* [LTP] [003][RFC] [TESTING linux-2.6.30] TOMOYO Linux and pathname-based security
@ 2009-06-12  2:53 Subrata Modak
From: Subrata Modak @ 2009-06-12  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kentaro Takeda, Tetsuo Handa, Toshiharu Harada
  Cc: ltp-list, Stephen Smalley, Casey Schaufler, Serge Hallyn, Mimi Zohar

Hello Kentaro-san,

With TOMOYO Linux emerging as alternative Mandatory Access Control
alongside SELinux & SMACK in linux-2.6.30, would you like to share the
testing infrastructure of TOMYO with The Linux Test Project
(http://ltp.sf.net).

We would like to inform you that we have some robust sets of testcases
for both SELinux, SMACK, IMA, etc at
http://ltp.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ltp/ltp/testcases/kernel/security/.
And i would express to have TOMYO being tested through LTP. If you agree
to contribute some test cases in this regard to LTP under GPLv2, we can
make a modest but great beginning. What do you say ?

Regards--
Subrata

* Re: [LTP] [003][RFC] [TESTING linux-2.6.30] TOMOYO Linux and pathname-basedsecurity
@ 2009-06-14 11:44 ` Tetsuo Handa
From: Tetsuo Handa @ 2009-06-14 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: subrata; +Cc: ltp-list, haradats, sds, casey, serue, zohar, takedakn

Hello.

Sorry for late response. I had no internet access for three days.

Subrata Modak wrote:
> We would like to inform you that we have some robust sets of testcases
> for both SELinux, SMACK, IMA, etc at
> http://ltp.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ltp/ltp/testcases/kernel/security/.
> And i would express to have TOMYO being tested through LTP. If you agree
> to contribute some test cases in this regard to LTP under GPLv2, we can
> make a modest but great beginning. What do you say ?

Yes, we are willing to contribute TOMOYO's test cases to LTP.
Currently, we are using testing programs available at
http://sourceforge.jp/projects/tomoyo/svn/view/trunk/1.6.x/ccs-tools/ccstools/kernel_test/?root=tomoyo
But they are not some shell scripting programs.
Thus, I need to remake these programs to follow LTP conventions.
Can I have some documentation regarding how to write LTP testing programs?

Regards.

* Re: [LTP] [003][RFC] [TESTING linux-2.6.30] TOMOYO Linux and pathname-basedsecurity
@ 2009-06-15 19:16   ` Subrata Modak
From: Subrata Modak @ 2009-06-15 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tetsuo Handa; +Cc: ltp-list, haradats, sds, casey, serue, zohar, takedakn

On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 20:44 +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Sorry for late response. I had no internet access for three days.
>
> Subrata Modak wrote:
> > We would like to inform you that we have some robust sets of testcases
> > for both SELinux, SMACK, IMA, etc at
> > http://ltp.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ltp/ltp/testcases/kernel/security/.
> > And i would express to have TOMYO being tested through LTP. If you agree
> > to contribute some test cases in this regard to LTP under GPLv2, we can
> > make a modest but great beginning. What do you say ?
>
> Yes, we are willing to contribute TOMOYO's test cases to LTP.

Great to hear that.

> Currently, we are using testing programs available at
> http://sourceforge.jp/projects/tomoyo/svn/view/trunk/1.6.x/ccs-tools/ccstools/kernel_test/?root=tomoyo
> But they are not some shell scripting programs.
> Thus, I need to remake these programs to follow LTP conventions.
> Can I have some documentation regarding how to write LTP testing programs?

Sure. Why not. Please see:

http://ltp.sourceforge.net/
http://ltp.sourceforge.net/documentation/how-to/ltp.php
http://ltp.sourceforge.net/documentation/technical_papers/

Regards--
Subrata

@ 2009-06-18 17:31     ` Subrata Modak
From: Subrata Modak @ 2009-06-18 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tetsuo Handa; +Cc: ltp-list, haradats, sds, casey, serue, zohar, takedakn

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 00:46 +0530, Subrata Modak wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 20:44 +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Sorry for late response. I had no internet access for three days.
> >
> > Subrata Modak wrote:
> > > We would like to inform you that we have some robust sets of testcases
> > > for both SELinux, SMACK, IMA, etc at
> > > http://ltp.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ltp/ltp/testcases/kernel/security/.
> > > And i would express to have TOMYO being tested through LTP. If you agree
> > > to contribute some test cases in this regard to LTP under GPLv2, we can
> > > make a modest but great beginning. What do you say ?
> >
> > Yes, we are willing to contribute TOMOYO's test cases to LTP.
>
> Great to hear that.
>
> > Currently, we are using testing programs available at
> > http://sourceforge.jp/projects/tomoyo/svn/view/trunk/1.6.x/ccs-tools/ccstools/kernel_test/?root=tomoyo
> > But they are not some shell scripting programs.
> > Thus, I need to remake these programs to follow LTP conventions.
> > Can I have some documentation regarding how to write LTP testing programs?
>
> Sure. Why not. Please see:
>
> http://ltp.sourceforge.net/
> http://ltp.sourceforge.net/documentation/how-to/ltp.php
> http://ltp.sourceforge.net/documentation/technical_papers/

Hi,

Do you feel the above information is sufficient for your to write tests
for LTP ? Please feel free to ask us questions regarding anything to LTP
tests.

