* Bug in mlmmj-maintd: notice on non-existing digests
@ 2009-05-15 12:14 Christoph Wilke
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Christoph Wilke @ 2009-05-15 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hej,

after some time-eating server updating I stumbled over the fact, that
mlmmj-maintd doesn't honour the nodigestsub tunable. It tries to
resend digests even if there aren't any at all, omitting a notice
for every existing non-digestive list.

Mlmmj-maintd skips run_digests() only if noarchive is present. Can this
check extended to include nodigestsub as well?

Ciao
Chris

ps. Is it possible that nodigestsub is set and there is a static list
of digesters? If yes, then my easy solution described above will break
this case.

* Re: Bug in mlmmj-maintd: notice on non-existing digests
@ 2009-05-16 16:16 ` Morten K. Poulsen
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Morten K. Poulsen @ 2009-05-16 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hi Chris,

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 14:14 +0200, Christoph Wilke wrote:
> mlmmj-maintd doesn't honour the nodigestsub tunable.

The nodigestsub tunable only disables subscriptions to the digest
version of the list. It does not stop mlmmj from sending digests.

> It tries to resend digests even if there aren't any at all, omitting a
> notice for every existing non-digestive list.

It should not log any notices, just because a given list has no digest
subscribers. Which notice does it show?

Best regards,
Morten

--
Morten K. Poulsen <mopo@fabletech.com>
CTO, FableTech

* Re: Bug in mlmmj-maintd: notice on non-existing digests
@ 2009-05-17 18:45 ` Christoph Wilke
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christoph Wilke @ 2009-05-17 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hej,

On Sat, May 16, 2009 18:16, Morten K. Poulsen wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 14:14 +0200, Christoph Wilke wrote:
>> mlmmj-maintd doesn't honour the nodigestsub tunable.
>
> The nodigestsub tunable only disables subscriptions to the digest
> version of the list. It does not stop mlmmj from sending digests.
>
>> It tries to resend digests even if there aren't any at all, omitting a
>> notice for every existing non-digestive list.
>
> It should not log any notices, just because a given list has no digest
> subscribers. Which notice does it show?

this one:

May 17 18:00:01 strange /usr/bin/mlmmj-maintd[17651]: send_digest.c:229:
Notice: Could not open std mail digest: No such file or directory

Regards
Chris

* Re: Bug in mlmmj-maintd: notice on non-existing digests
@ 2009-05-17 19:09 ` Morten K. Poulsen
From: Morten K. Poulsen @ 2009-05-17 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hi Chris,

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 20:45 +0200, Christoph Wilke wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 2009 18:16, Morten K. Poulsen wrote:
> > It should not log any notices, just because a given list has no
> > digest subscribers. Which notice does it show?
>
> this one:
>
> May 17 18:00:01 strange /usr/bin/mlmmj-maintd[17651]: send_digest.c:229:
> Notice: Could not open std mail digest: No such file or directory

That indicates that your listtexts are out of sync with your mlmmj
binaries.

Sure, mlmmj does not need to prepare a digest mail in case a list has
zero digest subscribers, but checking for that would complicate things a
bit (preparation is done in mlmmj-maintd, sending is done in
mlmmj-send).

There are a few ways you can make this notice disappear:

1) touch LISTDIR/control/nodigesttext

This will make mlmmj stop looking for a text to prepend to each digest
mail.

2) touch LISTDIR/text/digest

This will install an empty digest text.

3) cp /usr/local/share/mlmmj/text.skel/de/digest LISTDIR/text/

Like #2, but will install the real digest text, just in case you will
ever want to enable digest mails.

Morten

--
Morten K. Poulsen <mopo@fabletech.com>
CTO, FableTech
http://fabletech.com/

* Re: Bug in mlmmj-maintd: notice on non-existing digests
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-05-18 10:46 ` Christoph Wilke
From: Christoph Wilke @ 2009-05-18 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hej,

On Sun, May 17, 2009 21:09, Morten K. Poulsen wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 20:45 +0200, Christoph Wilke wrote:
>> On Sat, May 16, 2009 18:16, Morten K. Poulsen wrote:
>> > It should not log any notices, just because a given list has no
>> > digest subscribers. Which notice does it show?
>>
>> this one:
>>
>> May 17 18:00:01 strange /usr/bin/mlmmj-maintd[17651]: send_digest.c:229:
>> Notice: Could not open std mail digest: No such file or directory
>
> That indicates that your listtexts are out of sync with your mlmmj
> binaries.

The ability to read helps... You are perfectly right.

[...]
> There are a few ways you can make this notice disappear:
>

> 1) touch LISTDIR/control/nodigesttext
>
> This will make mlmmj stop looking for a text to prepend to each digest
> mail.
>

> 2) touch LISTDIR/text/digest
>
> This will install an empty digest text.
>

> 3) cp /usr/local/share/mlmmj/text.skel/de/digest LISTDIR/text/
>
> Like #2, but will install the real digest text, just in case you will
> ever want to enable digest mails.

I did 1 and 3 and everything works fine now.
Thank you very much for your quick help!
And forgive me my hasty bug yelling...

Regards
Chris

* Re: Bug in mlmmj-maintd: notice on non-existing digests
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-05-18 15:43 ` Morten K. Poulsen
From: Morten K. Poulsen @ 2009-05-18 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hi Chris,

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 12:46 +0200, Christoph Wilke wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 21:09, Morten K. Poulsen wrote:
> > That indicates that your listtexts are out of sync with your mlmmj
> > binaries.
>
> The ability to read helps... You are perfectly right.

:-)

> I did 1 and 3 and everything works fine now.
> Thank you very much for your quick help!
> And forgive me my hasty bug yelling...

Kein Problem.

Morten