felipebalbi.com
me@felipebalbi.com

* Re: Move linux-omap list over to vger?
@ 2007-11-15 17:10 ` Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2007-11-15 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren; +Cc: linux-omap-open-source

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 18:15 -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:

> Are people OK with this move in general?

Sounds good to me.

Kevin

* Re: Move linux-omap list over to vger?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-11-15 21:16 ` Paul Walmsley
From: Paul Walmsley @ 2007-11-15 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren; +Cc: linux-omap-open-source

Yes, I'm in favor of it also.

- Paul

* RE: Move linux-omap list over to vger?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-11-16 12:34 ` Syed Mohammed, Khasim
From: Syed Mohammed, Khasim @ 2007-11-16 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren, linux-omap-open-source

Hi Tony,

We at TI support this move, personally I feel this will bring in lot of
technical value add / contributions to OMAP software.

However, before moving there were few concerns that we would like to
discuss upon:

1. How to handle the mail archives that we maintain today?
 - Should we copy them to major domo?
 - Maintain them on current servers?
 - How will a new subscriber refer to an old discussion captured on
archive?

2. How to handle the "who" query (to get the subscribers list) from
majordomo?
 - Disable "who" query for all (including subscribed members).
 - Enable "who" query for all - Not recommended.
 - Send a mail request to the maintainer "to send the subscriber's list"
later maintainer can check the genuineness of the request and provide
the list.

3. By when do we want to make this move?
 - Can we wait for couple of weeks?
 - We can think of any other issues that we might have to encounter for
OMAP?

Thank you all for the support in building this strong community for
OMAP.

Regards,
Khasim

@ 2007-11-16 17:40   ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2007-11-16 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syed Mohammed, Khasim; +Cc: linux-omap-open-source

Hi,

* Syed Mohammed, Khasim <khasim@ti.com> [071116 04:35]:
> Hi Tony,
>
> We at TI support this move, personally I feel this will bring in lot of
> technical value add / contributions to OMAP software.

OK sounds like everybody thinks we'll benefit from this move.

> However, before moving there were few concerns that we would like to
> discuss upon:
>
> 1. How to handle the mail archives that we maintain today?
>  - Should we copy them to major domo?
>  - Maintain them on current servers?
>  - How will a new subscriber refer to an old discussion captured on
> archive?

I can ask if Dave Miller would be willing to import "old" archives,
but that may not work as they are not vger archives. In any case
we should keep the "old" archives at linux.omap.com, and I can
also mirror the .gz file on kernel.org just in case.

Then on linux.omap.com we can have links to "old" archives and "new"
archives.

So in general, I'd assume we'll be referring to linux.omap.com archives
for the "old" discussions.

> 2. How to handle the "who" query (to get the subscribers list) from
> majordomo?
>  - Disable "who" query for all (including subscribed members).
>  - Enable "who" query for all - Not recommended.
>  - Send a mail request to the maintainer "to send the subscriber's list"
> later maintainer can check the genuineness of the request and provide
> the list.

I'd assume "who" is disabled by default on vger because of spammers, and
the subscriber lists are only available to the maintainers.

I'm thinking we'll just ask people to resubscribe to the new list rather
than import the old list.

> 3. By when do we want to make this move?
>  - Can we wait for couple of weeks?
>  - We can think of any other issues that we might have to encounter for
> OMAP?

How about let's plan on starting to use linux-omap@vger.kernel.org list
full time on Dec 1st?

We can set it up immediately and then will have few weeks to move over.

> Thank you all for the support in building this strong community for
> OMAP.

Yeah it's nice to see that we have a pretty decent omap development
community now :)

Tony

* Re: Move linux-omap list over to vger?
@ 2007-11-19 18:00     ` Dirk Behme
From: Dirk Behme @ 2007-11-19 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-omap-open-source

Tony Lindgren wrote:
>>3. By when do we want to make this move?
>> - Can we wait for couple of weeks?
>> - We can think of any other issues that we might have to encounter for
>>OMAP?
>
> How about let's plan on starting to use linux-omap@vger.kernel.org list
> full time on Dec 1st?
>
> We can set it up immediately and then will have few weeks to move over.

It's already there with currently four subscribers:

http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-omap

Now archive yet though. Anything to do to get it?

Anybody with access to the info section there? I would propose:

-- cut --
This is the "new" mailing list for Linux on ARM based TI OMAP SoCs.
For archive of "old" list see

This list is medium traffic, ~10 mails per day, sometimes patches and
patch series. Send OMAP related infos, bugs or patches to this list,
at least in CC if they affect other subsystems. See

http://source.mvista.com/git/?p=linux-omap-2.6.git;a=summary

for OMAP git kernel discussed on this list.
-- cut --

And then, we should close subscription system to this list at Dec 1st
and adapt text at

accordingly, keeping the archive.

>>Thank you all for the support in building this strong community for
>>OMAP.
>
> Yeah it's nice to see that we have a pretty decent omap development
> community now :)

Yes! Many thanks to everybody!

