* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] batman network test bench
@ 2009-06-03 12:08 Marco Tozzini
From: Marco Tozzini @ 2009-06-03 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi All

I have 6 fonera stations (openwrt 8.09 + batman)
I would like to turn them on and check system stability and performance for some
time
Can you address me to a good way to test and log system performance/stability?

Thnaks
Marco

P.S.
I am available to help batman comunity with specific tests if any

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] batman network test bench
@ 2009-06-03 13:23 ` elektra
From: elektra @ 2009-06-03 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi Marco!

You could introduce massive traffic from/to as many nodes as possible
and keep them running for a long time. When I did so with Ubiquiti
Nanostations I found that the CPU power was too low to saturate the
network by downloading from /dev/zero from one node to /dev/null on
another node. (I achieved only ~ 800 kByte/sec on a single hop link -
rather than 3.3MByte/sec!) I have tried this with netcat, http, ftp,
iperf. So I connected a laptop to the LAN port of the NS2 and downloaded
from the laptop via the mesh into another laptop. Which seems to be
highly impractical in your case.

Bear in mind that depending on the version of your Foneras you are
rather going to learn about the instability of the hardware or drivers
in ad-hoc mode. Earlier versions of the Fonera have hardware stability
issues.

Recent versions of Kamikaze trunk seem to have stability issues in the
Madwifi driver again - it seems like the stuck beacon problem is back, I
have seen messages in dmesg that seem to indicate this :-(

Please check the uptime of the nodes during your tests - in case of a
malfunction the watchdog will silently reboot. Which is what happened to
me using a DIR-300 every one to three days.

For me I could fix the problem - I'm exclusively using mesh networking
for all my IT communication needs 24/7 - why would I want to use
wireless point-to-multipoint networking if I can have
multipoint-to-multipoint wireless networking ;-)  - by switching to
ahdemo mode. If you are not using ahdemo, make sure you use ad-hoc mode
with the nosbeacon aka swmerge option.

That said I prefer testing in a productive environment - of course not
all users are willing to bear a experimental network as their productive
environment ;-) But if their connectivity doesn't work in the long run
you as the admin will quickly get to know about it ;-)

Starting a little community mesh network is a great experiment on all
kinds of levels, including the social non-OSI Layer 8! And you'll learn
about technical problems you are never going to meet in your lab -
because you'll see other drivers/devices in a heterogeneous environment
trying to connect, introducing noise and trying to create IBSS-ID splits.

 From the protocol side we are keen on getting reports about the
functionality and usability, CPU load, memory consumption, protocol
overhead. However a mesh with 6 nodes is not pushing things to the limit
for the Batman protocol (well, you can decrease the OGM interval to a
much smaller value than 1 second!). But it will help developers to find
bugs in recent code changes if you happen to test new versions.

Cheers,
Elektra

@ 2009-06-06 20:30   ` marco tozzini
From: marco tozzini @ 2009-06-06 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi Elektra

Thank you for your great support
Now I have 4 station on and connected through batman

Following your tips I did setup a netcat data exchange

I had very few time to work on this project, so my main task till now
was to turn on and connect the more station I can
In the next days I would like to check if they are still there (without
watchdog reboot in the meantime) and are still transferring data

I hope I can achieve a serious test bench in the near future - I will be
back with better news

Thanks
Cheers
Marco