* Not able to login as root user with the RFS generated. #kirkstone
@ 2023-01-10  9:37 ` vivsundar
From: vivsundar @ 2023-01-10  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

I am using a imx6 based custom board
Made the build system ready using the following guide: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/IMX_YOCTO_PROJECT_USERS_GUIDE.pdf

After cloning the yocto source, initialized the build with: DISTRO=fsl-imx-fb MACHINE=imx6dlsabresd source imx-setup-release.sh -b build_imx

Then started the build using: bitbake -k core-image-minimal.

The core-image-minimal-xxxx-xxx.tar is generated.  But when the board is booted with this RFS image, it did not accept any password for the root user.

I checked the local.conf. It has:
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES ?= "debug-tweaks"
Yet it did not accept a blank password or any other password.

I had a look at /etc/shadow file.  The root user's password field is empty.
I tried to change the password manually in /etc/shadow file, but it did not work out.

Can any one point out what should i do to fix the login issue.

From: vivsundar @ 2023-01-10  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

I am using a imx6 based custom board
Made the build system ready using the following guide: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/IMX_YOCTO_PROJECT_USERS_GUIDE.pdf

After cloning the yocto source, initialized the build with: DISTRO=fsl-imx-fb MACHINE=imx6dlsabresd source imx-setup-release.sh -b build_imx

Then started the build using: bitbake -k core-image-minimal.

The core-image-minimal-xxxx-xxx.tar is generated.  But when the board is booted with this RFS image, it did not accept any password for the root user.

I checked the local.conf. It has:
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES ?= "debug-tweaks"
Yet it did not accept a blank password or any other password.

I had a look at /etc/shadow file.  The root user's password field is empty.
I tried to change the password manually in /etc/shadow file, but it did not work out.

Added the following line in local.conf
INHERIT += "extrausers"
EXTRA_USERS_PARAMS = "usermod -p '\$6\$rYOC7GCfUdPrKZdt\$GbxrFaYxl0Wdk9ZyuR/HarDrChctvbHQqdmdtGS.dxCq0FUxLVdxgvdBCoofs4NLcc/0GZ3pbMcrNeT3KwCFk/' root;"
I can see that when i add this line the /etc/shadow file is updated with the password hash.  But that too did not work.

Can any one point out what should i do to fix the login issue.

* Re: Not able to login as root user with the RFS generated. #kirkstone
  (?)
@ 2023-01-29 15:37 ` vivsundar
From: vivsundar @ 2023-01-29 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale