* [Xenomai-help] Mem mapped i/o in RTDM driver
@ 2009-04-23 18:55 jeff angielski
From: jeff angielski @ 2009-04-23 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai-help

A basic RTDM question:

In a normal Linux device driver you typically use request_mem_region()
and ioremap_nocache() to setup access to some memory mapped i/o.  Then
you just iowrite()/ioread() to/from that address.

Do I still do this for the XXXXX_nrt operations in my RTDM driver?

How about for the XXXX_rt operations?

I do see that gpioirqbench uses the Linux memory management indirectly
since it relies on the OF mpc52xx_find_and_map("mpc5200-gpio") but
because the driver supports both Linux and RTDM, the requirements are
not clear.

Thanks.

--
Jeff Angielski
The PTR Group

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Mem mapped i/o in RTDM driver
@ 2009-04-30 13:40 ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2009-04-30 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeff angielski; +Cc: Xenomai-help

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 14:55 -0400, jeff angielski wrote:
> A basic RTDM question:
>
> In a normal Linux device driver you typically use request_mem_region()
> and ioremap_nocache() to setup access to some memory mapped i/o.  Then
> you just iowrite()/ioread() to/from that address.
>
> Do I still do this for the XXXXX_nrt operations in my RTDM driver?

Yes.

> How about for the XXXX_rt operations?

ioread/iowrite will be usable the same way, but you will have to
ioremap() in a non RT context first.

> I do see that gpioirqbench uses the Linux memory management indirectly
> since it relies on the OF mpc52xx_find_and_map("mpc5200-gpio") but
> because the driver supports both Linux and RTDM, the requirements are
> not clear.

Care is taken to always refer to MPC52xx_GPIO from a plain Linux
context.

--
Philippe.

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Mem mapped i/o in RTDM driver
@ 2009-04-30 13:48 ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2009-04-30 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeff angielski; +Cc: Xenomai-help

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 14:55 -0400, jeff angielski wrote:
> A basic RTDM question:
>
> In a normal Linux device driver you typically use request_mem_region()
> and ioremap_nocache() to setup access to some memory mapped i/o.  Then
> you just iowrite()/ioread() to/from that address.

Btw, maybe readb/w/l() and writeb/w/l() are more appropriate since
ioread/write is a legacy interface?

--
Philippe.

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Mem mapped i/o in RTDM driver
@ 2009-04-30 13:57   ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2009-04-30 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeff angielski; +Cc: Xenomai-help

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 15:48 +0200, Philippe Gerum wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 14:55 -0400, jeff angielski wrote:
> > A basic RTDM question:
> >
> > In a normal Linux device driver you typically use request_mem_region()
> > and ioremap_nocache() to setup access to some memory mapped i/o.  Then
> > you just iowrite()/ioread() to/from that address.
>
> Btw, maybe readb/w/l() and writeb/w/l() are more appropriate since
> ioread/write is a legacy interface?

i.e. in MMIO mode.

--
Philippe.