* NTSC/ATSC device recommendation
@ 2009-09-08 17:45 rray_1
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: rray_1 @ 2009-09-08 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list

I would like to purchase a NTSC/ATSC device that is functional under Linux
MY only requirement is receiving FTA broadcast
Would y'all recommend a USB device or better to stick with a pci device
I have followed this list and have only become more confused

Thanks
Richard

* Re: NTSC/ATSC device recommendation
@ 2009-09-08 17:48 ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2009-09-08 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rray_1; +Cc: video4linux-list

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 1:45 PM, <rray_1@comcast.net> wrote:
> I would like to purchase a NTSC/ATSC device that is functional under Linux
> MY only requirement is receiving FTA broadcast
> Would y'all recommend a USB device or better to stick with a pci device
> I have followed this list and have only become more confused
>
> Thanks
> Richard

Have you looked at the lists in the wiki yet?

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_USB_Devices
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_PCI_Cards
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_PCIe_Cards

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: NTSC/ATSC device recommendation
@ 2009-09-08 17:56 ` Ben Swartzlander
From: Ben Swartzlander @ 2009-09-08 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rray_1; +Cc: video4linux-list

rray_1@comcast.net wrote:
> I would like to purchase a NTSC/ATSC device that is functional under
> Linux
> MY only requirement is receiving FTA broadcast
> Would y'all recommend a USB device or better to stick with a pci device
> I have followed this list and have only become more confused
>
> Thanks
> Richard

I have 2 Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-850 USB sticks in my MythTV box (Ubuntu
8.04). USB is preferable to PCI for all kinds of reasons. I bought mine
here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116031

Note that if you go with this device, you'll need to manually add the
firmware to your /lib/firmware directory. You can get the firmware here:
http://www.steventoth.net/linux/xc5000/

There are plenty of other supported devices though. When I was doing my
research, this page was an extremely useful resource for Linux ATSC
hardware: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_Devices

-Ben

* Re: NTSC/ATSC device recommendation
@ 2009-09-08 18:22   ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2009-09-08 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Swartzlander; +Cc: video4linux-list

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Ben Swartzlander<ben@swartzlander.org> wrote:
> rray_1@comcast.net wrote:
>>
>> I would like to purchase a NTSC/ATSC device that is functional under Linux
>> MY only requirement is receiving FTA broadcast
>> Would y'all recommend a USB device or better to stick with a pci device
>> I have followed this list and have only become more confused
>>
>> Thanks
>> Richard
>
> I have 2 Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-850 USB sticks in my MythTV box (Ubuntu 8.04).
> USB is preferable to PCI for all kinds of reasons. I bought mine here:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116031
>
> Note that if you go with this device, you'll need to manually add the
> firmware to your /lib/firmware directory. You can get the firmware here:
> http://www.steventoth.net/linux/xc5000/
>
> There are plenty of other supported devices though. When I was doing my
> research, this page was an extremely useful resource for Linux ATSC
> hardware: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_Devices
>
> -Ben

I'm really familiar with the HVR-850, and figured it would be worth
mentioning that the HVR-850 only very recently got analog support in
the Linux driver, and it has some issues with MythTV in particular
(which I haven't had a chance to fix yet).  So if you're planning on
doing analog with MythTV, that may not be a good device to go with
right now.

Cheers,

Devin

--

@ 2009-09-08 18:28 ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2009-09-08 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list

On Tuesday 08 September 2009, rray_1@comcast.net wrote:
>I would like to purchase a NTSC/ATSC device that is functional under Linux
>MY only requirement is receiving FTA broadcast
>Would y'all recommend a USB device or better to stick with a pci device
>I have followed this list and have only become more confused

I have been using a 'pcHDTV-3000' card for 3 or so years, works most of the
time here, and I'm definitely 'fringe' area for some of the stations I get.
One (PBS, my fav) is nearly 70 air miles.

This has been replaced by the 'pcHDTV-5500' card I believe, google for it.
Mine is regular pci, the newer one may be pci-e.
Mine also doesn't recognize the broadcast flag, I can't say for the newer
one.

Software in linux to support tv in general sucks.  You must build the latest
kaffeine to get it to sort of work with digital.  Because I have more than
one sound system here, mythtv has great video but no sound, and as near as I
can tell, no facility to make sure its using the right mixer.

tvtime, for NTSC, Just Works(TM) but the author has not to my knowledge, made
any motions toward ATSC support.  Unforch, here in the states, NTSC is
deprecated by FCC edict.

If you get the card, be sure and get the firmware that goes with it,
available freely on their site.

