* [dm-crypt] Building issues with latest cryptsetup package
@ 2019-09-12 10:13 Anon
From: Anon @ 2019-09-12 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1540 bytes --]

Hi,

Ime having issues trying to properly install/configure cryptsetup 2.2.1. I'm testing it in a VM with the same is as I use primarily to prevent data loss and I'm glad I did. I use Kubuntu 19.04. As luks is security software I like to stay up to date, Kubuntu includes version 2.1.0 therefore I'm trying to update it's version.

I extracted the archive, CD into it and ran: ./configure
First time got a bunch of missing dependencies such as dev-mapper header files, libssl, blkid..I got those all installed then configure ran without errors.

I then ran make, and that completed just fine. Then sudo make install, which was successful.

Once running a cryptsetup command (such as cryptsetup --version), it would give me error: cryptsetup: relocation error: cryptsetup: symbol crypt\_reencrypt\_init\_by\_passphrase version CRYPTSETUP\_2.0 not defined in file libcryptsetup.so.12 with link time reference

I have asked around on forums such as askubuntu and even Reddit with no response from anyone. I've looked up this issue on Google and no results. Know what I may be doing wrong?

As I was on VM k decided to try something risky and do: sudo update-initramfs -u and reboot afterwards. This caused cryptsetup to not be able to decrypt, kept telling me password was wrong, which it wasn't. Restoring snapshot got me back in, so I'm at a loss has to how to simply update it's version. I'm not sure if it's overwriting the current preinstalled version or creating a duplicate in a different directory.

Thank you 😊

[-- Attachment #1.1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 1571 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - 5050202089@pm.me - 0xBD005FDE.asc --]

* Re: [dm-crypt] Building issues with latest cryptsetup package
@ 2019-09-12 14:33 ` Milan Broz
From: Milan Broz @ 2019-09-12 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anon, dm-crypt

On 12/09/2019 12:13, Anon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ime having issues trying to properly install/configure cryptsetup 2.2.1. I'm testing it in a VM with the same is as I use primarily to prevent data loss and I'm glad I did. I use Kubuntu 19.04. As luks is security software I like to stay up to date, Kubuntu includes version 2.1.0 therefore I'm trying to update it's version.
>
> I extracted the archive, CD into it and ran: ./configure
> First time got a bunch of missing dependencies such as dev-mapper header files, libssl, blkid..I got those all installed then configure ran without errors.
>
> I then ran make, and that completed just fine. Then sudo make install, which was successful.
>
> Once running a cryptsetup command (such as cryptsetup --version), it would give me error: cryptsetup: relocation error: cryptsetup: symbol crypt_reencrypt_init_by_passphrase version CRYPTSETUP_2.0 not defined in file libcryptsetup.so.12 with link time reference

Check ldd over cryptsetup binary, you have apparently some older libcryptsetup library in some system path, just remove it.

(This is a new symbol added in 2.2)

m.