Dirk

* Re: Move linux-omap list over to vger?
@ 2007-11-19 18:20       ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2007-11-19 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Behme; +Cc: linux-omap-open-source

Hi,

* Dirk Behme <dirk.behme@googlemail.com> [071119 10:04]:
> Tony Lindgren wrote:
>>> 3. By when do we want to make this move? - Can we wait for couple of
>>> weeks? - We can think of any other issues that we might have to encounter
>>> for
>>> OMAP?
>> How about let's plan on starting to use linux-omap@vger.kernel.org list
>> full time on Dec 1st?
>> We can set it up immediately and then will have few weeks to move over.
>
> It's already there with currently four subscribers:
>
> http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-omap
>
> Now archive yet though. Anything to do to get it?

I just emailed MARC about starting to archive it. I also copied the
old archives as of today to kernel.org just in case to make sure
we have them backed up. The files are available at [1] in case
anybody needs them.

> Anybody with access to the info section there? I would propose:
>
> -- cut --
> This is the "new" mailing list for Linux on ARM based TI OMAP SoCs. For
> archive of "old" list see

> This list is medium traffic, ~10 mails per day, sometimes patches and patch
> series. Send OMAP related infos, bugs or patches to this list, at least in
> CC if they affect other subsystems. See
>
> http://source.mvista.com/git/?p=linux-omap-2.6.git;a=summary
>
> for OMAP git kernel discussed on this list.
> -- cut --
>
> And then, we should close subscription system to this list at Dec 1st and
> adapt text at

> accordingly, keeping the archive.

Sounds good to me. Maybe let's wait until we have MARC archiving it
before sending it to webmaster@vger?

Tony

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tmlind/linux-omap-opensource/

* Re: Move linux-omap list over to vger?
@ 2007-11-19 18:21       ` Felipe Balbi
From: Felipe Balbi @ 2007-11-19 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Behme; +Cc: linux-omap-open-source

Hi,

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:00:20 +0100, Dirk Behme <dirk.behme@googlemail.com>
wrote:

<snip>

> It's already there with currently four subscribers:
>
> http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-omap

Should we start using vger list also? maybe Cc'ing in all mails?
Could linux-omap-open-source@linux.omap.com bounce mails to
linux-omap@vger.kernel.org?

> Now archive yet though. Anything to do to get it?
>
> Anybody with access to the info section there? I would propose:
>
> -- cut --
> This is the "new" mailing list for Linux on ARM based TI OMAP SoCs.
> For archive of "old" list see

> This list is medium traffic, ~10 mails per day, sometimes patches and
> patch series. Send OMAP related infos, bugs or patches to this list,
> at least in CC if they affect other subsystems. See
>
> http://source.mvista.com/git/?p=linux-omap-2.6.git;a=summary
>
> for OMAP git kernel discussed on this list.
> -- cut --
>
> And then, we should close subscription system to this list at Dec 1st
> and adapt text at

> accordingly, keeping the archive.
>
>>>Thank you all for the support in building this strong community for
>>>OMAP.
>>
>> Yeah it's nice to see that we have a pretty decent omap development
>> community now :)
>
> Yes! Many thanks to everybody!
>
> Dirk

Best Regards,

Felipe Balbi
http://felipebalbi.com
me@felipebalbi.com

* Re: Move linux-omap list over to vger?
@ 2007-11-19 18:24         ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2007-11-19 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Balbi; +Cc: linux-omap, linux-omap-open-source

* Felipe Balbi <me@felipebalbi.com> [071119 10:22]:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:00:20 +0100, Dirk Behme <dirk.behme@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > It's already there with currently four subscribers:
> >
> > http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-omap
>
> Should we start using vger list also? maybe Cc'ing in all mails?
> Could linux-omap-open-source@linux.omap.com bounce mails to
> linux-omap@vger.kernel.org?

Well I sent a welcome message to linux-omap@vger, so it is functional.
We might as well start to CC in all emails. (Added to CC on this
message :)

Tony

* Re: Move linux-omap list over to vger?
@ 2007-11-21  1:51           ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2007-11-21  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Balbi; +Cc: linux-omap, linux-omap-open-source

* Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> [071119 10:28]:
> * Felipe Balbi <me@felipebalbi.com> [071119 10:22]:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:00:20 +0100, Dirk Behme <dirk.behme@googlemail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > It's already there with currently four subscribers:
> > >
> > > http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-omap
> >
> > Should we start using vger list also? maybe Cc'ing in all mails?
> > Could linux-omap-open-source@linux.omap.com bounce mails to
> > linux-omap@vger.kernel.org?
>
> Well I sent a welcome message to linux-omap@vger, so it is functional.
> We might as well start to CC in all emails. (Added to CC on this
> message :)

BTW, everybody let's use CC instead of bouncing messages to the
linux-omap@vger list. Also, let's not set up any automated forwarding
to the new list.

This is because vger will reject all messages that already have
Delivered-To in the header and the messages will pile up in Dave
Miller's inbox :)

Tony