* A question about genhomedircon
@ 2009-11-20 18:52 Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 2009-11-20 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

Hi,

        Looking at policycoreutils-2.0.77/scripts/genhomedircon, I see:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/semodule -Bn

        Looking at the man page for semodule, it says:
 -B, --build
        force a rebuild of policy (also reloads unless -n is used)
 -n,--noreload
        do not reload policy after commit

        Given that, it would seem that genhomedircon rebuilds, but does
 not reload policy. I would expect genhomedircon to generate SELinux
 file context configuration entries for user home directories, or
 something.

        What am I missing?

        manoj

* Re: A question about genhomedircon
@ 2009-11-20 19:51 ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 2009-11-20 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

Hi,
On Fri, Nov 20 2009, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         Looking at policycoreutils-2.0.77/scripts/genhomedircon, I see:
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/sbin/semodule -Bn
>         Looking at the man page for semodule, it says:
>  -B, --build
>         force a rebuild of policy (also reloads unless -n is used)
>  -n,--noreload
>         do not reload policy after commit
>         Given that, it would seem that genhomedircon rebuilds, but does
>  not reload policy. I would expect genhomedircon to generate SELinux
>  file context configuration entries for user home directories, or
>  something.
>
>         What am I missing?

        I also note that there used to be a man page (see
 http://linux.die.net/man/8/genhomedircon  for the old contents) that
 also seems to have gone away.

@ 2009-11-20 20:11 ` Christopher J. PeBenito
From: Christopher J. PeBenito @ 2009-11-20 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manoj Srivastava; +Cc: selinux

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 12:52 -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         Looking at policycoreutils-2.0.77/scripts/genhomedircon, I see:
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/sbin/semodule -Bn
>
>         Looking at the man page for semodule, it says:
>  -B, --build
>         force a rebuild of policy (also reloads unless -n is used)
>  -n,--noreload
>         do not reload policy after commit
>
>         Given that, it would seem that genhomedircon rebuilds, but does
>  not reload policy. I would expect genhomedircon to generate SELinux
>  file context configuration entries for user home directories, or
>  something.
>
>         What am I missing?

Theres no need to reload the policy, as the policy isn't changing.  It
does, however, regenerate the file contexts, including the home dir
contexts.

--
Chris PeBenito
Tresys Technology, LLC

* Re: A question about genhomedircon
@ 2009-11-28  2:18   ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 2009-11-28  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

On Fri, Nov 20 2009, Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:

> Theres no need to reload the policy, as the policy isn't changing.  It
> does, however, regenerate the file contexts, including the home dir
> contexts.

        So the behaviour has not changed? In which case, can we bring
 back the  man page for the command?

@ 2009-12-01 22:51     ` Daniel J Walsh
From: Daniel J Walsh @ 2009-12-01 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

On 11/27/2009 09:18 PM, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20 2009, Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
>

>> Theres no need to reload the policy, as the policy isn't changing.  It
>> does, however, regenerate the file contexts, including the home dir
>> contexts.
>
>         So the behaviour has not changed? In which case, can we bring
>  back the  man page for the command?
>
>         manoj
Sounds good to me.