* [linux-dvb] mt352 no more working after suspend to disk
@ 2009-02-09 11:33 Nico Sabbi
From: Nico Sabbi @ 2009-02-09 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-dvb

Hi,
if I suspend to disk and next resume I have to manually remove and
reload my mt352 driver, otherwise it complains of a lot of i2c
errors.

My kernel is suse's 2.6.27.

Is this problem fixed in recent kernels or in hg?

Thanks,
	Nico

* Re: [linux-dvb] mt352 no more working after suspend to disk
@ 2009-02-09 22:16 ` hermann pitton
From: hermann pitton @ 2009-02-09 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media; +Cc: linux-dvb

Hi Nico,

Am Montag, den 09.02.2009, 12:33 +0100 schrieb Nico Sabbi:
> Hi,
> if I suspend to disk and next resume I have to manually remove and
> reload my mt352 driver, otherwise it complains of a lot of i2c
> errors.
>
> My kernel is suse's 2.6.27.
>
> Is this problem fixed in recent kernels or in hg?
>
> Thanks,
> 	Nico

don't know on what driver you report it, but since I know you also have
saa7134 driver devices, nobody claimed so far that dvb is suspend/resume
safe.

I recently reported that people have to stay aware after resume, that
even without using any dvb app actually during suspend, analog needs to
be re-initialized first after that to get the tda10046 in a proper state
for DVB-T again, at least on hybrid devices. Unshared DVB-S tuners and
demods do stand this already. (medion 8800quad, CTX948, Asus 3in1)

You can suspend to RAM on analog for example with a running tvtime and
resume, but dma sound on saa7134-alsa is also not handled yet. Analog
sound works.

That is the status as far I have it.

Cheers,
Hermann

* Re: [linux-dvb] mt352 no more working after suspend to disk
@ 2009-02-10 12:39   ` Alex Betis
From: Alex Betis @ 2009-02-10 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media; +Cc: linux-dvb

I've tried to configure my system for suspends and here are my conclusions,
maybe it will be helpful:

Make sure no applications are using drivers that generally make problems
after suspend, that means you have to stop/kill them before suspending. I
use pm-utils script to stop application before suspend and start
applications after that.
Make sure you reload the drivers after resume. pm-utils has a feature to
unload modules before suspend and reload them after resume automatically,
check the SUSPEND_MODULES configuration. That method works fine for my DVB-S
drivers, but don't work for my WiFi card, so I had to reload the driver
after resume in my script.

Hope it helps.

@ 2009-02-10 14:07     ` Nico Sabbi
From: Nico Sabbi @ 2009-02-10 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 13:39:09 Alex Betis wrote:
> I've tried to configure my system for suspends and here are my
> conclusions, maybe it will be helpful:
>
> Make sure no applications are using drivers that generally make
> problems after suspend, that means you have to stop/kill them
> before suspending. I use pm-utils script to stop application before
> suspend and start applications after that.
> Make sure you reload the drivers after resume. pm-utils has a
> feature to unload modules before suspend and reload them after
> resume automatically, check the SUSPEND_MODULES configuration. That
> method works fine for my DVB-S drivers, but don't work for my WiFi
> card, so I had to reload the driver after resume in my script.
>
> Hope it helps.

it's very useful, thanks a lot

* Re: [linux-dvb] mt352 no more working after suspend to disk
@ 2009-02-10 14:11     ` Nico Sabbi
From: Nico Sabbi @ 2009-02-10 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 13:39:09 Alex Betis wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:16 AM, hermann pitton
<hermann-pitton@arcor.de>wrote:
> > Hi Nico,
> >
> > Am Montag, den 09.02.2009, 12:33 +0100 schrieb Nico Sabbi:
> > > Hi,
> > > if I suspend to disk and next resume I have to manually remove
> > > and reload my mt352 driver, otherwise it complains of a lot of
> > > i2c errors.
> > >
> > > My kernel is suse's 2.6.27.
> > >
> > > Is this problem fixed in recent kernels or in hg?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >       Nico
> >
> > don't know on what driver you report it, but since I know you
> > also have saa7134 driver devices, nobody claimed so far that dvb
> > is suspend/resume safe.
> >
> > I recently reported that people have to stay aware after resume,
> > that even without using any dvb app actually during suspend,
> > analog needs to be re-initialized first after that to get the
> > tda10046 in a proper state for DVB-T again, at least on hybrid
> > devices. Unshared DVB-S tuners and demods do stand this already.
> > (medion 8800quad, CTX948, Asus 3in1)
> >
> > You can suspend to RAM on analog for example with a running
> > tvtime and resume, but dma sound on saa7134-alsa is also not
> > handled yet. Analog sound works.
> >
> > That is the status as far I have it.

Hi Hermann,
the only card that gave me problems so was is my Airstar2 PCI card,
while my Lifeview Trio worked perfectly after resume

* Re: [linux-dvb] mt352 no more working after suspend to disk
@ 2009-02-11  1:49       ` hermann pitton
From: hermann pitton @ 2009-02-11  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nico Sabbi; +Cc: linux-media

Am Dienstag, den 10.02.2009, 15:11 +0100 schrieb Nico Sabbi:
> On Tuesday 10 February 2009 13:39:09 Alex Betis wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:16 AM, hermann pitton
> <hermann-pitton@arcor.de>wrote:
> > > Hi Nico,

> > > don't know on what driver you report it, but since I know you
> > > also have saa7134 driver devices, nobody claimed so far that dvb
> > > is suspend/resume safe.
> > >
> > > I recently reported that people have to stay aware after resume,
> > > that even without using any dvb app actually during suspend,
> > > analog needs to be re-initialized first after that to get the
> > > tda10046 in a proper state for DVB-T again, at least on hybrid
> > > devices. Unshared DVB-S tuners and demods do stand this already.
> > > (medion 8800quad, CTX948, Asus 3in1)
> > >
> > > You can suspend to RAM on analog for example with a running
> > > tvtime and resume, but dma sound on saa7134-alsa is also not
> > > handled yet. Analog sound works.
> > >
> > > That is the status as far I have it.
> > >

> Hi Hermann,
> the only card that gave me problems so was is my Airstar2 PCI card,
> while my Lifeview Trio worked perfectly after resume

Nico, Alex, thanks.

Fine so far then without a running DVB-S app.

That we don't get trouble with those maybe building high end linux media
machines currently, status for me for the other reception methods is as
announced above :)

Cheers,
Hermann