* Volunteer for V4L2+Audio at Plumbers Conference?
@ 2009-09-08  6:37 Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2009-09-08  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi all,

I'm looking for a v4l-dvb developer who is at the Plumbers Conference to
attend the audio miniconference on Wednesday morning (see schedule here:
http://linuxplumbersconf.org/2009/schedule/) and to discuss ways of
synchronizing video and audio.

I won't have time for that myself, and I also know very little about alsa.
But this is an open topic that we need to do something about and this
conference is a good place for that.

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: Volunteer for V4L2+Audio at Plumbers Conference?
@ 2009-09-08 13:41 ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2009-09-08 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: linux-media

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:37 AM, Hans Verkuil<hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a v4l-dvb developer who is at the Plumbers Conference to
> attend the audio miniconference on Wednesday morning (see schedule here:
> http://linuxplumbersconf.org/2009/schedule/) and to discuss ways of
> synchronizing video and audio.
>
> I won't have time for that myself, and I also know very little about alsa.
> But this is an open topic that we need to do something about and this
> conference is a good place for that.
>
> Regards,
>
>        Hans

Hello Hans,

I will be attending the audio seminars, since I have a keen interest
in finally getting the audio and video streams properly associated for
raw analog video (so that applications such as tvtime will work
out-of-the-box).

I would be happy to meet up with you afterward and share my notes.

Cheers,

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: Volunteer for V4L2+Audio at Plumbers Conference?
@ 2009-09-08 13:45   ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2009-09-08 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Heitmueller; +Cc: linux-media

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:37 AM, Hans Verkuil<hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for a v4l-dvb developer who is at the Plumbers Conference to
>> attend the audio miniconference on Wednesday morning (see schedule here:
>> http://linuxplumbersconf.org/2009/schedule/) and to discuss ways of
>> synchronizing video and audio.
>>
>> I won't have time for that myself, and I also know very little about
>> alsa.
>> But this is an open topic that we need to do something about and this
>> conference is a good place for that.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>        Hans
>
> Hello Hans,
>
> I will be attending the audio seminars, since I have a keen interest
> in finally getting the audio and video streams properly associated for
> raw analog video (so that applications such as tvtime will work
> out-of-the-box).
>
> I would be happy to meet up with you afterward and share my notes.

Thank you! You are now the official V4L2 audio contact person :-)

@ 2009-09-08 23:11     ` Andy Walls
From: Andy Walls @ 2009-09-08 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: Devin Heitmueller, linux-media

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 15:45 +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:37 AM, Hans Verkuil<hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm looking for a v4l-dvb developer who is at the Plumbers Conference to
> >> attend the audio miniconference on Wednesday morning (see schedule here:
> >> http://linuxplumbersconf.org/2009/schedule/) and to discuss ways of
> >> synchronizing video and audio.
> >>
> >> I won't have time for that myself, and I also know very little about
> >> alsa.
> >> But this is an open topic that we need to do something about and this
> >> conference is a good place for that.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >>        Hans
> >
> > Hello Hans,
> >
> > I will be attending the audio seminars, since I have a keen interest
> > in finally getting the audio and video streams properly associated for
> > raw analog video (so that applications such as tvtime will work
> > out-of-the-box).
> >
> > I would be happy to meet up with you afterward and share my notes.

Cool.  I was going to hit the VM related stuff in that timeslot.

> Thank you! You are now the official V4L2 audio contact person :-)

Entitled to all the rights and privledges afforded thereto.

Devin, to which of your email addresses should I send complaints? ;)

Regards,
Andy

@ 2009-09-10 17:12   ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2009-09-10 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Heitmueller; +Cc: linux-media

On Tuesday 08 September 2009 15:41:38 Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:37 AM, Hans Verkuil<hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking for a v4l-dvb developer who is at the Plumbers Conference to
> > attend the audio miniconference on Wednesday morning (see schedule here:
> > http://linuxplumbersconf.org/2009/schedule/) and to discuss ways of
> > synchronizing video and audio.
> >
> > I won't have time for that myself, and I also know very little about alsa.
> > But this is an open topic that we need to do something about and this
> > conference is a good place for that.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> >        Hans
>
> Hello Hans,
>
> I will be attending the audio seminars, since I have a keen interest
> in finally getting the audio and video streams properly associated for
> raw analog video (so that applications such as tvtime will work
> out-of-the-box).
>
> I would be happy to meet up with you afterward and share my notes.

Devin,

If we have a media controller framework, then we might be able to use that as
an alternative way to get timestamps. See note 4 at the end of the RFC that
I posted today. If it turns out that there is no decent way of handling this
in alsa, then we have at least a way out.

@ 2009-09-10 17:24     ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2009-09-10 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: linux-media

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Hans Verkuil<hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Devin,
>
> If we have a media controller framework, then we might be able to use that as
> an alternative way to get timestamps. See note 4 at the end of the RFC that
> I posted today. If it turns out that there is no decent way of handling this
> in alsa, then we have at least a way out.
>
> Regards,
>
>        Hans

Hello Hans,

I was starting to give such an idea some thought.  My concern with
such an approach would be the latency between the ioctl and the read()
operation.  Admittedly, I'm not sure though what alternative we have
if we cannot provide the data in-band.  One thought I had was to treat
the timestamp functionality as some sort of "advanced capability" not
available with the read/write interface, but that obviously doesn't
solve the ALSA problem.

Devin