* [LTP] Dead End with LTP Options
@ 2009-08-18  9:07 Subrata Modak
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Subrata Modak @ 2009-08-18  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger, Garrett Cooper, Masatake YAMATO, Cai Qian,
	Paul Larson, Robbie Williamson, Nate Straz, manoj.iyer,
	Michael Reed
  Cc: ltp-list

Hi,

We are about to hit the dead end for LTP options with increasing no. of
options being added to 'runltp' with each passing day. And even with
line items i have for ltp in 2009 alone, it will easily add up to 3-4
options.

Now, this will become a mess in future:

     1. "./runltp -h" will scroll up and will not show on a single
        screen,
     2. It will be difficult for users to remember all options and their
        usage as no. of options increase manifold, which is already too
        much.

While there is no doubt that we will keep adding more punch to ltp and
the way it provisions tests in future, so, the time has come for us to
adhere to a simpler process which can be easily:

     1. Used &
     2. Maintained

I have no reservations of how it should be implemented, so, would like
to hear from you on how it can be done best. I would like to see just
the following command execute LTP as desired by the user:

./runltp

And the remaining choice of providing more options to 'runltp' hidden
somewhere.

Regards--
Subrata

* Re: [LTP] Dead End with LTP Options
@ 2009-08-18 10:05 ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2009-08-18 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: subrata; +Cc: ltp-list, Michael Reed, Cai Qian, Nate Straz, manoj.iyer

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 877 bytes --]

On Tuesday 18 August 2009 05:07:11 Subrata Modak wrote:
> We are about to hit the dead end for LTP options with increasing no. of
> options being added to 'runltp' with each passing day

so switch to longopts

>      1. "./runltp -h" will scroll up and will not show on a single
>         screen,

it's already beyond 1 screen of text

>      2. It will be difficult for users to remember all options and their
>         usage as no. of options increase manifold, which is already too
>         much.

meh, --help exists for a reason

> I have no reservations of how it should be implemented, so, would like
> to hear from you on how it can be done best. I would like to see just
> the following command execute LTP as desired by the user:

ive never used `runltp` and i probably wont start, so i dont really have any
input here on its interface
-mike

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

* Re: [LTP] Dead End with LTP Options
@ 2009-08-18 14:10 ` Robbie Williamson
From: Robbie Williamson @ 2009-08-18 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: subrata
  Cc: ltp-list, Mike Frysinger, Michael Reed, Cai Qian, Nate Straz, manoj.iyer

On 08/18/2009 04:07 AM, Subrata Modak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are about to hit the dead end for LTP options with increasing no. of
> options being added to 'runltp' with each passing day. And even with
> line items i have for ltp in 2009 alone, it will easily add up to 3-4
> options.
>
> Now, this will become a mess in future:
>
>      1. "./runltp -h" will scroll up and will not show on a single
>         screen,
I really don't see this as a problem, as I'd expect someone running the ltp to
know how to |more....or |less. ;)

>      2. It will be difficult for users to remember all options and their
>         usage as no. of options increase manifold, which is already too
>         much.
Perhaps it's time to create a manpage?

@ 2009-08-19  0:44 ` manoj.iyer
From: manoj.iyer @ 2009-08-19  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subrata Modak
  Cc: ltp-list, Mike Frysinger, Michael Reed, Cai Qian, Nate Straz, manoj.iyer

>     1. "./runltp -h" will scroll up and will not show on a single
>        screen,
>     2. It will be difficult for users to remember all options and their
>        usage as no. of options increase manifold, which is already too
>        much.

Well many applications do that, and something that cannot be avoided, you
could spend some time and remove least useful options if you want to trim
the output a little.

I think your other option is to use /etc/bash_completion and create a CLI
for
runltp. something like this:

./runltp option option option=value

for example:
./runltp <tab-tab> prints something like:
./runltp verbose prettyprint iostress ...<more options>... logfile=<enter
filename>

./runltp ver<tab-tab> expands to ./runltp verbose

./runltp verbose lo<tab-tab> expands to ./runltp verbose logfile= and the
user enters the filename.

etc. I think you get the drift.

So the user can build the command line on the fly and dont have to hit -h
then remember options etc.

You could also write the entire CLI in perl which I think offers more
flexibility to do command complition & CLI.

You can then parse those options & arguments do construct your command
line for runltp.

> to hear from you on how it can be done best. I would like to see just
> the following command execute LTP as desired by the user:
>
> ./runltp
>
> And the remaining choice of providing more options to 'runltp' hidden
> somewhere.

have you polled to see what options consumers of LTP are using? my
guess is they are just running with the options that the help command
prints at the end.