* bitbake-trunk python version dependency
@ 2009-06-19 11:33 Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2009-06-19 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just looked at bitbake trunk again and it appears to be broken with
python 2.6. The reason is we made some nasty hacks to the SocketServer
to enable idle callbacks and these have predictably broken on us.

The nice thing is in 2.6 a feature was added which lets us do what we
need as standard rather than hacking it in.

The question is therefore whether we make 2.6 the minimum version and
have no hacks or have some horrible workarounds for 2.5.

Unless anyone seriously objects I'm going to go with 2.6 as the minimum
version for bitbake trunk. By the time trunk is usable, 2.6 should be
pretty widespread.

Note this does not affect the 1.8 series which still has python 2.4 as
its minimum version and will continue to do so.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: bitbake-trunk python version dependency
@ 2009-06-19 15:16 ` Chris Larson
From: Chris Larson @ 2009-06-19 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 4:33 AM, Richard Purdie<rpurdie@rpsys.net> wrote:
> I just looked at bitbake trunk again and it appears to be broken with
> python 2.6. The reason is we made some nasty hacks to the SocketServer
> to enable idle callbacks and these have predictably broken on us.
>
> The nice thing is in 2.6 a feature was added which lets us do what we
> need as standard rather than hacking it in.
>
> The question is therefore whether we make 2.6 the minimum version and
> have no hacks or have some horrible workarounds for 2.5.
>
> Unless anyone seriously objects I'm going to go with 2.6 as the minimum
> version for bitbake trunk. By the time trunk is usable, 2.6 should be
> pretty widespread.
>
> Note this does not affect the 1.8 series which still has python 2.4 as
> its minimum version and will continue to do so.

2.6 sounds good to me for that branch, as you say, by the time it's
released it should be widespread.
--
Chris Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com