>Thanks
>Richard
>
>--

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and
robbers there will be.
		-- Lao Tsu

* Re: NTSC/ATSC device recommendation
@ 2009-09-08 18:29     ` rray_1
From: rray_1 @ 2009-09-08 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Heitmueller; +Cc: video4linux-list

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009, Devin Heitmueller wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Ben Swartzlander<ben@swartzlander.org> wrote:
>> rray_1@comcast.net wrote:
>>>
>>> I would like to purchase a NTSC/ATSC device that is functional under Linux
>>> MY only requirement is receiving FTA broadcast
>>> Would y'all recommend a USB device or better to stick with a pci device
>>> I have followed this list and have only become more confused
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Richard
>>
>> I have 2 Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-850 USB sticks in my MythTV box (Ubuntu 8.04).
>> USB is preferable to PCI for all kinds of reasons. I bought mine here:
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116031
>>
>> Note that if you go with this device, you'll need to manually add the
>> firmware to your /lib/firmware directory. You can get the firmware here:
>> http://www.steventoth.net/linux/xc5000/
>>
>> There are plenty of other supported devices though. When I was doing my
>> research, this page was an extremely useful resource for Linux ATSC
>> hardware: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_Devices
>>
>> -Ben
>
> I'm really familiar with the HVR-850, and figured it would be worth
> mentioning that the HVR-850 only very recently got analog support in
> the Linux driver, and it has some issues with MythTV in particular
> (which I haven't had a chance to fix yet).  So if you're planning on
> doing analog with MythTV, that may not be a good device to go with
> right now.

Thanks, that is the kind of info I was hoping for
There are still low power analog stations in my area
I would like a device that can reliably receive analog and digital

@ 2009-09-08 18:38   ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2009-09-08 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: video4linux-list

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Gene Heskett<gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
> Software in linux to support tv in general sucks.  You must build the latest
> kaffeine to get it to sort of work with digital.  Because I have more than
> one sound system here, mythtv has great video but no sound, and as near as I
> can tell, no facility to make sure its using the right mixer.

With regards to Kaffeine, it depends on your distro.  I added support
for the ATSC channel scanning over a year ago now, so it has managed
to make its way into the distros.  And the new Kaffeine that is
packaged with Ubuntu Karmic (1.0 pre1) works MUCH better with playback
of high-bandwidth ATSC streams such as CBS-HD.  So if you are using
Kaffeine and get choppy playback on some channels, I would definitely
recommend getting the latest version.

> tvtime, for NTSC, Just Works(TM) but the author has not to my knowledge, made
> any motions toward ATSC support.  Unforch, here in the states, NTSC is
> deprecated by FCC edict.

It's worth noting that tvtime has no support for digital at all.  It
is only going to support raw analog video capture devices.  Hence,
there is no support forthcoming for DVB, ATSC, QAM, or even products
that have an onboard MPEG encoder.

Cheers,

Devin

--

@ 2009-09-08 23:22       ` Andy Walls
From: Andy Walls @ 2009-09-08 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rray_1; +Cc: video4linux-list

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 13:29 -0500, rray_1@comcast.net wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009, Devin Heitmueller wrote:

> >> I have 2 Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-850 USB sticks in my MythTV box (Ubuntu 8.04).
> >> USB is preferable to PCI for all kinds of reasons. I bought mine here:
> >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116031
> >>
> >> Note that if you go with this device, you'll need to manually add the
> >> firmware to your /lib/firmware directory. You can get the firmware here:
> >> http://www.steventoth.net/linux/xc5000/
> >>
> >> There are plenty of other supported devices though. When I was doing my
> >> research, this page was an extremely useful resource for Linux ATSC
> >> hardware: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_Devices
> >>
> >> -Ben
> >
> > I'm really familiar with the HVR-850, and figured it would be worth
> > mentioning that the HVR-850 only very recently got analog support in
> > the Linux driver, and it has some issues with MythTV in particular
> > (which I haven't had a chance to fix yet).  So if you're planning on
> > doing analog with MythTV, that may not be a good device to go with
> > right now.
> >

> Thanks, that is the kind of info I was hoping for
> There are still low power analog stations in my area
> I would like a device that can reliably receive analog and digital

The HVR-1600 can do both analog and digital at the same time: Picture in
Picture in MythTV.  FM radio works too, when you're not watching analog
TV.  PCI bus.  Hardware MPEG encoder.

Regards,
Andy

@ 2009-09-09  4:41   ` CityK
From: CityK @ 2009-09-09  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Swartzlander; +Cc: rray_1, video4linux-list, Linux-media

Ben Swartzlander wrote:
> rray_1@comcast.net wrote:
>> I would like to purchase a NTSC/ATSC device that is functional under
>> Linux
>> MY only requirement is receiving FTA broadcast
>> Would y'all recommend a USB device or better to stick with a pci device
>> I have followed this list and have only become more confused
>>
>> Thanks
>> Richard
>
> I have 2 Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-850 USB sticks in my MythTV box (Ubuntu
> 8.04). USB is preferable to PCI for all kinds of reasons. I bought
> mine here:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116031
>
> Note that if you go with this device, you'll need to manually add the
> firmware to your /lib/firmware directory. You can get the firmware
> here: http://www.steventoth.net/linux/xc5000/
>
> There are plenty of other supported devices though. When I was doing
> my research, this page was an extremely useful resource for Linux ATSC
> hardware: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_Devices

That last comment made me happy to know.

Anyway, please note that this mailing list is pretty much deprecated in
favour of the LMML (which I've cc'ed in this reply).