Regards--
Subrata

@ 2009-06-19  6:37       ` Tetsuo Handa
From: Tetsuo Handa @ 2009-06-19  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: subrata; +Cc: ltp-list, haradats, sds, casey, serue, zohar, takedakn

Hello.

Subrata Modak wrote:
> Do you feel the above information is sufficient for your to write tests
> for LTP ? Please feel free to ask us questions regarding anything to LTP
> tests.
Yes. I'm reading it now. Some random topics I noticed...

In http://ltp.sourceforge.net/ltpman.php ...
The "LTP test driver PAN" points to
http://ltp.sourceforge.net/ltpmantemp.php?file=man1/pan.html
but the content seems empty.
Same result for other topics.
Is ltpmantemp.php working?

In "Developing tests in ANSI-C using LTP test harness API's" at
http://ltp.sourceforge.net/documentation/how-to/ltp.php ...

> TFAIL
>    Print the test case result. The tst_resm/tst_res function prints related messages to the screen indicating a test failure. The test will exit with a non-zero exit value when tst_exit function is called.
>
>    test01    0  PASS  :  uname command exited with error code = 255

I think this is "FAIL  :  uname command exited with error code = 255".

>TWARN
>    Print warning messages. For example, when system resources are low.
>
>    test01    0  PASS  :  System low on memory, test case might fail.
I think this is "WARN  :  System low on memory, test case might fail."

There are several "amp;" which I think it meant '&'.

In "Recommendation on coding style"...

> Check for return values from system calls. Report reason appropriately using the tst_brkm() API. The recommended style is as follows:
> Use spaces instead of tab characters. Typically four spaces may be used instead of a tab character.

Ouch! I'm writing testcases in accordance with script/checkpatch.pl in Linux
kernel source tree. I expect that those who update/maintain testcases for
kernel source code likely have some experience in writing kernel patches.
Is it preferable to change codyng style in accordance with LTP?

http://ltp.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ltp/ltp/testcases/kernel/selinux-testsuite/
seems to be moved to
http://ltp.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ltp/ltp/testcases/kernel/security/selinux-testsuite/

Many programs under
http://ltp.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ltp/ltp/testcases/kernel/security/ seems
not using harness APIs...
Are these programs intended for executed by general LTP users?

* Re: [LTP] [003][RFC] [TESTING linux-2.6.30] TOMOYO Linux andpathname-basedsecurity
@ 2009-06-23 10:53       ` Tetsuo Handa
From: Tetsuo Handa @ 2009-06-23 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: subrata; +Cc: ltp-list, haradats, sds, casey, serue, zohar, takedakn

Hello.

I uploaded the programs to http://sourceforge.jp/projects/tomoyo/svn/view/trunk/2.2.x/kernel_test/?root=tomoyo .
I'll notify you again when I added more testcases.

Regards.

* Re: [LTP] [003][RFC] [TESTING linux-2.6.30] TOMOYO Linux and pathname-basedsecurity
@ 2009-06-23 14:50         ` Subrata Modak
From: Subrata Modak @ 2009-06-23 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tetsuo Handa; +Cc: ltp-list, haradats, sds, casey, serue, zohar, takedakn

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 15:37 +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Subrata Modak wrote:
> > Do you feel the above information is sufficient for your to write tests
> > for LTP ? Please feel free to ask us questions regarding anything to LTP
> > tests.
> Yes. I'm reading it now. Some random topics I noticed...
>

> In http://ltp.sourceforge.net/ltpman.php ...
> The "LTP test driver PAN" points to
> http://ltp.sourceforge.net/ltpmantemp.php?file=man1/pan.html
> but the content seems empty.
> Same result for other topics.
> Is ltpmantemp.php working?

