* grub-mkconfig for combined serial and console
@ 2009-04-24  0:09 Daniel Reurich
From: Daniel Reurich @ 2009-04-24  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Hi

I'd like to be able to define terminal --timeout=5 serial console in a
way that grub-mkconfig will automatically set that when updating the
grub.cfg file.

Is there an easy way to do this (and disable the use of gfxterm).

Daniel Reurich

Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd
Ph 021 797 722

* Re: grub-mkconfig for combined serial and console
@ 2009-04-28  6:24 ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2009-04-28  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 12:09 +1200, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to be able to define terminal --timeout=5 serial console in a
> way that grub-mkconfig will automatically set that when updating the
> grub.cfg file.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this (and disable the use of gfxterm).

See 00_header file (it's installed to /usr/local/etc/grub.d by default).
Try variables found in that file, such as GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT,
GRUB_TIMEOUT, GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND and others.

Pavel Roskin

* Re: grub-mkconfig for combined serial and console
@ 2009-04-28  8:21   ` Daniel Reurich
From: Daniel Reurich @ 2009-04-28  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 02:24 -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 12:09 +1200, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'd like to be able to define terminal --timeout=5 serial console in a
> > way that grub-mkconfig will automatically set that when updating the
> > grub.cfg file.
> >
> > Is there an easy way to do this (and disable the use of gfxterm).
>
> See 00_header file (it's installed to /usr/local/etc/grub.d by default).
> Try variables found in that file, such as GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT,
> GRUB_TIMEOUT, GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND and others.

I did before I posted.  grub-mkconfig seems to have been designed around
the (false) assumption that one would only ever want a single terminal
interface rather than the option to choose at boot time, and thus only
allows either console or serial but not both.

I believe GRUB_TIMEOUT has nothing to do with the --timeout option of
the terminal module.

@ 2009-04-28 13:07     ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2009-04-28 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 20:21 +1200, Daniel Reurich wrote:

> I did before I posted.  grub-mkconfig seems to have been designed around
> the (false) assumption that one would only ever want a single terminal
> interface rather than the option to choose at boot time, and thus only
> allows either console or serial but not both.
>
> I believe GRUB_TIMEOUT has nothing to do with the --timeout option of
> the terminal module.

I agree, but GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND may be what you need.  grub-mkconfig is
not the strongest part of GRUB, so if it doesn't meet your needs, please
patch it and share your changes with us if they are suitable for general
use.

Pavel Roskin