From: "Michał Sawicz" <michal@sawicz.net>
To: aragonx@dcsnow.com
Cc: linux-raid <linux-raid@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Several steps to death
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:12:26 +0100	[thread overview]

Dnia 2010-01-26, wto o godzinie 12:48 -0500, aragonx@dcsnow.com pisze:
> My thinking this morning is to setup a 2nd server with the 5 750GB
> disks
> and leave that as a software RAID.  Then I would purchase 2 2TB disks
> for
> my current server and just use them as-is.

Remember that if you lose any of the 2TB disks, you lose all data on
that disk. With those 5 disks in a RAID5 array, you can safely replace
any of them, without losing any data.

> Throughput is a concern though.  I currently was getting 50MB/sec over
> the
> network.  This was okay but I really wanted to get that up to 75MB/sec
> or
> more.

From a RAID5 array (when reading) you should get more than from one,
even faster, disk. Remember that with a RAID5 data is read sequentially
from N-1 disks (where N is the number of disks in your array). Writing
can be a bit slower due to parity calculation that needs to occur.

I would stay with the software RAID setup, but it seems you should try
and read some more about it. Remember to use some monitoring tools like
smartd and mdadm --monitor that will shout at you when there are
problems.

--
Cheers
Michał (Saviq) Sawicz