I need to check out, as, i rarely give a look to the documentation stuff
on the website due to lack of time ;-)

> In "Developing tests in ANSI-C using LTP test harness API's" at
> http://ltp.sourceforge.net/documentation/how-to/ltp.php ...
>
> > TFAIL
> >    Print the test case result. The tst_resm/tst_res function prints related messages to the screen indicating a test failure. The test will exit with a non-zero exit value when tst_exit function is called.
> >
> >    test01    0  PASS  :  uname command exited with error code = 255
> >
> I think this is "FAIL  :  uname command exited with error code = 255".
>
> >TWARN
> >    Print warning messages. For example, when system resources are low.
> >
> >    test01    0  PASS  :  System low on memory, test case might fail.
> I think this is "WARN  :  System low on memory, test case might fail."
>

> There are several "amp;" which I think it meant '&'.
>

> In "Recommendation on coding style"...
>
> > Check for return values from system calls. Report reason appropriately using the tst_brkm() API. The recommended style is as follows:
> > Use spaces instead of tab characters. Typically four spaces may be used instead of a tab character.
>
> Ouch! I'm writing testcases in accordance with script/checkpatch.pl in Linux

Actually, you should do according to script/checkpatch.pl. Recently we
agreed to that. Alas, we have too many code to fix for this :-(

> kernel source tree. I expect that those who update/maintain testcases for
> kernel source code likely have some experience in writing kernel patches.
> Is it preferable to change codyng style in accordance with LTP?
>

> http://ltp.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ltp/ltp/testcases/kernel/selinux-testsuite/
> seems to be moved to
> http://ltp.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ltp/ltp/testcases/kernel/security/selinux-testsuite/
>

> Many programs under
> http://ltp.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ltp/ltp/testcases/kernel/security/ seems
> not using harness APIs...
> Are these programs intended for executed by general LTP users?

Correct, there are many programs within LTP which do not use the
harness. The main reason being:

Porting would have been a huge exercise, involving huge man hours. And
simply people did not have time. So, looking into the usefulness of
those tests, they were added to LTP. But, we are careful about the
incremental addition of tests in LTP, in which case, it is easy to
adhere to the harness specific standards. And hence we insist on using
those harness when new tests keep coming in.

And hence, any test without harness can be added to LTP if it returns
proper exit code, thus enabling the LTP provisioning engine to actually
report back PASS/FAIL.

From: Subrata Modak @ 2009-06-23 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tetsuo Handa; +Cc: ltp-list, haradats, sds, casey, serue, zohar, takedakn

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 19:53 +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I uploaded the programs to http://sourceforge.jp/projects/tomoyo/svn/view/trunk/2.2.x/kernel_test/?root=tomoyo .
> I'll notify you again when I added more testcases.

Great. I will see and investigate soon to find out the ways to integrate
them to LTP. Meanwhile, if you can help us with a Sign-off saying that
you do not have any issue(s) in integrating the above tests to LTP;
would be really necessary/helpful.

Regards--
Subrata

@ 2009-06-24 10:44           ` Tetsuo Handa
From: Tetsuo Handa @ 2009-06-24 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: subrata; +Cc: ltp-list, haradats, sds, casey, serue, zohar, takedakn

Subrata Modak wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 19:53 +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I uploaded the programs to http://sourceforge.jp/projects/tomoyo/svn/view/trunk/2.2.x/kernel_test/?root=tomoyo .
> > I'll notify you again when I added more testcases.
>
> Great. I will see and investigate soon to find out the ways to integrate
> them to LTP. Meanwhile, if you can help us with a Sign-off saying that
> you do not have any issue(s) in integrating the above tests to LTP;
> would be really necessary/helpful.

ccs-patch package (kernel patch for TOMOYO) and ccs-tools package (TOMOYO's
userland programs) are released under the GPL. I have no license issues.

Signed-off-by: Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@I-love.SAKURA.ne.jp>

Regards.

* Re: [LTP] [003][RFC] [TESTING linux-2.6.30] TOMOYO Linuxandpathname-basedsecurity
@ 2009-06-25  9:10             ` Subrata Modak
From: Subrata Modak @ 2009-06-25  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tetsuo Handa; +Cc: ltp-list, haradats, sds, casey, serue, zohar, takedakn

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 19:44 +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Subrata Modak wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 19:53 +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > I uploaded the programs to http://sourceforge.jp/projects/tomoyo/svn/view/trunk/2.2.x/kernel_test/?root=tomoyo .
> > > I'll notify you again when I added more testcases.
> >
> > Great. I will see and investigate soon to find out the ways to integrate
> > them to LTP. Meanwhile, if you can help us with a Sign-off saying that
> > you do not have any issue(s) in integrating the above tests to LTP;
> > would be really necessary/helpful.
>
> ccs-patch package (kernel patch for TOMOYO) and ccs-tools package (TOMOYO's
> userland programs) are released under the GPL. I have no license issues.
>
> Signed-off-by: Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@I-love.SAKURA.ne.jp>

Thanks again.

Regards--
Subrata